Question About Tubescreamers - TS808, TS9 & TS10

Started by Paul Marossy, March 08, 2006, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I have noticed that the main difference between the TS808 and the TS9/TS10 is two resistors on the ouput. Is a TS9/TS10 louder than a TS808? It looks to me like that is what they were trying to accomplish in the TS9/TS10. Has anyone ever A/B'd them?

Just curious...  :icon_cool:

MartyMart

TS808 --> TS9 two resistors (100k to10k 470ohm to 100ohm) and possibly opamp change from TA75558
TS9 --> TS10 above and input buffer bias is different, extra tranny (Q6) and a couple more resistors,like
R6 220ohm can be jumpered.
This was possibly for more output, I think it's a output buffer/vol rec !

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

Hmm... the schematic/mode notes at GGG make it appear that only 2-3 resistors are all the seperates the three...

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

TheBigMan

Marty is correct about the extra components.  The 5 and 7 are direct copies of the 9 circuit wise, maybe with a few differences in the bypass circuitry and the 7 has the switchable modes.

I had read somewhere though that the changes to the output buffer were to make a better impedence match to a solid state amps input.  I've never been able to confirm this either way though.

Paul Marossy

QuoteI had read somewhere though that the changes to the output buffer were to make a better impedence match to a solid state amps input.  I've never been able to confirm this either way though.

That would sort of make sense. Looking at the schematic, the output impedance would be higher on the TS9/TS10 than on the TS808...