News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

PROJECT: Crossbar

Started by Peter Snowberg, March 12, 2006, 09:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Abbott

I don't see any references to designs and pcb patterns, did this one ever get off the ground as a community build?

Thanks for you help, as I'm looking for a PIC project that will maintain my interest.   :icon_redface:

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Chuck

Just so you know....  Still working on the Kitchen.
I'm probably taking the summer off from this project.
But I intend to finish the UI.

Chuck

Quote from: KB on May 25, 2007, 11:07:38 AM
Quote from: Chuck on May 25, 2007, 09:27:48 AM

Right now my wife has me stripping kitchen cabinets.

Been there, done that..... feel for you... :icon_biggrin:

will keep watching the progress.... Looking forward to seeing the completed switching unit.

I still cannot get a little one working, and all I had to do was program a PIC, with the supplied code....

Kevin

Well, I finally finished striping, sanding, staining, poly, sanding, poly all the kitchen cabinets.  They look great.  I'm glad thats behind me, what a pain in the ass that was.

All I have left is paint and flooring.  Then its back to building.

bent

keep on chuck... its amazing..... :o

bent
Long live the music.....

bent

Chuck, I must ask something,  ???

probably many people are like me, able to do some stombox without problem , can read a schematic,and reproduce it easily, know the basic in resistance / capacitor.... stuff like that... but no knowledge in programming....

- How hard or easy would it be to do a project like yours ,
- did you get or have a complete schematic,
- Do i (we) need to completed a degree in school to be able to do the programming or once the project it's done, the basic programming could be shown in a book or on the net...

thank's

Bent

Long live the music.....

Chuck

Quote from: bent on July 17, 2007, 08:52:12 AM
Chuck, I must ask something,  ???

probably many people are like me, able to do some stombox without problem , can read a schematic,and reproduce it easily, know the basic in resistance / capacitor.... stuff like that... but no knowledge in programming....

- How hard or easy would it be to do a project like yours ,
- did you get or have a complete schematic,
- Do i (we) need to completed a degree in school to be able to do the programming or once the project it's done, the basic programming could be shown in a book or on the net...

thank's
Bent

Thats hard for me to answer.
1.  Probably hard for someone who doesn't know programming.
2.  I didn't copy any schematic.  I posted one a while back, I'm about to refine it.
3.  I don't have a degree in programming.  But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express.  :)

I think its something you can work out.  If you play with the boards on http://www.ucapps.de/ and check out the code there, it will give you a better clue.  Get the Core Module, a DIN and a DOUT and buy a usb/midi interface.  The rest is all just checking out the code.  The board I'm working in interfaces with the core module like a DOUT module would.

By the way R.G. -- I got a good idea to follow up on soon.

And to all, I'm done with the cabinets and am painting this weekend.  Then a little trim and its back to play time.

bent

Thank's for the info chuck...you give me the kick in the  :-X to make me start learning programming, i found few place to start.... :icon_biggrin:

keep posting your progress... i'll definitly keep a eye on this topic   :icon_wink:

Bent
Long live the music.....

Chuck

I officially finished the kitchen project today.
I have an Egnater M4 coming in the next few weeks which may delay things.  But its full speed aheard soon.

bent

Hey Chuck,

does your project is still alive?  :icon_wink:

bent
Long live the music.....

Chuck

Chuck

Sorry for the delay.  Life gets busy.

So here is a prototype 1 RU version with 8 jacks.
(The two extra jacks on the ends are about to be removed.)

I have a 16 jack version almost ready for milling, but finding a case larger then 1.48 inches tall is a pain.

Just letting you guys know its progressing.

Dave_B

Excellent work, Chuck!  Have you tried Par-Metal for rack enclosures?  They're very popular over on the Prodigy Pro forum.  Where did you say you bought the nav button?  You mentioned it previously but I couldn't find the button or the prices.
Help build our Wiki!

Chuck

Thanks.  No, Par-Metal is actually rather small.  Inexpensive though.
Here is the link to the switches. http://www.mec.dk/files/mec_1206_v6_web_UK-12.pdf
I had to change them out since I this enclosure isn't tall enough. 

Mistake number 137.
Make sure your mill holes in the front panel which permit clearance for the buttons to move.

I had this milled at Front Panel Express.  The work is excellent.  My holes line up great as well.  They just aren't big enough.
I'm not going to bother filing them out, I'll just order a version 2.

danngreen

Quote from: Chuck on January 07, 2008, 03:52:15 PM
Mistake number 137.
Make sure your mill holes in the front panel which permit clearance for the buttons to move.

I had this milled at Front Panel Express.  The work is excellent.  My holes line up great as well.  They just aren't big enough.
I'm not going to bother filing them out, I'll just order a version 2.

uh oh. How much clearance did you leave? I just ordered panels from FPE. I'm worried now i didn't leave enough clearance. I think I made the panel 10 mil wider and taller than the buttons. Oh well we'll find out next week when they arrive!

Chuck

I wasn't that smart.  I didn't leave any clearance.

Their work is excellent.  I'm really impressed.

danngreen

Yes, I was impressed with Front Panel Express too! very nice looking...  I gave 10 mil around the buttons and that turns out to be enough clearance. However I left no clearance around the 7-segment LED display and I had to file around the edges (just a few strokes per edge). Piece of cake! I posted photos on the bendmatrix thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=58301.0

Dave_B

Man.  This one looked so close to being done.   :icon_frown:
Help build our Wiki!

Transmogrifox

For the complexity and cost of this project I don't know why one wouldn't just go totally digital with 8EA 24-bit DAC/ADC modules and turn this into a DSP machine.  This isn't too far off from the Allen & Heath IDR.  Other similar products (digital matrix mixers) are Rane's RPM-88 and Lectrosonics DM series processors.  I can almost guarantee the noise and distortion added by each A/D D/A conversion is far less than that caused by the stompbox connected to it.  This is the kind of gear that would allow a sound guy to manage your live show in Chicago from a beach chair in Hawaii

I realize it doesn't cater well to the metallic contact purist, but seems to be a much more elegant way of doing this.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

eleanor296

wow... and I just now found this thread...
I wish this would have been completed.
I've recently turned into a rack nerd, and this would be a wish-come-true, considering the price of a Switchblade.
*sigh*  ::)

tysonlt

Hey, I'm still watching!

(and this is my first post)