21 (44.7%)
the Service
0 (0%)
You're learning it all from this board!
12 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: September 09, 2003, 09:01:03 PM

Rodgre

I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge from the folks on this board. I was curious as to where you all learned what you know.

I began by reading Craig Anderton's Electronic Projects for Musicians when I was in Jr. High School. That got me started until I went to high school, where I went to a vocational school specifically to learn Electronics (and to run the in-house radio station in the Electronics Shop!!!!).

Since then, I've learned a lot on the internet, mostly from folks on this board (Jack, R.G., etc.)

I'm still learning. I learn something new everyday it seems.

Roger

Rob Strand

I don't actually fit into your poll categories.  I'm a professional (cough) design engineer and I have been to college/university (basically so I can wave a piece a paper around at employers so they think I know what I'm doing), but really I'm self taught - I think that's the only way to learn electronics.  I've played with electronics since I was about 8 and must of only attended about 5 electronics lectures in all my years of university (and some of those times  were compulsary class quizes).
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

rx5

it all started when i was in high-school..... then through books...then actual experiments...lately, i get more info through the net...

subdivided :

1>general electronics
2>robotics (BEAM)
3>guitar gadgets ( i get the best info on the net)

:)
BE d Bezt, Urz D Rezt... RoCk ON!!!

Peter Snowberg

I started when I was about 5 with batteries, jumper clips, light bulbs and toy motors. By 7, I started using simple TTL. It helps to grow up next to Silicon Valley.

I got most of my inspiration by taking things apart to see what made them tick (including my father's Ham Radio gear!  :roll: ). These days I always encourage kids to take boxes apart to understand them. :D

Why should anybody let a #2 Philips come inbetween them and knowledge?
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Roland

Started out at a young age. Built my own amp, all self taught by this time via libraries and old timers. Then I got into building effects. Craig anderton's book was a godsend. Figured I'd go for the pro training . Graduated and worked for the govt. tracking sat's and repairing all the necessary equipment , fantastic work by the way.

Funny, most knowledge came from pre tech training and after training. The papers are good for getting good jobs and the training is good for theory, math and more math. Fortunately the college I went to was heavy on hands on and test equipment which came in handy in later years as they had the latest tech gear and most work places had ancient gear.

Kinda neat when your the only tech that knows how to operate the "new spectrum analyzer" and the "time domain reflectometer".

Ansil

i started in electronics around age six or seven, using the motors out of stereos and stuff doing mechanical stuff like making small hovercraft type devices, then tyco came out with their rc hovercraft.. arghhhhhhhhh   oh well, fromt here i re wired tape players and such to do what i wanted them to do , ie backwards and such.  i got into guitar rewiring and made some money took basic electronics in highschool, advance digital stuff in college and building pedals a couple of years ago,before that i built comlpex switching systems for my guitars and fx switching