t.i.p. the 3rd hand

Started by Loggie, April 26, 2006, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cd

Quote from: Loggie on April 26, 2006, 12:47:35 PM
look at!
http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tip.php

it's clonable?

You don't want to.  By all accounts, the mechanism is horrible and doesn't work (a) properly and (b) like you think it does.

Mark Hammer

The thing to remember about both the 3rd hand and the Hot Foot is that they are mechanical devices not electronic ones.  Any intent to clone involves setting it up so that it is mechanical effective.  That may be tricky for a lot of people.

petemoore

Start with a throttle or 'roto rooter' sheathed type cable of choice and deal with...all the mechanical devices choices necessary [I can think of numerous ways to approach this task]...and all the machining [I'd go with pressed parts in the high numbers...say 100,000 pieces for reducing manufacturing costs]...after exhausting any existing cheaply available alternatives...
  Or just buy what is there...
  My friend Bob has a couple of this type of affair [not same brand], produced in the 60's or 70's I believe, and he reported that when set up properly they worked fine...but he never got them out and used them when I was there.
  There is an easier but not treaded on path to turning a pot simply, involving a 'barber pole' screw which converts up/down motion of the 'drive nut' into turning motion of the driven screw [which attaches to a potshaft]...again...probably a great idea or frought with hurdles [I can't see why it wouldn't work] that requires rethinking the 'wheel', entailing redesign/retooling...which would mean 'mass interest' in the form of enough capitol to do all that and have your 1 part, perfectly suited to its purpose, manufactured.
  Personally I just hack together a treadle system and make it do what I want it to.
  I've been known to utilize a simple ziptie around the knob, placed perfectly so the right and lower sides of the box provide 'stops' [precise enough reposistionning of the potshaft for 'high' and 'low' settings] using my foot to 'slide' the knob using the trimmed to perfect length ziptie...this works fine on my Fuzz Face for lead boost..even slight adjustments are precise enough because the potshaft slows the adjustment rate...
  I type again that this is an area which has maybe enough mass interest for 'someone' or 'something' to explore alternatives to footcontrolling guitar effect [and other] parameters.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jxoco

Quote from: Loggie on April 26, 2006, 12:47:35 PM
look at!
http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tip.php

it's clonable?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .....  I love it..  Gromit !  Come over here we have a project........

nelson

It would be far simpler to just modify the pedal to accept an expression pedal. As opposed to bodging together something similar to the hotfoot or 3rd hand.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X