The Replace MILAN's Name Contest

Started by Peter Snowberg, March 26, 2006, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snowberg

Thanks to a name conflict with a line of Ethernet switches, MILAN needs a new name. As you might expect, lots of acronyms containing LAN are presently in use. I just looked up FXLAN and it was taken by another Ethernet product. MLAN is used by Yamaha for control data over Firewire and I was a little concerned about a name conflict in bringing MILAN out of storage. The next name I tried a search for was FXNET and it looks like a solid candidate.

This is a real no-frills contest. I'm looking for something to top FXNET.

Rules:
- you may enter as many times as you wish.
- names should probably be short and contain LAN or NET or something saying it's a network for controlling musical instrument signal environments.
- opinions in general are totally welcomed (even if you're not entering a name)
- I am the sole judge.  :icon_wink:

The prize consists of bragging rights and having your name credited in the specification. I'll also throw in a couple of universal core cards when I have them done (PCB with SMD AVR & EIA-485) which can be used to make controllers or controlled devices. 

Thanks in advance. 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

barret77

well, I have a suggestion that has nothing to do with what you're looking for, but anyway...
I think the word LAN is being overused in the computer network world... I would use Pipe instead...
the sound wave is a vibration; so my suggestion is "VibePipe"

Peter Snowberg

Thinking outside the box is always welcomed. 8)

I just Googled FXBus but R.G. coined that one in 2000.  :icon_biggrin: Should'a known.

David

R.G.

MusLAN
PerfNET (performer's network)
PerfLAN
MusicLayer
TeleMuse (/Muze/Maze/Mize)
HyperMaze
MIDEE (Music Interface Device Electronic Extensions)
PlayerNet
PlayGOL (Players Gear Oriented Language) I couldn't figure out a "B" word for gear
GearLAN
GearNet
MORDOR (Music Oriented Realtime Device Oriented Relay) Layer
MAGLAN (Music And Gear Local Area Network)
... well, duh... then there's
MAGNET (Music And Gear Network)
Data And Music NET - yes, DAMNET
MD-NET (Musical Data NET)
FUBAR (Field Usable Bus Amenuesis Relay)
BOHICA (Bits Over Highspeed Integritous Coaxial Alley)
HYPERNET (HighlY Performing Electronic Relay Net) although that one's likely already been done

;D

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DavidS

STOMPnet

I'm still working on an acronym for it, " 'Synchronized Transitions Of Music' Protocol" or something... Hopefully something better...
"Simple Time Oriented Music Protocol"... "Salubrious Turtle Orders More Pabst"...  crap.

or

MUSInet

"Multiple Unit Synchronization Interface" or "Musical Utility Standard Interface" or "Musical Utility Systems Implementation" or "Massively Useful Stompbox Interface" or something...

TELEFUNKON

SnowLAN
MUSiLAN
StompLAN
DiyLAN
DyLAN
WayLAN

bioroids

What about CONNEcT (Controller Network, yes I know there's a extra letter but I've seen this done)

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

David

GUITAR

Gear-User Interface for Transmission And Reception

Peter Snowberg

Very cool! 8)

Keep 'em coming!

Backronyms welcome too!  (so long as they don't contain the sequence "global information carrier"  :icon_wink:)

David

Quote from: DavidS on March 27, 2006, 05:04:08 AM
STOMPnet

I'm still working on an acronym for it, " 'Synchronized Transitions Of Music' Protocol" or something... Hopefully something better...
"Simple Time Oriented Music Protocol"... "Salubrious Turtle Orders More Pabst"...  crap.

STOmpbox MicroProgrammed NETwork

DavidS

Quote from: David on March 28, 2006, 06:12:20 AM
Quote from: DavidS on March 27, 2006, 05:04:08 AM
STOMPnet

STOmpbox MicroProgrammed NETwork

Great, we'll share the prize!

David

Nah, you can have the prize...  and all you have to do is build my unit for me!   :icon_mrgreen:

David

Can't have MILAN, eh?
OK, then how about Real-time Operation of Musical Equipment (ROME)?

Or Stompbox Integration and Control Intelligently Laid out for You (SICILY) ?

Or, from the Old Sod:  Device Update and Bridging via Linked Intelligent Network (DUBLIN)?

Peter Snowberg

Thanks for all the entries! 8)

I'll make a decision in the next few days.

Opinions are always welcome!  :icon_biggrin:

syndromet

My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

idlefaction

Darren
NZ

varialbender

varialbender

CLARINET - ConnectedLocalAReaInstrumentNETwork