Have a hardtime cutting those PCB's straight?

Started by $uperpuma, April 25, 2006, 01:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

$uperpuma

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

rockgardenlove

Looks a bit excessive IMO...I use a cheap little hacksaw from my local hardware store.

chunks717

utility knife:$1.50
metal ruler:$3.00
ten fingers:priceless
*be careful kids!*

$uperpuma

I make 3-5 boards a week... either for customers or for myself...trying to score them with a utility knife or cut them with a dremel, it either takes too long or doesn't cut perfect... between teir $40 drill press and $50 mini table saw I am two steps closer to having nice professional results in the optimum amount of time.. the powder coating setup is next :)

LyleCaldwell

What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

gez

If you're going to spend money, and if you make a fair few boards, a guillotine is the quickest and best option.  It's also the safest - no dust!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

RJ

I like the guillotine approach too...I picked up a benchtop 6" metal shear at a House of Tools or maybe Princess Auto *edit: for 60 bucks* and it's great for cutting pcbs....couldn't be easier really, and no dust.

Gotta say though, that mini table saw looks pretty neat! 

RaceDriver205

QuoteIt's also the safest - no dust!
Dont worry about it, check out the discussion on "dust injury" at:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44440.0

gez

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on April 25, 2006, 05:11:27 AM
QuoteIt's also the safest - no dust!
Dont worry about it, check out the discussion on "dust injury" at:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44440.0

Glass fibre can irritate the lungs.  As far as I know it stays there.  It's a real concern.  I know this from my time of 'working' with fibreglass. 

It's thought that resins like epoxy might be carcinogenic.  Time will tell. 

I am concerned, read some stuff on fibreglass and you might be too.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

bancika

I cut them with ruler and sharp blade, it's enough to cut about 1/4 of board thickness and it will snap straight when broken...
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

MadMatt

Hey,
:icon_idea:
the last times i´ve used a little, and easy to make tool......get yourself a router, make a small table to clamp to your bench(a piece of wood, drill a hole in it and fix your Router beneath.)Get a set of bits with ballbearings on the shaft, make yourself a template of a piece of wood and then you can tape the PCB´s on it and drive it (carefull) along the bit....it´s even possible to make complex cutted PCB´s.
This takes little time to build and make the templates for your PCB´s, but once you´re finished you can cut many PCB´s to absolutely accuracy in very little time.
I also use this setup to Cut Custom Pickguards in my shop.Works well!
If needed i can make a drawing for you....please let me know.
Good Luck,

Matthias

markm

Quote from: chunks717 on April 25, 2006, 01:14:14 AM
utility knife:$1.50
metal ruler:$3.00
ten fingers:priceless
*be careful kids!*

:icon_lol:
I use this method too....works great!

nelson

I use wallpaper scissors.

Straight cuts in a jiffy.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

$uperpuma

That thing looks like it would work like a champ, too!  And if someone owes you money.... start with the pinky

mdh

Quote from: R.G. on April 25, 2006, 11:40:51 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90757

Whoa, a shear and a brake in one... that looks sweet! I think some of the Luddites in this thread don't get that many of us do this sort of a thing as an excuse to buy cool new tools  ;)

Brian Marshall

airborne fiberglass particles are actually quite similar to asbestos.  I use tin snips to cut my boards.

R.G.

QuoteWhoa, a shear and a brake in one... that looks sweet!
I couldn't find the one I really wanted to recommend. I have the 12" version. It has a shear, brake, and also slip rolls for rolling sheet metal into tubes. Yeah, right, like I make a lot of sheet metal tubes... 8-)

But the shear is GREAT!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

johngreene

Quote from: R.G. on April 25, 2006, 05:41:47 PM
QuoteWhoa, a shear and a brake in one... that looks sweet!
I couldn't find the one I really wanted to recommend. I have the 12" version. It has a shear, brake, and also slip rolls for rolling sheet metal into tubes. Yeah, right, like I make a lot of sheet metal tubes... 8-)

But the shear is GREAT!
A couple of jobs ago..... we bought a Central Machinery brake/shear/roller from Harbor Freight and the guide for the shear was not perpendicular to the shear blade! We had to install our own block so we could make straight cuts. During the assembly process there were bolt holes that weren't tapped, bolts that were not threaded, etc. Had similar experiences with drill presses and other Central Machinery tools. If you are able to 'rework' them, they can be worth the risk, but I wouldn't expect them to be perfect out of the box.

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.