New project: Eh Polyphase

Started by Zero the hero, March 25, 2006, 03:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

Hi folks, I posted a new complete project, the Electro-Harmonix Polyphase.
The layout and PCB have been done by Nelson, so... THANK YOU!
Nelson has built and verified the circuit  (please, tell me ifI forgot something in the article, I'll add any suggestion up!).

nosamiam

Thanks for your contribution!  Where would I find it?

Dave_B

Quote from: nosamiam on March 25, 2006, 05:39:36 PM
Thanks for your contribution!  Where would I find it?
Allow me, Alex.   :)

Click on the oranges, nosamiam.
Help build our Wiki!

jrc4558

I said it before, and I'll say it again. AY KARAMBA!!! (c) Simpsons

Marcos - Munky

Wow, thanks a lot. Hope I can find the parts I'm missing to build this thing.

Zero the hero

Ry

What was used to create the PDF file?  All of the text appears as blocks to me.

Thx

lowstar

if i remember right, this was the layout that gave nelson headaches because of a ticking problem, did you overcome the obstacles ?

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

Dave_B

Quote from: Ry on March 26, 2006, 11:09:17 AM
What was used to create the PDF file?  All of the text appears as blocks to me.
What reader are you using, Ry?  I was able to open it in Acrobat Reader V5 and V7.
Help build our Wiki!

Ry

I'm using the Preview function of OSx, which I thought was up to date.  I will have to look into acrobat.

thx!

Zero the hero

Ry, I had the same problem when using Preview (MacOsX 10.3.9 on Powerbook G3), but I solved opening the doc with Acrobat 5 (works with os9 too!).
I should add a couple of lines on the project page.

Zero the hero

Quote from: lowstar on March 26, 2006, 11:22:05 AM
if i remember right, this was the layout that gave nelson headaches because of a ticking problem, did you overcome the obstacles ?

cheers,
lowstar

We have to ask Nelson, since he built this circuit (at present time, I have no time!!!)

lowstar

effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

nelson

Quote from: lowstar on March 26, 2006, 11:22:05 AM

cheers,
lowstar

It was an old layout that gave me ticking problems. This is the improved version with extensive decoupling, larger ground planes, changing of grounding scheme and putting v+ and ground traces between any adjacant signal and LFO traces.

I am confident this layout shouldnt tick. I havent built this particular layout, it was the old one I released to a few people. The layout will work though, as its just a tweak of the verified layout.

Anyway, Enjoy.

Please submit build reports.

Nelson
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Alex

A regulated power supply isnt needed, it has an onboard 15v regulator.

all it needs is an 18v supply, I recommend an EH 18v power supply, bear in mind they are positive tip.

Other than that, the text is fine.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Suggestions for possible mods:

A depth pot could be added Leading from point C on the board wired as a voltage divider.

"univibing" the phase stages. 470pf, 4700pf and 0.001 caps replacing some of the 0.01uf caps.

Vibrato switch by lifting 27K mixing resistor. Or even a mix of wet/dry with a pot.

Sure there are more.

Any suggestions?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

RaceDriver205

Cool, all you have to do now is work out why the Bad Stone layout doesnt work  :icon_exclaim: :icon_lol:

nelson

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on March 27, 2006, 05:04:34 AM
Cool, all you have to do now is work out why the Bad Stone layout doesnt work  :icon_exclaim: :icon_lol:

I had sweet FA to do with the Bad stone. Also, the layout works AFAIK many people have built it without problems, I know some people have problems with the LFO though.

Build this one instead  :icon_twisted:

Its the best phaser I have ever used.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

RaceDriver205

Yeah, that oscillator hates my guts. (And i meant Zero should fix it)
This envelope control - does it alter the rate or depth of oscillation? How 'strong'/phsychedelic is the phasing?

Zero the hero

I've checked the BadStone layout everytime someone said that the LFO was not working.
And everything seemed ok...

Here's a sample of the Polyphase driven by a Rhodes:
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/cgi-bin/products-display?id=5