Boscorelli projects

Started by Rodgre, September 10, 2003, 12:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I think I may have asked this before, maybe here, maybe on the old forum.

Has anyone actually built a project out of Nicholas Boscorelli's book? There are so many projects in it that I wanted to build, but for some reason, complexity more than anything else, I never got around to building anything.

Anyone?

Roger

JT

come to think of it ........i really want a copy of this book.......There was some not so heated talk on the old forum about someone posting a PDF of the book...........Its a shame we all can't share in reading the book :(

dubs

I don't see an issue with making a Pdf of the book to share since the book is out of print!

If people are cloning circuits of pedals out of production, shouldn't the same principle be for books as well?

Ge_Whiz

Out of print or not, a book is still subject to the copyright laws. As, for that matter, are FX circuits...

Mike Nichting

"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

moosapotamus

Quote from: dubsIf people are cloning circuits of pedals out of production, shouldn't the same principle be for books as well?
I'm in the same camp as dubs... The book is not only out of print. It's very rare that an available copy can even be found. And, no one with any rights to financial interests or intellectual property ownership has made a peep. So, I say, if no one cries infringement, then there's no infringement.

I have no ethical dilema, whatsoever. Unless someone has personal stake or ownership in this stuff, I also have no more patience for reading diatribes on the ethics of sharing intellectual property. So, if that's what you're thinking right now, please don't bother to post it (sorry). [/rant off]

Honestly, I would never consider posting copyrighted material that was actually available. But, if folks like myself weren't around to pass this kind of stuff along, it would be lost. That would be a shame. If someone with any authority or claim of ownership asked me to remove the scans from my web site, I would be happy to comply.

Finally, to actually reply to Roger's initial question... :lol:

I have built the Distort-O-Matic II. As presented, I didn't get anything very interesting sounding out of it. But, it requires a bi-polar power supply (two batteries). So, I put a 10K trimmers on both the positive and negative sides of the supply, and was able to get some great, very raunchy, synthy sounding fuzz/distortion by starving it a bit. So then, since two batteries are a drag, I tried using a MAX1044 to provide the bipolar supply. But, the sound was quite different. Starving it in the same way sounded nothing like it did when using two batteries, nowhere near as good. Not sure why, tho.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

RickL

I've built a batch of 'em. Three or four of the distortions, the EQ's and a couple of others that I don't recall. They all worked first time. I'm glad I bought the book before it became unavailable.

afranks

ok-

Who has a copy and doesn't mind it being scanned?  I'd be happy to
do the scanning and conversion to PDF.  I would just need someone
to loan me the book for a couple of days.  If you're not comfortable
replying in this forum, feel free to send me an email:

afranks@beckmanntechnologies.com

-apf

ps- I'll be glad to find a place to host the PDF as well.

Rodgre

a couple of days? Those are going to be LONG days. It's a pretty thick book.

I would scan some stuff, but I think it would take more like a week of long days to scan that thing.

Roger

Marcos - Munky

I'm very interested in those projects. Will be great if anybody scan some projects, and it's a great idea to make a PDF version of the book. I think Charlie are right, if good things aren't passed along they will be lost.

afranks

Well... maybe more than a couple days then.  8)

I've never actually seen a live copy of the book, despite
my best efforts, which is pretty much why I'm offering
to do it.  It might take a little while, but my offer still
stands.

Any takers... see my previous message for my email
address.  I'll make sure you get a PDF copy on CD along
with your book.

-apf

JT

Isn't there a clause on copyrighted stuff  when used for educational purposes  and not for profit? I could have sworn i have heard that before .maybe i'm wrong

Mike Nichting

Having never built any of the circuits, are there any that do sound awesome??

Thanks
Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

aron

I gotta find mine.

BTW: I think if you have a mismatch on the caps, the shape will take longer on one side vs another.

At least I think that's what happened to mine. I never noticed it, but my friend did.

zgrav

if there is some effort to create a pdf "library" of boscorelli's works, I hope we can include his newsletters in it as well.  They were described as being very comprehensive supplements to his book.

Anyone have any comments on the newsletters?  Recommendations? Faves?

Jay Doyle

Personally I think that if we don't post some effects makers schematics out of respect, we shouldn't post Mr. Boscorelli's stuff either.

Also, because the works are copywrited whoever was offended or "harmed" legally by the public posting wouldn't necessarily have to ask you to remove them first, they could just sue you for $100,000 for copywrite infringement, and win.

At most I would suggest redrawing a schematic of one of the projects that you have built with a summary of what was written along with your experiences, ideas, mods, etc.

My thoughts,

Jay Doyle