Author Topic: absolutely lost about values and types of capacitors!  (Read 4197 times)

mvg2

absolutely lost about values and types of capacitors!
« on: April 01, 2006, 02:42:32 PM »
So im extremely excited to get involved in building the boost and the ruby but i'm absolutely lost about the values and types.
i go to small bear to check out the components but there are pf and mf and dont know how to convert them to the stated .1uF, 10uF, 22uF, and 47uF.  I'm also unsure of which type of capacitor is required. 
  I checked out mouser but, needless to say, the choices there blew my mind!
 Any help would be greatly appreciated, im really jonesn' to get started!
     (side note: my local rat shack does not carry any capacitors and resistors)

Floyd Pepper

Re: absolutely lost about values and types of capacitors!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 03:21:14 PM »
What are you trying to build?  I might make it easier to answer your question.

pyrop

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 03:34:27 PM »
Hey mvg2
mF is the same as uF. The u stands for "micro" as does the m in the case. F stands for farad.
So the 0.1mF is the same as 0.1uF and so on.
pyrop ;D

mvg2

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »
hey thanks for the prompt replies.
   I'm currently filling up my cart at small bear (damn is that site slow!) to complete the beginner project boost and the ruby. 
 pyrop,
   thanks for the info.  I have no real electronics experience.  all i ever did was throw some led's in my xbox controlers, so these ventures should prove challenging and fun! oh ya, and probably effect my studies here at college ;D!
   i have a feeling this wont be the last post i make here! 

Floyd Pepper

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:02:08 AM »
This cap conversion chart might help http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

There's an online capacitor conversion calculator (to go from uf to pf, etc) out there but I can't find the link to it right now.

mvg2

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 07:21:00 AM »
^ ^ ^ 
Added to my list of resources! thanks.  Now im just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting on my order from small bear to arrive! i got the parts (plus extras) to build the boost and the Ruby.
  Quick question,
 I got a gilmore Jr. head on its way and dont have a cab so i was going to disconnect the speaker wires from my solid state.  then i'd grab a jack and simply have its leads go to the speaker.  that would right? 
  Is there an easier way (dont say get a cab :icon_lol:) to do this so i dont have to disconnect the original wiring to use the jack?
  thanks to any who reply.
-mike

Floyd Pepper

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »
You'll be OK wiring your old combo speaker into your new amp but check the speaker impedance matches your amp and keep an eye on the speaker polarity too.

If you're looking for a simple way to get into building pedals take a look at www.buildyourownclone.com  They supply all the parts you need, even a drilled case.