9V Electric Mistress project file done (Bernardduur??)

Started by markusw, April 24, 2006, 12:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc4558

Ahem, sorry for the stupid question, but where is the rest of the images? Is there an overlay for the components side? I was thinking to check the layout, but can't w/o the other side of the coin, so to say. :)

jrc4558

Oops, missed that one. I htink I got distracted by the beauty of a picture of a finished board. :) Sorry.

bluesdevil

I'm gearing up to take on this great flanger project, but had a question regarding the 10 volt zener diode(1N961B): Can I get away with using a 9.1 volt zener instead? Was going to order the parts from Smallbear and that was the closest he had.
       Thanks for offering up a comprehensive layout, markusw.... the efforts and generosity on this forum are mindblowing!!!!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Aharon

I just love PCBs with ground planes,(don't ask why :icon_redface:)....great  job.....thanks
Aharon
Aharon

sta63bmx

Thank you so much for working so hard on that and posting all of it.  I am really humbled by how cool people are around here and how casually people undertake something daunting like turning a schematic into a PCB layout so doofs like me can actually build these projects.

And your timing couldn't be better, because my cousin's birthday is coming up!  I can only afford to *buy* him Behringer pedals, but I can afford to *build* him an Electric Mistress! 

SAD1024 = $15
Pots = $4
Widgets = $5
Other Widgets = $5
Seeing Your Cousin's Face When He Opens Up An Electric Mistress Clone = priceless

There are some things you can't buy.  For everything else there is the generosity of others who make project files.

I have a killer enclosure, too.

markusw

Quote from: bluesdevil on June 10, 2006, 04:39:57 PM
I'm gearing up to take on this great flanger project, but had a question regarding the 10 volt zener diode(1N961B): Can I get away with using a 9.1 volt zener instead? Was going to order the parts from Smallbear and that was the closest he had.

I'm using a 15V Zener. So running the circuit at 12V isn't a problem. Since all the caps are rated for voltages of at least 25V (in my clone) it should be fine to run it at even 15V which is still 2V below the maximum rating for the SAD1024 (17V).

Markus

bluesdevil

Thanks for the info Markus, I have a 12 volt zener on hand and will just use it. Should have something swooshing in a couple of weeks hopefully.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

markusw

Here's a slightyl updated project file:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/9V_Mistress_project_file_v11_update.pdf

The jumper at the clock trim was wrong in the schem, also I realised that the trim pots were not labelled in the wiring schem. The layout didn't change.

Markus

markusw

Wounded Paw

Completely stumped.  I built this with the most current project file and it's non-functional.  I've checked voltages and everywhere that was expecting V+ is getting 9.15V, V+2 is getting 8.68 and Vref is 4.78. 
There is a guitar signal at pin 2 of the SAD1024 but nothing coming out of it.  i jumpered the send and return and get the unaffected signal at the output but nothing else.
Also there doesn't appear to be any clock signal but I can't see why.  I've checked for solder bridges and broken traces, misplaced components and everything else I can think of and don't know what to do next.

Wounded Paw

Update:
I can see a pulse at pin 2 of the 311 and I can vary it's rate and magnitude with the rate and range knobs.  But there is still nothing at pin 7.  What should be output there?

There is 68mV voltage at pin 7 even though there is 9v at the other end of that 10K resistor right there. 

Wounded Paw

I just started fresh with a completely new PCB and it's exactly the same problem.  I even switch all the ICs to no effect.

I'm using a 1N4148 for D3.
I get a pulse input at pin 2 of the LM311 but nothing at pin 7.  There's just a voltage of 0.09v but no pulse.  Is this right?

Also I have the clean signal inputing the SAD1024 at pin 2 just fine and there is a faint output signal at pins 6 and 12 but no effect.

Here's my voltages:

LM311
1 - 0v
2 - 2.53v
3 - ranges from 0.42 to 0.57 v depending on clock trim
4 - 0
5 - 9.24v
6 - 9.24v
7 - 0.09v
8 - 9.24v

CD4013
1 - 9.24
2 - 0
3 - 0.09
4 to 11 - 0
12 - 9.24
13 - 0
14 - 9.24

SAD1024
1 - 0
2 - 2.27
3 - 0
4 - 0
5 - 8.75
6 - 1.3
7 - 8.75
8 - 9.24
9 - 8.75
10 - 9.24
11 - 8.75
12 - 1.27
13 - 0
14 - 0
15 - 2.27
16 - 0

markusw

At a first glance the voltages seem reasonable for me.
Does the LFO work?
You should see DC voltage changing on pin 8 of the LM324. Maybe check if the flanger/matrix switch is in flanger mode.

markusw

Voltage on pins 2 and 15 of the SAD seems to be a bit low. Maybe try to get it higher with the bias trim.

Wounded Paw

I can get the voltage on 2 and 15 of SAD1024 up to 4.32v the bias trim but it doesn't have any effect.

The LFO is working.  I think my multimeter is too slow to register it but with an audio probe there is a definite pulse there and at pin 2 of the 311 so the flanger/matrix switch is in the right position.

markusw

How are the voltages on the 324?

Actually, I would assume if the LFO is set to slowest you should be able to see the sweep even on a cheap DMM (set to DC).

Don't give up!  ;)

Do you have access to a scope or a frequency counter?

Wounded Paw

I have the audio probe going into a DI box into a MOTU AD converter and then into the computer with some software scopes and frequency analyzers and with that I can see the rate of the LFO sort of.  It goes from somewhere around 20Hz with the rate pot at full to somewhat less than 1 Hz by watching for peaks on the input, I'm assuming the setup I'm using wouldn't pick up anything below 20hz anyways.  So it would appear the LFO is functioning.  At least up to the input of the LM311, pin 2.  The actual IC is a LM311N but by looking at datasheets this shouldn't be important.  I'd still like to know what is supposed to be output at pin 7 of the 311.  There is nothing there on any scopes and the DMM.

Here's the voltages for the LM324  (the range knob is maxed)

1 - 2.67
2 - 1.62
3 - 1.57
4 - 9.5
5 - 4.38
6 - 4.3
7 - 4.37
8 - 4.35
9 - 4.39
10 - 4.30
11 - 0
12 - 4.33
13 - 4.77
14 - 4.77

markusw

The voltages on the 324 should be OK.

On the output of the 311 should be the clock signal, which is well above the audio range. So you won't be able to see the clock signal on soundcard software scope.
Maybe you can get access to a real scope to check?

ilponiz

Hello everyone,
I just built a 9V Electric Mistress using Gaussmarkov layout but the pedal doesn't work.  :icon_cry:

I have the following problem i can't sort out:
- the 10 ohm resistor at the power input keeps burning up every time i tried to test the pedal. It only happened when using a power supply and the result is always the same: led works fine but that resistor burns immediately. Using a battery, instead, produced nothing...no led and no burnt resistor.

i don't have a clue about what's wrong with the board.  I couldn't find any shorts or anything else wrong, and only substituted the 1N961B Zener (10V, 32mA, 500mW) with a 12V zener diode. I double-checked the caps polarity (electros and tantaliums), the diodes, the IC's...
??? ??? ??? ???

if needed, i can post pictures of my build, obviously.

Thanks in advance, mates

poniz