DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

Quote from: Gilles C on May 24, 2006, 01:52:53 PM
Istarted working on a circuit again after stopping when I had to change things on the pcb, and I keep missing an option.

How can you delete a specific "cut track" component. They are numbered on the Explorer, but I can't find the name of the one I want to delete on the pcb.

For example, what I did is delete a component to move it elsewhere, but I have to delete a track cut because of that, but I can't find which one I should delete to get my trace  connected again.

Thanks,

Gilles

Good point. The program paints the selected components red but cut track is already red. ;D

----------
Jimbo

bancika

Yeah, I'm thinking about elegant solution for cut track, it occured to me before. Maybe turn it green, or blue when selected.
About transparency, it wouldn't be much of a problem for me to make it variable, but from where I'm standing it's not necessary. Point of transparency is to see what's below. With current transparency it's possible to see both component and background...
Anyone else is for, against that?
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

JimRayden

Would a "component on/transparent/off"-switch come into consideration? :) I don't know why, I just feel I'd like that in handy.

Okay, I'll let others chime in with an opinion on that. 8)

----------
Jimbo

bancika

It's the same amount of work to make check box and slider. As I said, it's not a problem, just use of that is under question.
I'm uploading new version http://www.storm-software.co.yu/DIYLayout.exe
New things to check out:

• selected cut track turns blue ("the traffic lights will turn blue tomorrow"  :icon_idea:) :)
  • auto solder pad creating
  • changing component values directly from drop down menu
  • program prompts when closing unsaved project; added Save As...
  • maybe something else, but I forgot :)
Cheers

rockgardenlove

I just had a good idea I think...
Instead of having the traces show up on the right, with a name and all, could you just make it possible to draw them out?  It takes up tons of space over on the right.  I think it would be nice if you could draw them out with the mouse, but have the lines snap to the points so its easier to draw.  I don't think having the traces show up as components is very practical...

Gilles C

Just tried it with the cut track turning blue. Now you're talking.

I was able to mod the circuit I began last week easily. I didn't feel like starting it all over. I don't have to anymore, I can see where I'm going...

And the cut track turning blue under a transparent IC looks cool.

Thanks,

Gilles

bancika

Quote from: rockgardenlove on May 25, 2006, 11:04:34 PM
I just had a good idea I think...
Instead of having the traces show up on the right, with a name and all, could you just make it possible to draw them out?  It takes up tons of space over on the right.  I think it would be nice if you could draw them out with the mouse, but have the lines snap to the points so its easier to draw.  I don't think having the traces show up as components is very practical...

Yeah, but what happens when you want to delete one? That's the only reason I keep them on list. I tried to speed up process a bit, for those components that name doesn't matter name dialog doesn't appear at all. So you just need to click and it's created with auto name.
I'll think about saving some space in explorer the other way...

rockgardenlove

^Eraser tool.  Just make it so it only applies to the tracks, and not the other components.  And of course, still make it snap to the points.

bancika

Well...that sends us back to component detection program. As I said before, everything is painted on board, so it's very hard for me to determine what component is under mouse cursor when you move mouse over board. Would it help if I make explorer like Tree with folders (Traces, Pads, Resistors..) and all resistors would go in resistors folder. That way you can just collapse folders you don't need.

Melanhead

Wow ... this is strating to look pretty damn cool! ...

Gilles C

I'm almost done drawing Mark Hammer Chaos circuit with your program, only copying Torchy's layout for now, and I found a little detail that is causing me problems.

I can't see the cut tracks under the resistors. At first I though I forgot to add some of the cut tracks, but sudenly realised it was hidden under a resistor.

The resistor is transparent, but I can't see the cut track. But everything else work perfectly.

Gilles

bancika

Tnx :)
What do you suggest doing about that?

rockgardenlove

A tree setup would be WAY easier...

But IMO, the thing that would really bring widespread use is being able to click+drag compononts on the board.  Not being able to really kills it for me.

bancika

I'll make tree list soon, it won't be a problem.
For second one I can't promise anything. As said, it's really not easy thing to do. :-\

bancika

I said soon, didn't I :)
components in tree view:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/bancika/software12.gif

Gilles C

I was wondering is being able to put the name of the components outside of the part wouln't make it possible to see the cut track.

Something like a component name position that could be selected as Bottom, Top, Left or Right (B, T, L, R).

I almost suggested you once to add new kinds of resistors for resistors placed on their end. But it would have ment to place the name outside the part, and I like having the name inside the component. The same for caps and diodes.

I know, I know... more work, more components.

Oh, maybe just having a second cut track component a little wider that would show each side of the resistor. It wouldn't help the caps though. Unless you make the caps a bit slimmer  ???

Like in the bottom drawin for R11. See what I mean?

The original from Torchy

http://www.indyguitarist.com/torchy/Distortion_Overdrive/Mark%20Hammer's%20Chaos/Chaos.gif

Ok, just thinking out loud. What about a special button that would show the cut tracks opaque on top of the components for when we want to see them all. Hit the bottom again and they take their place back under the components. After all, we only need to see them once when we cut them, and only also when we debug the circuit.

A last suggestion. Would it be possible to have 2 lines for the credits? I realised I could need more place for the credits sometimes.

These are just suggestions anyway  :icon_wink:

Btw, I checked with another stripboard program and it doesn't show the cut tracks either. Maybe I'll looking for perfection  :icon_redface:

Hey, the tree view looks super...

Gilles

bancika

Well, name positioning can solve the problem, I'll think about that.
Don't forget so submit layout when it's done (it would be first one :))
Tnx

Update: I think I found a way to make life easier to both me and users. It's about moving components around. I placed 4 arrow buttons in explorer which move selected component in given direction for one hole. It's not drag and drop, but it works fine :)

rockgardenlove

Also, a way to edit component values would be good...I was trying to do that before, but I couldn't figure it out.

hairyandy

Bancika,

I just did a quickie layout for a PNP negative ground Rangemaster and the program wouldn't let me submit it to your layout gallery.  Here's the layout:

Also, is there a way to designate where the collector is on a transistor other than using the text function?

Thanks, this program is great!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

bancika

rockgardenlove: Right click on component in explorer -> Change value
hairyandy: most likely there's firewall blocking internet connection for program. You can manually submit too
support[AT]storm-software.co.yu
You're gonna be the first after all :)
Edit: please send .diy file, not GIF.
Tnx