DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

I went ahead and released what I had done until yesterday so everyone can test. It's new feature, so it won't be the end of the world if something's not perfect yet. If you want, please send few files to bancika AT gmail DOT com, so I can test for myself. I tested on some generic files created for that purpose, but would like to see how it works in a real world example.

Btw, added a bunch of other cool stuff

[New Feature] Import files created in DIYLC v2
[New Feature] Ability to force components to the front or back of other components even outisde their designated layers, allowing placing components or jumpers below boards, etc
[New Feature] 'Tilde' key repeats the last added component
[New Feature] Duplicate selection option in Edit menu and popup menu (Ctrl+D)
[New Feature] Added bitchin new splash screen
[New Feature] Potentiometers can show an optional shaft, can have either solder lugs or PCB pins and rendering includes the wafer
[New Feature] Ability to change PCB board shape from rectangular to oval
[Improvement] Do not block the UI while checking for new version at startup (can be problematic when there's connectivity issues)
[Improvement] DIL IC label rotates to fit the longer side of the component. Name and value are displayed in separate lines
[Improvement] Better axial electrolytic rendering. Changed default color of all electrolytic capacitors
[Improvement] Editable toggle switch color
[Improvement] Changed border color of memory status bar in bottom-right corner not to be red under OSX
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

~arph

Hi,

Not sure if this is mentioned around here, but if you are getting the 'This application is damaged' message on OSX Sierra. Here is a fix:

Open a terminal and type this:

sudo codesign --force --sign - /Applications/DIYLC.app

Make sure that the last bit is actually the path to your application.

After this it becomes an untrusted application and you can then accept to run it in 'System Preferences -> Security and privacy'

fuser-invent

I like the new splash screen! I think it would be cool if after the components get into place there was a short pause before it jumps to the app.

Being able to set the font and size for all the component labels in the project is awesome. I noticed that it doesn't apply to "misc --> label" though.

I think a better option for that would be that when you apply a "misc --> label" and set the font/size it saves it. So when applying another label it uses the same font and size that you applied to the last label instead of going back to the default of Tahoma 14. Then all the component labels can be one font/size and you can use another font/size to label sections of the circuit, titles, notes, etc.

bancika

Quote from: fuser-invent on May 09, 2017, 04:10:05 PM
I like the new splash screen! I think it would be cool if after the components get into place there was a short pause before it jumps to the app.

I didn't want to make the startup last any longer than necessary. Splash is just there for users to see that something's happening and that the app is starting. Sure, it looks cute and maybe an extra second or two would let you enjoy it for little longer, but I just wanted to keep things fast.

Quote from: fuser-invent on May 09, 2017, 04:10:05 PM
Being able to set the font and size for all the component labels in the project is awesome. I noticed that it doesn't apply to "misc --> label" though.

I think a better option for that would be that when you apply a "misc --> label" and set the font/size it saves it. So when applying another label it uses the same font and size that you applied to the last label instead of going back to the default of Tahoma 14. Then all the component labels can be one font/size and you can use another font/size to label sections of the circuit, titles, notes, etc.

You can use checkboxes on the right side of font and size to make them default for label. Any future instances will pick up those values as default.

Quote from: ~arph on May 09, 2017, 02:34:05 PM
Hi,

Not sure if this is mentioned around here, but if you are getting the 'This application is damaged' message on OSX Sierra. Here is a fix:

Open a terminal and type this:

sudo codesign --force --sign - /Applications/DIYLC.app

Make sure that the last bit is actually the path to your application.

After this it becomes an untrusted application and you can then accept to run it in 'System Preferences -> Security and privacy'

Thanks.

I get this from pretty much every mac user :) Even though it's mentioned on the top of the first page here https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator and in the user manual https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator/blob/wiki/Manual.md
I just hate the way apple handles 3rd party apps. Why don't they just say that it's blocked. Damaged? They f* damaged it and now complain about it :) People get impression that it's my fault and then report it as an issue with the build.

Cheers

~arph

Hi,

Yes, I followed the instructions on your site. Thing is, this exact solution is not in there. The anywhere option is not in Gatekeeper anymore and with spctl I could not set it either. I had to find a solution via Google.

Anyway, super stoked that I can use it again. And happy to see the tripad board in there as I am just going to user this for the first time.

One feature request  8)  I really miss a connectivity indicator. Say you click/hover on one pad/trace and all other pads and traces that are connected light up. This way you can check your connectivity and see if you did not miss any jumpers or trace cuts.

bancika

To make it even more annoying, every OSX version handles 3rd party apps differently. I managed to get my hands on mac with OSX sierra to test v40 and when I downloaded DIYLC and ran it for the first time, it just asked if I wanted to allow it or not and that's it. I didn't have to do anything through the terminal. Odd.

