diy Leslie (pics)

Started by Dave_B, April 12, 2006, 07:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_B

The samples don't sound that great, but maybe it could be improved?

http://www.makezine.com/05/  Scroll down to the bottom third of the page.
Help build our Wiki!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: bellyflop on April 12, 2006, 07:59:10 PM
The samples don't sound that great, but maybe it could be improved?

http://www.makezine.com/05/  Scroll down to the bottom third of the page.

I have to find this magazine!!! They always have tons of cool projects.

I think it sounds pretty nice.  I've never heard a real leslie though.

Try a little tenderness.

Unbeliever

Wow ... I'm underwhelmed. DIY is all well and good but you want some kind of outcome, right?

Dave_B

I agree.  Unfortunately, the magazine is really expensive on the news stand, $14.99US I think.  Like most magazines, subscriptions are much cheaper.  It's still $34.95 for four issues, though.

Plenty of cool stuff inside.  The current issue outlines how to get free satellite TV programming with minimal gear, how to build an I/R interface for controlling lamps with your TV remote, etc.  Nice quality publishing too.
Help build our Wiki!

Unbeliever

Yes, it does look like a good 'hacker'-style magazine - any DIY leslie project is going to be working hard to impress.

Dave_B

I'm guessing the problem is that the speaker cabinet isn't isolated enough and that there's too much distance between the speaker and the PVC.  Also, shouldn't the PVC be closed on one side?  I can't tell if he did that or not.

As you may be able to tell, he's using one of those little Brian May Vox amps, btw.
Help build our Wiki!

Dave_B

Oh yeah, I consistantly see the magazine at Borders and Barnes and Noble.  It usually gets put in with the computer mags.
Help build our Wiki!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: bellyflop on April 12, 2006, 08:30:04 PM
Oh yeah, I consistantly see the magazine at Borders and Barnes and Noble.  It usually gets put in with the computer mags.

I saw it once, and put it back cos it was about $9

however, I'm getting pretty jazzed for the make faire next week

http://www.makefaire.com  some awesome stuff there
Try a little tenderness.

nordine

there are a lot of things going wrong on that project, no surprise the sound samples are "just that"

on a real leslie the physical variables involved on creating vibrato/chorus/tremolo are so sensible you're going to mimic a leslie's artifacts, measurements, and dispositives to have it working close to right

Mark Hammer

Miles away from true leslie tone, but on the other hand it provides an *interesting* sound which would be suitable seasoning for a recording.

RedHouse

Rev-1 looks like it would work...untill the speaker wire got too twisted up.

Dave_B

This got me thinking about using a ceiling fan motor.  Some of them are in the 300rpm range. 

I've never seen the inside of a Leslie.  Does the other motor typically remain engaged when you switch speeds?
Help build our Wiki!

NoFi

Old organ "leslies" assemblies with just the 2 speed motor and styrofoam drum are cheap enough on ebay!
I'm currently building a cab for mine.  :)

As for the motor switching, it's a very simple and intelligent system.
The high speed motor is always "on line", but when the slow speed is switched, the high speed motor is not getting AC anymore, so it's shaft will turn freely. The low speed motor gets the AC and when spinning, makes contact with the shaft of the high speed motor and mechanically takes control of it and spins it low speed.
Sorry i have trouble explaining it better in english.  :-\

Leslies/Vibratones are great to add dimension to the sound, just listen to Lift To Experience :
http://thebin.free.fr/son/LTE/

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

jrem

that makezine website is nuts, I clicked around and around and got nowhere.

leslie's rock, I remember seeing JGiels in Milwaukee in '80 or so, and Seth Justman had a stack of them, the place was a small theater, maybe 1500 seats, when he hit the pedal I was floored.

gez

Quote from: jrem on April 14, 2006, 09:01:08 AM
that makezine website is nuts, I clicked around and around and got nowhere.

The one I linked to?  Just keep scrolling down, don't click on the links....
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter