Beavis FuzzLab. 2 months later its finally done!

Started by dano12, April 08, 2006, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

I've finally finished the Beavis FuzzLab. It is my first true DIY pedal project and is basically a boost->fuzz face clone->tonebender clone->big muff pi clone->green ringer all in one box with lots of mods, switches and meters. More details at http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FuzzLab/. Thanks to all on the forum who answered my annoying noob questions and offered great advice and encouragement. I'm going to build a few simpler single-pedal projects now, just as a vacation :)

tiges_ tendres

Try a little tenderness.

Peter Snowberg

Wow again too!  :icon_eek:

Great job Dano! 8) 8) 8)

I can't wait to hear some of the sounds you're able to get out of that. Four starved distortions in a row? That gonna make some nice bias nightmare noises! :icon_mrgreen:

The first thing that comes to mind is inna godda davida.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Noplasticrobots

Um, didn't I suggest that you put a Jacob's Ladder on top of that thing? Where is it?! That would give it the ultimate Frankenstein effect!  ;D Just kidding. This thing looks awesome...and it's your first build? Unbelievable. I couldn't even get the Electra Distortion to work (my first build).
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

dano12

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on April 08, 2006, 01:33:50 PM
Wow again too!  :icon_eek:

Great job Dano! 8) 8) 8)

I can't wait to hear some of the sounds you're able to get out of that. Four starved distortions in a row? That gonna make some nice bias nightmare noises! :icon_mrgreen:

The first thing that comes to mind is inna godda davida.

Thanks chief. I'm going to try and get some clips up on the site in the next few days. You're right--starving those circuits makes for some nasty sounds :)

dano12

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on April 08, 2006, 01:56:44 PM
Um, didn't I suggest that you put a Jacob's Ladder on top of that thing? Where is it?! That would give it the ultimate Frankenstein effect!  ;D Just kidding. This thing looks awesome...and it's your first build? Unbelievable. I couldn't even get the Electra Distortion to work (my first build).

I've done non-pedal DIY electronics before, so it sounds more impressive than it is :) I spent something like 40 hours total just trying to get the Fuzz Face transistor switching and bias working so don't feel bad. I screwed up a lot of things and had to re-do and rethink lots during the process. Regardless, thanks much for the compliments!

RJ

That's one of the coolest looking guitar effects I've ever seen, I love it!  Great build report too!

-Ryan

MartyB

CS Jones

Love it. Great choice of circuits. Great graphics work. Looks solid as a rock.
So the circuit boards sit vertically like the Anderton vector pak thing?
The PS is +9v only?
You can rearrange the effect order?
Willing to give up any gut shots?
Excellent job.

Ge_Whiz

So, how do you operate the stomp switch on the top panel?

tcobretti

dano12

Quote from: CS Jones on April 08, 2006, 05:30:49 PM
Love it. Great choice of circuits. Great graphics work. Looks solid as a rock.
So the circuit boards sit vertically like the Anderton vector pak thing?
The PS is +9v only?
You can rearrange the effect order?
Willing to give up any gut shots?
Excellent job.

Circuit boards are mounted parallel to the bottom--screwed into small dowels that have been epoxied to the chassis. That gave me enough clearance for all the wiring and switching. 9v wall wart only.

You can rearange the order with the in/out jacks on the back.

Here is the (*feels a little embarrassed*) gutshot:

dano12

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on April 08, 2006, 05:50:53 PM
So, how do you operate the stomp switch on the top panel?

It was actually not intended to be a stompswitch. It is for the Green Ringer circuit, which should be left on *all* the time as far as I'm concerned.

I ran out of toggle swithces (gee, I wonder why) so I used a stomp switch .

jmusser

That thing is just as spectacular inside as is is outside! I used to build test fixtures and prototypes for a living in the telecommunications industry, and I never done a piece of work that looked any better than what you've put together right there. Beautiful work and very nice wire dressing. You should be proud!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

MartyMart

FABULOUS !!   
I'm blown away  :D
That's a very "Pro" wire up, Pete Cornich would be proud !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy