Author Topic: Wiring help with the NPN boost, pics.  (Read 6894 times)

dyrodium

Wiring help with the NPN boost, pics.
« on: April 12, 2006, 07:34:06 AM »
Hey!
Thought this would be fun to give a go, but am stumped regarding how to get it to work  :icon_cry:
So far, no sound gets from the pickup to the amp, either with the effect switched on or off, however when you change from on to off the amp makes a little pop, which is confusing as it indicates that there is something going on! I'm not new to soldering, and even made the boost twice to make sure it wasn't faulty parts, same problem. I built it on vero board using the dragonfly layout, and I'm only using a simple DPDT switch as i'm not really prepared to lash out the cash for the proper thing till I can get it to work!   ;D Some help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm assuming that the TPDT is simply for allowing an LED? I did notice on the forum a millenium bypass being mentioned... would i need it?

Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 07:36:49 AM by dyrodium »

ChamberMonk

Re: Wiring help with the NPN boost, pics.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 02:45:17 PM »
I cant answer your question just finished mine this morning but I must say that that is some neat wiring! And youve managed to make it so small. wow! :o :D

aron

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:24:21 PM »
I built it on vero board using the dragonfly layout, and I'm only using a simple DPDT switch as i'm not really prepared to lash out the cash for the proper thing till I can get it to work!

Well, lets think about this. I have no idea about the layout, so try to verify that against the schematic. Secondly I have no idea how you wired the DPDT.

If I had to guess, the pop you hear is DC somehow going to your AMP.  I think you have a wiring problem where the battery voltage is going to the amp. Also since you don't hear any guitar, it's possible there's a miswiring on the swith as well.

There is a beautiful thread written by R.G. for things like this:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

I would try omitting the switch and debugging the circuit alone.

Aron

dyrodium

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
Thanks, i'll give it a go. I used the smallest parts possible to keep it compact.  ;)

dyrodium

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 04:33:47 AM »
It works!  :D
I got rid of the switch and found a stupid misplaced wire on the mono out, but the sound isn't that different to the standard sound out, and somewhat softer, could this be due to the battery running low? It was just some random battery so that may be the case  :icon_lol:
Otherwise w00t! ;D

aron

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
It should be louder and at first clean and sort of hi-fi then get progressively more louder and disorted as you turn the boost up.

dyrodium

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 01:21:59 AM »
Hmm ok, i will see, but i'll get started on my proper project any way, squarewave fuzz!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
Good thing about electronics is these projects can happily sit aside till you return to them without ever complaining... my dog didn't agree with that concept it seems  :icon_lol: jokes!

dyrodium

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 06:29:42 PM »
Thought I would salvage my old thread instead of starting a new one, i'm having tonnes of problems with my projects on this site, and to be honest, none have ever worked properly  :icon_redface: I've so far done the NPN boost, and the sound was quieter than on bypass, my Bass Fuzz picked up radio and wouldn't go away even in a metal box, and i never got martymart's fat fuzz to work at all!  :icon_frown:
LOL I refuse to give up! But i'm having a huge problem with wires breaking off, even just from moving the circuit upstairs to test it! Does anyone know how to help stop this? I'm about to attempt the "mess" overdrive, as it has minimal parts. I hope this one works!  :icon_lol:

I'm sure a detailed trouble shoot can fix each one, but i'm not the most experienced at electronics, so i build them and if they dont work, unless it's a physical fault, i'm stuffed!

Regards
Angus

zjokka

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »
hi dyrodium,

Didn't you post

It works!  :D
I got rid of the switch and found a stupid misplaced wire on the mono out, but the sound isn't that different to the standard sound out, and somewhat softer, could this be due to the battery running low? It was just some random battery so that may be the case  :icon_lol:
Otherwise w00t! ;D

At first, I couldn't get the NPN boost to work either: subnormal sound level. But sound nonetheless, even overdrivin' at the end of the taper, but the level was 1/10th or so of straightjacking the guitar. Thought I did something wrong: wrong cap value etc. Read half the board and then discovered that very low sound level = no power !. Of course I had miswired the stereo input jack! Also had the pot backwards. I really don't understand why all the schematics use 'lug 3' when referring to pots, you've have to know they're looking at the back, and what's more, some pots (like mine) or the other way around.

Like Aron said: debug the board by itself. And that's real helpful. Often it's in the wiring to the jacks (like you posted). It is with me. Built a (MultiFuzz), but before that I built this:

see my 'Prototyping Rack' thread, others did it better even before

put the jacks and various sizes and types of pots on a front from a Pioneer tuner-amp. I always miswire stereo jacks and pots. In this way, I can go the trial and error way. When I finished the fuzz, hooked up the clips -- nothing. Of course miswired the pots.

Couldn't you link to the vero layout? Should say I'm no expert on that though.
Anyways, don't give up.

ZJ

dyrodium

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 07:46:43 AM »
Aaaannnnd I'm back!  ;D
Been practicing up my soldering skills over the past few months or so with store bought kits... i'm at the stage where they now work first time off, i'm ready!  :D
I've started the "harmonic jerkulator" and should have that up and running in a few days, however one of the components in the diagram is a bit confusing. It's a cap no doubt, but it's got one large oval and a small oval. Anyone know what this represents?  :)