DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

To put vertical jumpers you need to click on hole in first/last row and anywhere outside board.
Damn, you're the second one who has problem with last row...I have to find a way to replicate it...damn death row :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Austin73

I actually need to be able to put a vertical jumper anywhere on the board rather than just on the edges if that makes sense

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

bancika

I get it now, will think about it...

SuzukiScottie

Quote from: Austin73 on May 14, 2006, 10:05:13 AM
Also it's a pain to delete anything after you have started, only one udo how about multiple or even better a delete component.

Aus

In the component list on the right hand side..... right click the desired component, select delete, job done!

bancika

bancika

I just uploaded new version, good old link http://storm-software.co.yu/DIYLayout.exe
New added: trimmers, redesigned about box, little easier to use (green dots for trimemrs and transistors), improved drawing (component names are not rotated whenever possible), etc...
Nobody tested PnP print yet? ???

JimRayden

Quote from: bancika on May 14, 2006, 09:31:55 PM
I just uploaded new version, good old link http://storm-software.co.yu/DIYLayout.exe
New added: trimmers, redesigned about box, little easier to use (green dots for trimemrs and transistors), improved drawing (component names are not rotated whenever possible), etc...
Nobody tested PnP print yet? ???

Excellent, I love the trimmers.

Perhaps you could draw pins on the transistor, right now it kind of "blocks" the view.I mean just make the holes under a transistor visible. Possible?

---------
Jimbo

rockgardenlove

Here's what I'd like to see:

Clickable components...this would be SOO much easier than selecting on the right hand side. 
Click/Drag components
Undo/Ctrl-Z
Redo/Ctrl-Y
Organization of numbers...right now it only goes by first digit.  So sometimes it organizes it as 1, 15, 2, 21...etc...
Save As/Save Copy function
Ctrl-Click to select more than one
Shift-Click to select all in between
Save dialog when the program shuts down
When you open a saved project, it doesn't load the parts list!  BIG PROBLEM!
Solder pads don't need names...
There are many trimmers without a gap of two holes between the middle leg and the outer ones

And PNP print just prints a blank page :(

JimRayden

Quote from: rockgardenlove on May 15, 2006, 12:34:21 AM
Here's what I'd like to see:

Clickable components...this would be SOO much easier than selecting on the right hand side. 
Click/Drag components

Quote from: bancika on May 10, 2006, 05:48:47 PM
The thing is: everything is painted on a canvas - one visual component. So it's difficult to analyze layout structure in order to find out what's under mouse point, especially because there can be more than one component on the same place (e.g. trace cut and jumper). Maybe it will be possible sometimes, but for now I don't think it's too complicated to locate your pad. List is sorted by type, so you need only to click on first and press down arrow on keyboard to select next. With 100 pads it shouldn't take more than one minute, worst case scenario :)

There you go.

When you open a saved project, it doesn't load the parts list!  BIG PROBLEM!

bancika has already been notified of that. And it's not such a BIG PROBLEM as when you create a component, it reappears. Voila.

Undo/Ctrl-Z
Redo/Ctrl-Y
Organization of numbers...right now it only goes by first digit.  So sometimes it organizes it as 1, 15, 2, 21...etc...

As to these, I join Mr.Gardenlove. Sure looks much to do but take your time Bancika, you're going on a too fast pace anyway. ;D

-----------
Jimbo

bancika

Hm...I think I fixed that bug that doesn't load list when opening file...I just tried it and it worked, but only when opening from program, and not from windows...will fix it.

QuoteUndo/Ctrl-Z
Redo/Ctrl-Y

Ok, just when you select more than one you won't be able to do anything but delete...

Since component clicking is out of reach, solder pads and traces do need name, so you can identify it.

Are you sure that you put some traces/pads before trying to print PnP because that's only thing it prints. I tried with virtual printer that prints fo image file and it did print, I just don't know about scale.

Thanks for suggestions!

rockgardenlove

I printed it with traces and pads, yeah.  I used both a PDF printer, and a paper printer...dunno whats going on.

JimRayden

The print function works for me. The size of the printout is exactly right BUT it doesn't print trace widths, all the traces are the same width and pads the same default size. Get that fixed and it's good.

I don't know if it would be too much of work but in PCB mode, perhaps the components should have pads stuck to them? I mean, if I create a 16-pin IC, I'd like to have all the pads at where I placed the IC instead of creating them all individually. And when I decide to move the IC, I'd have to move each of the pads too... Perhaps it's possible to set up a child-parent relationship so the pads are travelling along with the components? Also with transistors, resistors and other components. That would make PCB-designing much simpler.

----------
Jimbo

rockgardenlove

^Good idea...

And while you're at it, a schematics drawer, and a box layout designer would be REALLY nice ;)

Especially the box layout designer, I have alot of trouble with that stuff.  Just something where you could enter the size of your box(XYZ) and then be able to move around jacks, pots, and switches inside the enclosure...

bancika

Unfortunately, I don't have time these days. Yesterdays I had the hardest exam on my faculty, actually, the harders part of exam..."Mathematical Analysys II: Integrals" phew  :icon_confused:
And many more to come.
About creating solder pads, it would be very simple to just create it, but adding "parent" property would make things little complicated but doable. Any way, I'll do one of this, that's for sure.
As for other things: schematic drawer, I already said; There are very nice free solutions (TinyCAD) and I'd waste so much time trying to make something that will hardly be better. It's better to put that time for something more useful. Box layout maker is really nice idea. I will think about it...
Also, I need to put "Change Value" directly inside explorer because when you want to change only value and not position you need to replace whole component...boring :)
Thanks for comments

bancika

Finally got some time to work on this baby. New major updates:

• Transparent components, hurrah! :) Now you can see traces/jumpers under component
  • auto created solder pads when you create any component in PCB mode, still no "parent" property, but it works nice

Transparency level is set to 78%, do you think it's
a) OK
b) too transparent
c) too opaque

Tnx

JimRayden

hairyandy

Looks A OK to me.   ;D  Bancika, you're the man!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

bancika

Tnx  :icon_cool:
The only drawback is slower drawing. With 100% opaque pics you can just copy it to surface. For transparent I had to mix colors for every pixel on every component. I'll try to improve my algorithm a little, but it's nothing seriously slow anyway.

JimRayden

Hmm, perhaps add a slider to the 'properties' tab that would allow selecting the transparency of the components for the project?

------------
Jimbo

Gilles C

Istarted working on a circuit again after stopping when I had to change things on the pcb, and I keep missing an option.

How can you delete a specific "cut track" component. They are numbered on the Explorer, but I can't find the name of the one I want to delete on the pcb.

For example, what I did is delete a component to move it elsewhere, but I have to delete a track cut because of that, but I can't find which one I should delete to get my trace  connected again.

Thanks,

Gilles