Build Report: Another Easy Vibe!

Started by GibsonGM, December 30, 2006, 02:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

The first EV I built had clicking problems, and a lack of "swoosh", to my ears...this has been reported a number of times, mainly when using the Hollis original schematic with TL064's.  I did see some potential, so, I rebuilt mine.  In an effort to avoid this problem after a long, long build (I do a lot of stuff on perf, too lazy to etch a board!), I came up with the following successful gems that I mined from the forum:

- moved oscillator off-board, using 3 sections of TL064.  Tied unused OA to Vref, - input to output.  Grounded this 2nd board at input jack with everything else.

- actually CHECKED cap values by their number, rather than trusting my meter (notoriously inaccurate for nf).  I bet this had the most effect on "swoosh" or lack thereof.

- socketed input cap for experimenting...worked on layout so everything made sense, was neat, and could be plugged in 'assembly line' fashion for each of the 4 filter sections.

- applied star grounding techniques, and shielded input wire thru switch to board with another wire hooked to ground at one end only, at the jack.  Power lines only cross signal path at right angles, and only 1 time.  Since I used a RS large board, there is a track running around the enire PCB.  I cut the center tracks away from this, and made this outside track the board ground (surrounding the ckt with a ground plane).  Then re-connected 1 of the ctr. tracks to act as ground for the OA's.

- kept everything NEAT, using cable ties for LED lines etc, established ground point right where they hit the main board (the OA ground trace).  All unused OA's terminated properly as above.

Otherwise, the ckt is as drawn by Hollis.  I have to say, this thing ROCKS!!!  It is quiet, and NO clicking, buzz, hum or otherwise.  I'd heard good things about them, but couldn't get the sound myself until I forced myself to get a little strict about good building techniques.  You can get away with slop in a distortion ckt, but not something this complex, ha ha.  This sucker sounds like Jimi at Woodstock when used with distortion, and like the intro to "Love Hurts" by Nazareth when used clean - it will definitely get onto my board for use out  ;D   My advice if you're building one is to take your time, keep it very neat and orderly, and don't rush it - it's worth the effort. 

Future Mods:

Will make rate pot switchable to a 100kA pot located on wah shell exterior - it is hard to get the sweet speed dialed in by foot.  Will be seeing which input cap sounds best with my LP and tube amp.  Other than that, it stays the way it was designed  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Izzy

We would so love to see the pictures and hear some sound clips!  ;)

GibsonGM

Hi Izzy,

I set up a soundclip; not that wonderful since I went direct through my RP3 but you get the idea  ;)  It sounds much more lush through my amp.

I will put a pic or 2 up when I get it back in its enclosure (it's out for testing, lol).

http://geocities.com/guitarfenderhandyman/easyvibe.mp3
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

finkfloyd

Hi,

Your site bandwidth has gone...(tripod is the worst for that)

Please could you upload your clip somewhere more stable like http://www.rogepost.com/ for instance.

GibsonGM

Sure, floyd, here ya go...thx for the upload site suggestion, I've been looking for a good place to throw clips at  ;)

Enjoy, altho the distortion sux, lol.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/6989157210
  • SUPPORTER

idlechatterbox