My TS808 clipping section

Started by dano12, May 11, 2006, 09:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

Been working on this all evening, had to take a break and share.

rockgardenlove

markm

petesguitar1

That's fantastic dude..Looks awesome
Excuse Me While I Kiss The Sky

twabelljr

Are the diodes individually switched, or in like pairs? Can you mix an LED with a silicon and a GE for instance? That is very nice work no matter how they switch! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Shine On !!!

dano12

Quote from: twabelljr on May 11, 2006, 10:14:53 PM
Are the diodes individually switched, or in like pairs? Can you mix an LED with a silicon and a GE for instance? That is very nice work no matter how they switch! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Each of the diodes is on its own buss with each of the diode choices swithcable in or out of circuit:

WGTP

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

dv8

Mark Hammer

Have you considered talking with your family doctor about this?  Or maybe consulting clergy?

dano12

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 12, 2006, 10:48:18 AM
Have you considered talking with your family doctor about this?  Or maybe consulting clergy?

Thanks for your concern, but I think I'm too far gone at this point. The good news is that building pedals is not that expensive a hobby. My previous hobby of acquiring guitars and amps has stopped. That fact alone has saved countless thousands of dollars, and probaby, my marriage :)

On the other hand, if I get in to deep, what are your hourly rates for therapy?

dv8

50s Tele or Les Paul Jr should cover first round of therapy sessions.
-brian

smank

You're crazy!!!  :icon_eek:
And probably we're crazier than you...
This is a not a hobby... this is a drug!  ;)
I can't stopping realize new effects, neverthless some of them sound very similar... but there is this nuance, this mod, this little difference...

Very good job!!!

stm

Congrats for your diode test setup.  One comment: you are using DPDT switches, which involve 6 connection points per diode.  You can achieve the same using SPST switches as well, having only 2 connection points per diode.

With such arrangement you just bridge or short each diode you want to "take out" of the circuit. This opens the road for using DIP switches which are very compact, economic, and easily mounted on a PCB, thus avoiding cabling. For instance, with an 8-switch DIP switch you can have 2x1N914, 2x1N4001, 2x1N34, 1 red LED and 1 green LED, covering almost any common and not so common configuration.

Cheers.

Austin73

stm, can't picture what you mean by shorting out. CAn you elaborate a tiny bit please

Cheers

Aus

Sorry to tired to think today (joys of night shifts!)
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

jonathan perez

why was i expecting this to be yet another n00b TS issue?

THIS IS FANTASTIC! probably the coolest thing ive seen in 2 weeks. PATENT IT! hahaha  :icon_lol:
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

dano12

Quote from: stm on May 12, 2006, 12:36:03 PM
Congrats for your diode test setup.  One comment: you are using DPDT switches, which involve 6 connection points per diode.  You can achieve the same using SPST switches as well, having only 2 connection points per diode.

With such arrangement you just bridge or short each diode you want to "take out" of the circuit. This opens the road for using DIP switches which are very compact, economic, and easily mounted on a PCB, thus avoiding cabling. For instance, with an 8-switch DIP switch you can have 2x1N914, 2x1N4001, 2x1N34, 1 red LED and 1 green LED, covering almost any common and not so common configuration.

Cheers.

DOH! Of course. I like the simpler switch arrangment. On the other hand, I'm not a "hide the switches inside the box" kind of guy. I really like the idea of big switches right on the front panel so I can sit on the floor for hours and try different things out without popping the case.

Regardless, thanks for the great idea.

dano12

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on May 12, 2006, 12:44:45 PM
why was i expecting this to be yet another n00b TS issue?

THIS IS FANTASTIC! probably the coolest thing ive seen in 2 weeks. PATENT IT! hahaha  :icon_lol:

2 weeks? Man, tough crowd :)

Patents? Don't think I need to go there--I've covered it by placing this text on all the schematics and drawings on my site:

"Sloppyright (s) 2006: Rights to re-post, steal, fold, spindle and mutilate this work is hereby granted by dano to all, in perpetuity."

Austin73

Was just thinking this could be a cool expression type add on . Imagine having all those diodes in one box and every pedal you make put a switchable jack on the clipping diode. Then when you get bored just plug in and hey presto different sounds! saves opening up and sockecting.

I like the idea anyway so when I can afford 30 dpdt switches I'll let yiou know! lol

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync