Boss DC-2 build report

Started by Zero the hero, March 19, 2006, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

FINALLY, I managed to kill the beast and get the DC-2 working!
I misread a 7k5 resistor and I put that in place of a 1k5... well, actually the violet stripe seemed sooooooo brownish...
All the other parts of the circuit ere already working nicely, and I had not spotted more errors in the layout.

The DC-2 is great, I'm looking forward to box it since I believe that I'll hardly turn it off!
The sound is thick and, although sounding like a normal chorus, it really adds a new dimension to the guitar: since there are 2 BBD lines, the tipical detune effect that choruses have when depth is maximum, is not very intrusive and hard to listen. I personally like this designers' choice.
Although being provided with two companders, there's a very very small amount of noise, but I have to consider that the circuit has not been boxed yet,  so this "issue" will be solved as soon as I'll get a nice box that will fit nicely (using a different color from the awful originally-painted pedal...)

I'll update the project page, cause I modded potentiometers rating since LFO didn't change very much by turning the knob (and the same happens with depth knob).
I haven't tried the stereo feature, since I only own one amplifier.

What's coming next?

Gripp

Great news!
Too bad my wallet can't cope with a couple of BBD's rigth now :icon_sad:

lowstar

waaaay cool, zero.   8)
this is very high on my to-do-list, gotta order some of the parts, though. first i´m gonna do your bad stone, etched the board on saturday.

cheers,
lowstar

p.s. what´s next ? how ´bout a 13600 based octaver like the pearl ?
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

Zero the hero

Quote from: lowstar on March 19, 2006, 04:57:52 PM
Once I tried a Korg Octaver and I was not that impressed... it's 13700 based, but tracking was not that good.
The Shin-Ei octaver is a great project, simpler than IC based octaver but very effective. It's so surprising how a transistor based circuit could compete with more complex design involving ICs like 13700 or companders like NE570. If you're looking for an octaver, give the Shin-Ei a shot!

Actually I'm restoring my Amiga and I won a couple of old computers on E-bay for making installations and / or music. I'll need more effects for filtering those hars 8-bits audio devices!

DiyFreaque

This is great news!

What substitutions did you make for the audio and LFO op amps?

What's coming next?

The DC-2 does great things with mega-multi stage phase shifters (hint, hint)  :).  There's a sound that'll put your axe into the stratosphere.

Here's a couple of samples of my DW6000 through my ongoing multiphase project.  Each sample starts out with the dry signal, then through the phase shifter (output taps at 14th and 16th stages), then the same phase shift, only through the Dim C (first sample is in Mode 4, second sample in Mode 3).  Each one is about 1.5 MB.

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/16_20_dimc_m4_aud.mp3

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/16_20_dimc_m3.mp3

Congrats on the build!
Scott

Zero the hero

Thanks!
For the audio section (IC1 and IC12) I used 4558. For the LFO and related circuitry I used plain TL072 and they worked nicely!

hank reynolds 3rd

Quote from: lowstar on March 19, 2006, 04:57:52 PM
waaaay cool, zero.   8)
this is very high on my to-do-list, gotta order some of the parts, though. first i´m gonna do your bad stone, etched the board on saturday.

cheers,
lowstar

Going off the Schem at DiscoFreq's site, the Pearl Octaver doesn't use a13600/13700 ,but gives a kickass 1 up and 1 aswell as 2 down !!! ....
And I'm in the process of doing a PCB layout  ;D  :icon_mrgreen: ....
it uses 2 4013's, but I'm thinking there's scope for a 4017, to give 5th intervals down, plus up to 3 oct's down  :o :o :o

maybe some tone controls on the octs ....* slaps self...'one thing at a damn,you...'  *

hank reynolds 3rd

btw, has anyone bought from hongkongsuperseller on ebay recently ??? he's got cheap BBD's, and I was thinking of getting some, but remember reading a few horror stories on here a way back ..

Cheers
Sam

audioguy

Quote from: hank reynolds 3rd on March 20, 2006, 09:48:50 AM
btw, has anyone bought from hongkongsuperseller on ebay recently ???
Cheers
Sam

Took 6 weeks to get some chicken heads from him!

Zero the hero

Nice shot, Hank, I have never seen that schem!
I've bought some BBDs from Banzai Effects, it's cheaper than other resellers.

Coriolis

Hank Reynolds 3rd, you'd qualify for hero status, for making a pcb from that grungy old schematic!
I'd do it myself if I thought I could trust my eyes, cos I just built a Blue Box, and that's got me wanting more octave! :icon_mrgreen:

C
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

nelson

Quote from: hank reynolds 3rd on March 20, 2006, 09:48:50 AM
btw, has anyone bought from hongkongsuperseller on ebay recently ??? he's got cheap BBD's, and I was thinking of getting some, but remember reading a few horror stories on here a way back ..

Cheers
Sam

I used him recently to get some MN3005, delivery took about 1 1/2 weeks to UK.

If you dont mind waiting, probably the cheapest BBD's you could get.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X