3PDT question

Started by sadave, March 13, 2006, 03:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadave

Is it possible to use one 3PDT switch to switch between speaker cabinets and amp channels with an LED? In other words one column would be for A/Bing between two speaker cabs, the middle for LED, and the third column for sending guitar signal to one of two channels. Likely, possible or just plain stoopid? Thanks.

Mark Hammer

Not "stoopid", but potentially pointless.  If cab A always gets switched to when the guitar gets sent to amp A, and cab B always gets switched to when the guitar gets sent to amp B, then why not just leave the cabs wired to their respective amps and just switch where you send the guitar?  A lot less risky for the amps and speakers.

sadave

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. There's only one amp. But the speaker cabs are so different that one needs a volume boost and completely different tone settings. So the "vibrato" channel would route to the amp's speaker and the "normal" channel would be cranked up and routed to the other cab ( a leslie). I was just hoping to accomplish this with one step instead switching cabs then stepping on a boost etc.

Processaurus

the typical 3pdt may not be rated for kind of current you need to drive a big guitar cab, a beefy relay would be a better choice.

TimF

i agree a switch that can handle more current is needed to switch speakers. You can only do this with a solid state power amp. DO NOT do this with a tube amp! You will damage the amp. A tube power amp always needs a load. There are several companies that make a product that does this.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-cabbone.htm

sadave

Thanks for that info. I'll start searching for cabinet switcher projects now. The Tonebone looks great but insanely expensive. Any other ideas?