Australia based Qs - powdercoating/drill presses ***FOUND*** $59

Started by Toney, April 20, 2006, 06:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toney

I am onto enclosures at the moment. Damn, but those costs add up quickly.

Anyone, especially anyone in Melbourne, onto a price-effective powder coating place?

Also drill presses......Bunnings have some around the $99 mark. Anyone found other good value ones?

From Jaycar..... these are the Taiwan BB style

SEALED DIECAST ALUMINUM ENCLOSURE - 115 X 65 X 30MM
- Ideal for housing sensitive electronic assemblies, pnumatic, hydraulic and electronic devices incommercial and industrial environments providing...more...

QTY    
1+    $13.50
4+    $11.95
10+    $10.70
     Enter Quantity

Anyone know of bulk or wholesale sources for these. I am over spending $10 per build on the box!
Toney.

Unbeliever

Altronics has a special on:
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=H0453
$7.50 each

but what's wrong with the Jaycar 'cheapie' version  HB5062, 111 x 60 x 30mm - AUS$8.65 for 1, AUS$7.75 for 4+, $6.75 for 10+? Too narrow? The H0453 is a little narrower than the box you mention also.

Any drill press is worth the price, I can't see you paying less than $100 except when there's a sale on.

Can't help with the powder-coating though. :)

Toney

Nice call on the Altronics special.
I pretty much prefer them 35mm deep max. Lest they be too chunky and /or spaz-looking

If I could find a wholesale or bulk source, I'd try to get a group buy going.
These are made in Asia... I'm sure they're available for only a few bucks each if you know where to go and can buy in bulk.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Toney on April 20, 2006, 06:54:40 PM
If I could find a wholesale or bulk source, I'd try to get a group buy going.
These are made in Asia... I'm sure they're available for only a few bucks each if you know where to go and can buy in bulk.

For sure - but 'bulk' could mean 1000 units or US$5k order. I don't think sucking up AUS$7.50 an enclosure is too bad at all.

Unless you're going commercial, of course..... ? :) :D

rbdl

I just bought a few enclosures from jaycar and found that the screws don't go in without a bit of effort. I'm worried I'll strip them and never get the battery out again. I bought the deeper ones, I think they are 56mm deep.

Unbeliever

Quote from: rbdl on April 20, 2006, 08:35:04 PM
I just bought a few enclosures from jaycar and found that the screws don't go in without a bit of effort. I'm worried I'll strip them and never get the battery out again. I bought the deeper ones, I think they are 56mm deep.

Thanks for the reminder - YES! The Jaycar enclosures often seemed to have this problem, the screws appeared to be self-tapping. IMHO, it's worth forking out an extra few bucks for Hammond enclosures which look great, are easy to work with and - yes - 'screw' easily. :) I haven't used Jaycar stuff for a couple of years - I think the Altronics 'cheapies' are ok though.

Toney

Jaycar runs two levels with these.

The economy boxes have self tapping screws.

The other style have threaded screws and a neoprene gasket - which is a mighty fine idea

brett

Hi Toney
QuoteI just bought a few enclosures from jaycar and found that the screws don't go in without a bit of effort. I'm worried I'll strip them and never get the battery out again. I bought the deeper ones, I think they are 56mm deep.
Occasionally on the quality ones one of the screws won't go all the way in.  I've had to cut a few mm off the end of a screw a few times.
Those 56mm deep ones are cool.  I use them 99% of the time.  Most pcbs fit in the vertical slots, leaving plenty of room in the lower part for the switch, etc, and pots/inout sockets etc in the top part.  Everyone has them - DSE, Jaycar, Altronics.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Toney

Went all over trying to save money....and would you believe KMART has them for $59..doh.

Seems pretty darn sturdy too, perfect for stompboxes!

SolderBoy

Hmmm... I'd be a little warey of a $60 drill press.  I'd also recomend a decent drill press vise.  And of course, you'll need a good solid place to mount it.  Plus eye goggles.  My dad was a GP in a semi-industrial area for many years, and he had to get bits of metal out of peoples eyes all the time!  Try 2nd hand.  I bought my little one from the trading post many years ago for next to nothing, and it has a good stand etc.  Its Australian made, I think, and has run trouble free for maybe ten years - and I use it for a lot of stuff.  If you plan to use it to drill PCBs, make sure you get one with a chuck that takes those tiny drills.

From memory, RS Australia sell a good range of hammond boxes for roughly the same as jaycar sells the copies.  And they are slightly nicer boxes. 

SB

Toney

Er, thanks Solder boy,
I have already bought the one I mentioned. This is more to share the news, in case any one else needs one.
Have no quality concerns so far. It seems pretty decent, Arlec brand, 2 year guarantee.... really quite OK.
I'm sure made it's made in China....what isn't?!

Good points, re vice and eye protection.
I think they're both vital.

Really seems spot on for stompbox use

Unbeliever

Quote from: SolderBoy on April 22, 2006, 04:45:28 AM
From memory, RS Australia sell a good range of hammond boxes for roughly the same as jaycar sells the copies.  And they are slightly nicer boxes. 

No, RS is *very* expensive. Altronics can supply Hammond boxes (at least, my local Altronics store because now some Hammond boxes are made in Adelaide, yee-haa!) at much more reasonable prices.

Nice find on the drill press Toney. It *might* be time to get rid of my currently working, but very rusted, version.

pyrop

Quote from: Toney on April 22, 2006, 05:02:56 AM
Er, thanks Solder boy,
I have already bought the one I mentioned. This is more to share the news, in case any one else needs one.
Have no quality concerns so far. It seems pretty decent, Arlec brand, 2 year guarantee.... really quite OK.
I'm sure made it's made in China....what isn't?!

Good points, re vice and eye protection.
I think they're both vital.

Really seems spot on for stompbox use

Good score Toney... looks the same as my Ryobi drill press that I bought about 7-8 years ago & has never missed a beat in that time (except when mud wasps build there nests in the motor fan lol.)
Would be pretty much the same as the $99 one's at Bunnings! so if you need a drill press save $40 & get one of these!
While we're on the subject of bargains, I grabbed a rechargable dremel type tool for under $12 at Bunnings. Came with heaps of bits and 4 collet sizes including 1mm that you can use a 0.8-1mm drill bit for drilling pcb's.

pyrop ;D

Toney

Excellent, Pyrop, I'll be sure to check that out next time I'm there.