News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Paia kits?

Started by Rodgre, September 10, 2003, 12:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

Bi-Filter? Do you mean the "Dual Filter Voicing Unit"? That's a great project. It was the main tone shaper in my live rig for years.

The Anderton Bi-Filter Follower is more like a Bass Balls-type envelope filter.

Roger

Greek Acrobat

Err, yeah the dual filter voicing unit - that's the one. My mistake. It sounds really cool, can't wait to build it but I guess I'm gonna have to.
d a e r h t a y b g n u h

puretube

a pile of Heathkit (tube-) schematics was my greatest treasure in the late
sixties...

//www.puretube.com

Peter Snowberg

I built a 'Tube Head' a few years back. It was nothing to write home about, but it was a good kit.

My hat's off to them for doing what they do. :)

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

V!N

Quote from: RodgreI'll give it a "shot" later this afternoon.

Roger

Any luck yet ?

Rodgre

I'm at the studio now (just finished a long session) and I'll grab the Synthespin on my way out and take a few photos tomorrow AM.

Roger

Rodgre

I'm at the studio now (just finished a long session) and I'll grab the Synthespin on my way out and take a few photos tomorrow AM.

Roger

drew

Paia stuff (I have had a Fatman and some effects) seems to be a good way to get into building effects. About ten years ago when I started doing DIY audio stuff there really weren't any other companies doing anything similar. None of it has an exemplary sound but it's fun and pretty easy to build, as well as remaining pretty cheap.

These days there are enough schematics online and enough people trying to build them that it seems most of what's online works pretty well, which was not always the case... but even given the support of a bunch of other effects people, it's nice to have a proper manual and a kit full of parts in front of you if you don't quite know everything that's going on yet.

drew

dougharrison

I've built the following:

Tube Mic Pre, Hot Springs Reverb, and the Hisswhacker.

The Tube Mic Pre and Hot Springs are decent, but I didn't get much use out of the the Hisswhacker.  

There are some mods posted at tapeop.com that I want to try on the Tube Mic Pre-- replacing the 5532's with Burr Brown opamps, replacing certain capacitors, and replacing the 7025 with a different brand of tube.

I had to call PAIA for help once or twice when building one of their kits, and the guy I talked to was very helpful.

V!N

Come on guys ! We're gonna bring back this little Synthespin :)

I took the barely legable hammer-PDF and created a very usable parts layout:

Well eh .. like uhm, yeah .. I have no idea where the traces on the PCB run. But apart from that, it's very usable ! :)

I can't read schematics that good yet, I have done all my projects with the help of PCB traces and parts layouts, even my first few point-to-point pedals on perfboard.

Perhaps if there is anyone who can read the schematic (duh?) and could run a few rough lines in Paint or anything, I will create a neat and tidy PCB in Illustrator.

I haven't done anything with the pots, switches, jacks and power suply or any of the off-board wiring and the BOM also needs to be made ..

Anyone feel like helping an ambitious rocker/tech ? ;)

Rodgre, how is the photoshoot coming along ?

It would be so neat if we could create a project like this. Thanks for your help you all, I'm counting on you !