Aussie Compressor VERO LAYOUT *****testers/tweakers needed!***

Started by Toney, April 06, 2006, 01:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Neyrey

"Lo-fi and fuzzy" is exactly what I got after breadboarding, Brian. I'm going to try a few different 386's as stated above, and a bit more tweaking of component values and see if there are any different results. Back to the drawing board!

George

Johan

Quote from: G.Neyrey on April 21, 2006, 09:22:00 AM
   "Lo-fi and fuzzy" is exactly what I got after breadboarding, Brian. I'm going to try a few different 386's as stated above, and a bit more tweaking of component values and see if there are any different results. Back to the drawing board!

George

I said this in the original thread...if it is going to work by altering the volume/dynamics going in to the opamp, the way most compressors work. it needs a series resistor between input and the fet/mosfet. As is, it works by loading down the previous stage ( guitar or fx's or whatever) wich will give VERY warying results depending on what you feed it with...I would just install a 20-80k resistor

johan
DON'T PANIC

Toney

Which makes sense...given the varying reports.

I haven't got around to building this myself yet.
I will tomorrow , if there's time and I'll try a few of these ideas...

Toney

I"d really like to keep the ball in the air with this one... lets keep it going.
All suggestions welcome, lets finish it.

I'm not going to get a chance to build today, but I've added to the layout.
When we get the right pot resistance paralleling C3, the 4.7u, there will probably be a cut off point where the pot does nothing so easiest thing is to add a resistor as a min point.

It's R3 on this new layout...I've left the values out for now.

If someone wants to do the test tweaking, just connect up a 50 lin pot where R3 was on the top of the page layout.
Find the sweet range of travel, high and the low cut off, and then I will add the values to the layout.

Next task is to add a series resister as Johan suggested. A pot would be the quickest way to find the value for this 100kb should do it.
It needs to go between the cap and the drain of the trannie, so you'll need to move C1 for now to achieve this. When we find the most suitable value, I'll rejig the layout.

C'mon...who wants to give it a shot??

rockgardenlove

Toney

My posts have been poned or whatever that stupid expression is...

Anyway, here's a re-do of the layout for tweaking.  I've added a trim pot for ear-tweaking the threshold most suitable for the cap to mosfet resistance.

Try a 50k trim- use a pot if that's easier.

My layout's been chop-suey cut up so much .... might re-do the whole thing once we have final values

G.Neyrey

"As is, it works by loading down the previous stage ( guitar or fx's or whatever) wich will give VERY warying results depending on what you feed it with...I would just install a 20-80k resistor

johan"

Thanks, Johan. I suppose I missed that the first time around! I'll give it a shot the next time I'm on the bench.

George

rockgardenlove

Quote from: Toney on April 24, 2006, 04:32:03 PM

Its "pwned."

Yes, one of the few words without a vowel.  Weird eh?
Parts in mail...

comfortably_numb

So what exactly are your additions of C5, C6, and D2 accomplishing?  I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where you explained why they were added.  I ordered the parts to build this and am waiting on them, but I haven't ordered those additions, because I ordered based on a different thread.

Thanks,
CJD

comfortably_numb

Almost forgot - Where do the additions sit on the schematic?  I am doing my own layout on perfboard for the experience and don't want to just copy a vero layout.

Toney

Look where they are. Look where 9v and ground are...

They are power filtering and reverse polarity protection.

comfortably_numb

So they connect in parallel from 9V to Ground?  Sorry.  I was just having trouble tracing that Vero.  The other side of it actually, so I didn't bother looking at the right side.  I'll work that out too, as it would be valuable.

Thanks

rockgardenlove

rockgardenlove

Quote from: Toney on April 24, 2006, 04:32:03 PM

Anyway, here's a re-do of the layout for tweaking.  I've added a trim pot for ear-tweaking the threshold most suitable for the cap to mosfet resistance.

Try a 50k trim- use a pot if that's easier.

My layout's been chop-suey cut up so much .... might re-do the whole thing once we have final values

What's that resistor to the right of the trimpot?

Toney

Hi Rockgardenlove,

Sorry about that hasty redraw, I've been meaning to clean it up.

That's R1 - 1M

rockgardenlove

Ok, cool.  Thats what I thought, just wanted to check.  I assume the green cap to the right of the 1m resistor is .1 uF...is that right?

Toney