TUBE-WAH (R) finished: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Pics

Started by puretube, March 16, 2006, 03:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

puretube

with built-in switched HV converter:

top-view:

StephenGiles

Looks good Ton, how safe is the tube from breaking?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

toe down, the tube is almost completely fenced.

(btw.: that was a feasibilty study;
Larry Graham`s keyboarder played it at my studio
on april 13th, 1996...).

Mark Hammer

I'm VERY intrigued by the dual secured (with pinch rollers) rack & pinion system.  What problems or user issues was it intended to address?  Does it feel smoother at all?  I ask partly because the rack & pinion mechanisms are available for generally under a couple of dollars, and if they, for instance, provide for longer scratch-free pot life or stompswitch life by reducing any off-axis stress, then its worth thinking about adapting existing pedals for them (where physically possible).

puretube

it comes from this 1993 study:

where I wanted a visible view of the gear,
and didn`t have a possibility for mounting the traditional tangential thing.
(also I don`t like friction and visible grease).

Since I come from the tape-age, too,
the good old capstan came to mind;

also especially well suited for dual "talking" purposes
with more than 1 pot...  :icon_wink:

(somewhere I must have a contemporary live-recording of our band,
where this Tube-Wah (R) is heard on "I Shot the Sheriff"
[LP>Tube-Wah>SOB])

Mark Hammer

Well that's positively brilliant!  One rack moves two pinions (or is it one pinion moves two racks, I always get them confused) in opposite directions.  I gather this is generally not the sort of thing that existing commercial wah shells can be modified to do though, and needs a custom constructed shell.

Still, if you can swing it, it suggests a variety of productive uses, such as adjustments to Q with centre frequency, or adjustments to phaser sweep width while sweeping LFO rate, and so on.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Not only are the Dutch socially progressive, but clearly they're ahead in pedal thinking too! :icon_lol:

puretube

they even do x/y to move 2 pots independently:

Mark Hammer

Oof!!   :icon_eek:   Well now we've moved from the realm of beautiful images to gynecology textbooks!! :icon_lol:

R.G.

Somewhere along the line of complexity before I got to twin counterrotating pots, I'd have this tremendous urge to go to a PIC and a dual digital pot.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

puretube

puretube

another design-study (close to the final look...)  :

Processaurus

Pretty stuff, really intense mechanical design work too, its all so customized.  Have you seen the construction of the Mu-tron Vol/Wah up close?  Your work reminds me of that level of seriousness with regards to expression.

Beyond the joy of their fantastic Rube Goldberg-edness, I'm curious why you chose to do the two pots mechanically, rather than electronically, either optically or with PWM resistor techniques?

puretube

err, there was an optical version too, at the feet of M.M. & PT, in Frankfurt MusikMesse `98 or so...

zoomed:

closer-up guts:

JimRayden

Besides your all-tube solutions, which I find highly fascinating and obviously great-sounding, I must say I love your mechanical solutions. Not particularly wah-related but all of your metalwork is just outstanding.

Can't wait to see you post more pictures of your gear or spring flowers. :D

----------
Jimbo

puretube

news from the TUBE-WAHTM shell-mold front:

(not CNC made, but hand-formed...)

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

idlechatterbox

I'll second the  :o

that #*%& is just amazing. Heck, even if it doesn't make any sound, it deserves to win a design award

puretube

while browsing the vaults/archives of my old record-company
(Wau-Yei Records)
I happened to come across a live recording on cassette
from 1-9-1994 where the
TUBE-WAH(R)
made its first live appearance on stage with the
E-Werk-Band...

:icon_surprised:

uhh - now how to convert that tape into webbability...

:icon_eek:

[EDIT]: yes, it was the version depicted in reply #5

Big Red

you could get a 1/8 male to 1/8 male chord and run it from your cassette player to your mic or line in on your computer and use something as simple as "sound recorder" on windows, or something better.

how did you make the shell? is that fiberglass?