Easyface or Fuzz face?

Started by Calamardo, February 26, 2006, 09:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calamardo

Hello!, I just want to try one of this littles circuits, any idea?. Since i recently (last night je) built a clone of Marshall supa fuzz based on tonepad Tonebender MKII layout and sound amazing (wow!), but is a kind of monster out of control (in a good way); now i want to try somethig with Ge's but less aggressive. I cant find sound samples of Easyface and i wonder if is just a more friendly version of FF but sound basicaly the same, advantages?. Thanks!!!! and sorry for my bad bad english again :icon_redface:

radio

Depends alot what transistors you intend to use.

Germanium have lower hfe,most of the time.

I build a Coloursound OneKnob Fuzz with q1 bc107b and q2 bc108b

It will not distort in a bad way ,it's really crunchy.

So if I d used bc109c/bc549c it would be more aggressiv.

Greetings JME
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

brett

Hi.
The germanium fuzzface loads the pickups more and this helps make great tone.  However, Q1 needs to have a hFE of less than 130, and preferably between 60 and 90.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

tungngruv

The Easy Face kills!! Still one of my favorite pedals.

Calamardo

Thanks for your replys, but yet is not very clear for me: if a take the right Ges,tell me about the advantages of one or other. Can you understand my Q? :icon_mrgreen:. Thaks again!!! :

mac

There is a good sound sample at the Ge Sun Face web site. Don't remember the address but google may help.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

petemoore

Socket the caps and transitors, Trimpot Q2CR.
  You shoudl be able to interview lots of transistor types.
  And hear various gaininesses and voicing encarnations of FF.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Stompin Tom

petemoore

I don't see why anyone would want to buy or build a Fuzz Face.
   Not when you can build one able to conjure/capture 100's of FF encarnations, for a very small amount of added build cost/time.
  I'm totally disregarding the time it takes to tweek 100 FF's of course.

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

rockgardenlove

Quote from: petemoore on February 28, 2006, 12:16:09 PM
  I don't see why anyone would want to buy or build a Fuzz Face.
   Not when you can build one able to conjure/capture 100's of FF encarnations, for a very small amount of added build cost/time.
  I'm totally disregarding the time it takes to tweek 100 FF's of course.

I personally build pedals because I enjoy it.  It is more ecenomical too, but still. 

petemoore

Easyface or Fuzz face?
  Only if I knew which I wanted would I build a permanent board, shoot I have 2 of whats I wants for FF's and the boards both have sockets 'n trimpots.
  Since these take a board, and you're building it...trying both circuits [both are FF one is a Ge/Si hybrid IIUthe differences correctly] is really a nominal added cost/task, the sockets for transistors saves heat damage anyway, I can't see building a FF with a fixed Q2CR anyway, especially since I know what that does.
  You know you're going to want to mess with Q2C bias, at least once to dial it in. I just can't see a first time FF-er Not having a trimpot instead of Q2CR...it's like a bukk...goes right in there...makes your FF bias transistors real easy.

burnt fingers

build em both.  Socket everything and decide which you like. 

.02 outta the college fund.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music