I tried to start a fundraiser to collect 100 bucks for apple store membership so I can deploy DIYLC "officially", but only one person was interested in contributing, which is a bit unexpected, given the number of complaints I get for "damaged app" :)

~arph

Seriously? wow I must have missed it, I'd back you up for a quarter of the required amount

bancika

There was a public announcement in the app active for around month and a half and I posted on all forums, but got only one response, so I took the announcement down few days ago :)

Great, I'll have you in mind. I'll chip in myself, even though I don't have a mac I'd invest in this just to avoid the damaged app annoyance for users and for me.

Cheers

Nosivad

Sounds like a brilliant idea, I'd certainly use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bancika

I investigated some more and looks like there's a very decent amount of work that I'm not familiar with to get the app built and published to itunes...and it's even more complicated for java apps.
Even money aside I'm not sure if I could do it without investing a lot of time. Maybe this will have to wait for someone who's familiar with the process.

squeezer

The changing of default values is no longer working. I tick the box, but the next element I create has the old value.
Tried Windows 3.39 and 3.40.
Went back to 3.36 where this was still working.

bancika

I just tested in 3.40 and it worked. Which components are you trying to change? Can you try to go through the same process and get the latest log from C:\Users\<your name>\.diylc\logs and post it here https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator/issues ? I'll see from the log what exactly you did and what went wrong.

One thing that comes to my mind is that in 3.39 I changed the location of config file. So anything you configured in previous versions will remain in the installation folder stored in config.xml and anything set in the newer versions will be stored in C:\Users\<your name>\.diylc\ you can copy config file from one place to the other if you want to keep the old version config.

GGBB

That config file change messed me up - I always copy my last config to the new installation folder before the first run, which didn't work as expected this time - I had lost all my template electro caps. Turned out that happened in 3.36? when you changed the name of them (appended " (radial)"). The config change made it difficult to debug and fix my config. All is okay now.

Bancika - did you change undo levels? Can't confirm but it seems like there are a lot less than there used to be. Again - not sure when this might have happened if it did.

I also discovered a feature I hadn't seen before - Expand Selection -> Same Type Only. How is this supposed to work? I can't see any pattern to it. Usually doesn't select anything other than the component already selected. Sometimes selects additional components, but I can't see what the criteria are.
  • SUPPORTER

bancika

Sorry about the config, I didn't really think about the consequences. It was appealing to me to move it to standardized location, it didn't occur. But you should be able to copy old configs from old install folders into your user directory under .diylc. That should still work.

There's no change in undo mechanism.

As far as expand selection goes, it's experimental and buggy.

GGBB

Quote from: bancika on May 16, 2017, 10:02:44 AMBut you should be able to copy old configs from old install folders into your user directory under .diylc. That should still work.

That's what I ended up doing, but I had to manually change the electro templates name, and that didn't seem to work, so had to fix all the relative references for things like colors etc. because they were causing errors.
  • SUPPORTER

bancika

hmm, I didn't do that on purpose either.

I guess that's the price of progress when working as a solo developer with no QA team to catch stuff like this.

GGBB

For me - the problems are a small price to pay for free awesome software. :)
  • SUPPORTER

squeezer

Quote from: bancika on May 16, 2017, 06:18:54 AM
One thing that comes to my mind is that in 3.39 I changed the location of config file. So anything you configured in previous versions will remain in the installation folder stored in config.xml and anything set in the newer versions will be stored in C:\Users\<your name>\.diylc\ you can copy config file from one place to the other if you want to keep the old version config.

Thank you for you answer. I tried and copied the 3.36 config.xml to the new location.
Now I not only have my old default values back in the new version, the problem with not storing new default values disappeared too.
Maybe the new config file was damaged somehow, I don't know.

Plexi

I'm using the new update... is great!  :)
Is there any way to put as backup any pick to trace?
Or any chance to fill the board to ground?

THANKS!  ;D
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

DC9V

Quote from: bancika on May 06, 2017, 03:23:56 AM
Anyone here still uses the old v2? I know folks from http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.rs/ still do.

I'm finishing up importer, so we can open v2 files in the latest v3 version hoping we can finally retire v2 for good :) Importer is not perfect, since component set is not exactly the same, but it should work fine in most cases.

If there's anyone who has v2 files let me know, so we can try and see how successful it is in real world.

Cheers,
Bane

Hi bancika,

First let ma thank you for your work on DIYLC. My knowledge of electronics is very basic but DIYLC has enabled me to design PCBs to build my own effects pedals, and I would never have been able to do it without this awesome piece of software.

I just got back into tinkering with FX circuits after a hiatus of a few years. On an old hard drive I found some circuits I had designed with DIYLC v2 beta. I tried to import them with DIYLC Gen3 v40.0 which I had just installed but to no avail; I kept getting the error "Could not open file XXX. Check the log for details."

Fortunately I also found the .zip with DIYLC v2 beta on the same HD so I was able to use it to open these files. But maybe it's a bit early to retire v2.x for people with old files not compatible with the newer versions ?