"Bi-Comprossor" in the works. Some questions.......

Started by Xavier, March 16, 2006, 10:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Finally I'm attempting my most ambitious build to date :icon_mrgreen:

The OS has worked first time , me thinks. I never played through it before. Seems to me it boosts the signal, but the compression effect doesn't seem to be much noticeable until halfway of the pot.....is this normal? I've built it as per Torchy's single knob vero layout, using j201 transistors, an OA91 germ diode and normal ceramic disc caps. The trimmer adjustment is kind of weird. until the first 30% there's no sound, then it appears and seems not to have an audible effect.

The RS has been built as per Toney's vero layout. After some debugging (I found out that my vero board was 13x29 instead os 13x30...), and changing a couple of bad placed components (a capacitor and the wiper of the trimmer...) , it works. BOY IT DOES. Haven't played with the trimmer, it's halfway, but it's squishy as hell. Me likey :icon_mrgreen:. Just a couple of questions:

I've used a 1MA for the sustain knob. Still it has most of the effect at the last 75%. Should I use a reverse log?
I have ommited the last capacitor C16 as some people reported it to add too mush hiss and treble. So far it sounds right to my ears without it. I'll try it though.
The SPDT. Position "1" (up) seems to give the most output and squish. Positions "2" and "3" yield less output, but I can't hear any difference between them. Is this normal?