True bypass crybaby still cut highf requency ?! (pics included)

Started by Nuts, March 08, 2006, 07:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuts

Hi !
I have Donlup Crybaby wah wah, and I recently mod it for true bypass as shown here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/tb4.html

but I notice that when the pedal turned off, I could still hear the high frequency cut !

Does anyone know how can I solve it ?
Does it happened to anyone else ?
Thanks

Paul Marossy

You must be used to hearing very accented highs with your wah turned on and when you go to bypass mode, it sounds dull or something. The bottom line is that it is not possible to get tone sucking in a wah that is true bypassed. Your problem must lie elsewhere.  :icon_confused:

Nuts

I'm checking the sound of the guitar plugged straight to the amp, then plugging it to the crybaby when it turned of, and the high requency cuts

Paul Marossy

QuoteI'm checking the sound of the guitar plugged straight to the amp, then plugging it to the crybaby when it turned of, and the high requency cuts

Then it must not be truly true bypassed...

mrsage

Quote from: Nuts on March 08, 2006, 01:13:36 PM
I'm checking the sound of the guitar plugged straight to the amp, then plugging it to the crybaby when it turned of, and the high requency cuts

Yes, either it's not Truly Bypassed, or it's your cables (which is entirely possible...2 cables = more attenuation than 1 cable).

Your best test would be to make a true bypass loop box, put the wah in there, and see if you notice a difference in the sound.

Either that, or try putting a buffer at the start of your chain (such as a Zvex SHO or a bypassed Boss pedal). Then see if you notice a difference when you take the wah out of the chain.

Paul Marossy

Yeah, cables are something to look at. Some cables have a lot of capacitance and will whack your tone - don't expect a $5.00 cord to work well.  :icon_wink:

formerMember1

true bypass pedals can be a problem.  If you plug into your amp with a 15foot cord.  then try plugging into your amp with a 15foot cord to a wah, thena 15foot cord to the amp.  You will notice tone sucking from the cables.

use all truebypass pedals and you are asking for treble loss!!

Paul Marossy

Quoteuse all truebypass pedals and you are asking for treble loss!!

Yep, this is possible. Same argument that Pete Cornish uses basically. That's also a good excuse for buying quality cables.  :icon_wink:

Nuts

formerMember1

you must have your wah wired wrong. like paul mentioned

Nuts

Here's the wiring :

dickwiewy

From the photo it appears  that the 2 blue wires coming from the switch terminate at the pot. True bypass allows the connection from input jack to output jack  in one of the switched positions. A wire from the switch must be connected to the output jack directly. I hope this helps. Noel Grassy
Manic dangers lie hidden in hobbies thatsimulate mental detachment, causing bookworm dementia when out-of-body psyche, when in a state of libidoless ectasy, trips the trigger that springs a parallel dimension nerd snare-Robt. Williams

deadsnake

I'm having the same problem but my pedal doesn't have true-bypass. I made a topic and they showed this article at GEO.
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

scroll down where it says Common Problems, read the Loss of Signal Level. this one is sure to help.