Your Favorite DIY Builds

Started by Guitar Toad, March 02, 2006, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitar Toad

What are you favorite builds? Which stompbox have you built and loved so much that you thought every DIYer should do? Not just because it was a good build-exercise but perhaps you either totally loved how it sounded or you learned something new by this build.

Has designing and building your own pedal given you the most satisfaction...because it's taylored to your sonic tastes.

theundeadelvis

ROG Tube Reamer, Tremulus Lune, Rebote 2.5, Maestro S/H (not in any particular order).
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

alteredsounds

May Queen - BSIAB2 - Thunderchief - Slow Gear (from what I can tell) - did i say May Queen? :)

pi22seven

The Rangemaster is my fave.

It amazes me that 1 tranny and a couple of caps and resistors can make a guitar sound so good.

radio

Nothing spectacular,as I started modding,building entire pcb since last year.

A clone between Dist+ and Liquid Drive,which I will make 2of a kind in one

enclosure and a fuzz 1knob from colorsound with very low gain Si Transistors

I m kind of slow as I ike to test ANY mod I read but the result is playable!

I also like when they work with bass guitar too as I sometimes play it too

for one hour ;) .

Greetings JME
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Guitar Toad

Quote from: pi22seven on March 02, 2006, 03:51:56 PM
The Rangemaster is my fave.

It amazes me that 1 tranny and a couple of caps and resistors can make a guitar sound so good.
The Rangemaster is on my list.

Quote from: radio on March 02, 2006, 03:53:03 PM
Nothing spectacular,as I started modding,building entire pcb since last year.

A clone between Dist+ and Liquid Drive,which I will make 2of a kind in one

enclosure and a fuzz 1knob from colorsound with very low gain Si Transistors
Greetings JME

Liquid Drive. I love that name.

Ge_Whiz

ROG Peppermill, ROG EA tremelo, Tim E.'s Tripple Fuzz.

lethargytartare

Hands down:  Ugly Face.
I love the noise and the range of actually very usable distortions; when oscillating, it's like a theramin -- I added an expression pedal on the frequency pot and use it like that for ridiculous solos; and with a delay, it just gets to be too fun and crazy.  Plus it's an amazingly simple build.

Second Place: Dragonfly's Sparkleboost:  the most simple build I've worked on, and an impressively clean boost.  Extremely good at what it was designed to do, and nothing exotic or complex about it, so you could crank them out all day long if you wanted.  In that sense, to me, it has the highest utility value.

Honorable Mention:  BSIAB2.  Although I'd probably say it's the best pedal qua pedal out of the three, and the best distortion with the broadest range of uses.  Phenomenal sustain, great distortion, and serious output -- just a fantastic pedal.

ltt

ezanker

I really like my Sparkle Boost, Blue Magic and EA Trem.  I especially like the Sparkle Boost feeding into the Blue Magic.

Honorable mentions: BSIABII and Uglyface.

Paul Marossy

Dr. Boogey, Shaka Tube and the original BSIAB.

MartyMart

Here's some I would advise anyone to build/use/abuse with no reservations :
Tube Reamer
Sparkle Boost
AMZ Mosfet Boost
RangeBlaster
Fat Boostered
"The Crank"
Big Muff
RM Fuzz Face
Unidrive
Easy Face
Easy Drive
Tripple Fuzz
Neo Octavia
Kay Tremolo
Phase 45/Univibe mods
Vulcan/Jfet Vulcan
Blackfire
Dr Boogey
Peppermill
Colorsound Overdriver
Thunderchief
Supreaux
BSIAB II
Fetzer Valve ...... did I miss some ?

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Xlrator

BSIAB and the PT80. The 2 that I use the most and turned out flawlessly for me.  :icon_mrgreen:
Listen to cKy!

MartyB

Hot Harmonics, Dynacomp, Real McTube, Foxx Tone Machine, Splitter-Blender, Harmonic Percolator.

brett

Fuzz face (OC)
RM Axis Fuzz (2N3904 and 2N3906)
Rangemaster (AC188)
Tubescreamer (NE5532, 3 x 1N4148)
Aussie compressor (386, BS170)
Bosstone/Buzztone (2N3904 and 2N3906)
Stratoblaster (J201)
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

b_rogers

ROG multi-face. first build and still kicks ass...a tweakers dream and better sounding than any FF i have built.
Hwy89.
RM Axis.
Vulcan.
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

RaceDriver205

MXR Phase 45/90 - metal distortion through these sounds awesome, oh and you can be more tastefull of course.
Small clone Chorus - Very good pedal
SC Digital Reverb - It can be customized to sound like your in a cave n stuff, great for spacey use of distortion
Dr Boogie - BUILD THIS!
SC Tremolo - Smooth sine wave modulation, and with distortion it sounds the bomb

Someone really needs to post a design for a high flange-ratio flanger, thats the only thing i havent build, and its the best effect IMO there is.
And NOT the infinite flanger thanks. For the price of those obsolete chips i may as well buy one from a store.

powerplayj

BSIABII - most versatile with a clean amp (Hendrix --> EVH)

PT-80 Delay - not many bells and whistles but dead quiet
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

je32ff

PT-80 w/charge pump to run on 9v
eighteen from ROG
FF

Processaurus

The ones that the you design or develop mods for, they're 1 of a kind

For best sounding, the Great Cheddar project at Geo, but with a footswitchable extra 20x gain to put it into muff territory.

For most useful for performing, 2 loop selector/ TB box.  Every pedalman/pedallady should have one .  It helps avoid a lot of little confusing tap dancing and give you more time for staring the same person in the eye for 45 minutes.

hari

It would be better if you also put the source of the layouts or schematics, so we will be sure which layouts are verified. :icon_biggrin:

thanks
peace...