DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

I just tried your layout. I must admit that program is not optimized too well yet so with big layouts it can be slow (transparent drawing isn't helping much with speed). Looks there are more bugs left. I tried moving all components and it worked (slow, though) and moved all components but two or three traces left unmoved.
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

d@vide

Hi Bancika,
the software grewup wery well thanks for your effort! (but my PC is a little tired :-( )
tip.. is possible add electrolitics and poliester caps with right dimension? eg the diameter of a 2200uF 35V is 1.5cm.
This would be a great aid to make a pcb.
Is too much?? I can send you the measure of electrolitics and poliester with the right pass.

bancika

well, for electros it's great idea, but for caps...maybe they use ceramic caps, or ones in plastic block...
Anyway, I'm exhausted these days. Today I had exam, have one tomorrow, then in friday, then...  :icon_sad:
But it's worth thinking and you can send me data. I'll use it when the time comes. Diameter also depends on voltage of cap, but there isn't voltage field. So, we'll assume they use the most common ones, either 16V, 25V or 35V for stompboxes.
Tnx

markm

For Elctro cap spacing I've found that if you just skip one hole between the two
solder pads it's good to go.
I've even used two pads next to each other for electros and though its'
a bit on the tight side, it still works fine.
I don't know if this would work for vero as I have only used the PCB format.

bancika

Hmm, I think we're talking about different things. Mark, do you think about lead spacing?
d@vide is talking about electro diameter.
I don't think lead spacing is much of importance, because you can always stick one into another. I had problem with WIMA caps with short 5mm spaced leads to stick into holes spaced 2.54mm, but generally it's ok.
Right?

markm

RLBJR65

The most important thing is that you know the component sizes when you are designing a layout. If you have a big cap just leave extra room for it. The ability to do that is one of the things I like best about this program.

There is no possible way to have every size / shape of every component. Don't even try.
For an example, I have 10uF 16v electrolytic caps from 3 different manufacturers and they are all different sizes. Add to that list 10uf tantalum caps that are the size of a pencil lead, then you have radial caps and now lets look at 25v, 35v, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

Richard

Sorry hope that does not sound like a rant, I really did not mean it to be :icon_biggrin:
Richard Boop

bancika

Yeah, you're right. Any try to match size of actual caps is shoot in the dark. There are no guarantees it will be more accurate than it is now.

disto

wow im impressed very nice piece of kit! i will be using it soon im sure!!

uh one little thing the "check for updates" should it recognise when you have most up to date version? if you click the botton it states there is a new update, and once this is installed and you click the update button again it still says there is a new update. perhaps a function that says your software is uptodate no need to download would be useful or just the updates are given a version number so you can cross reference with the version you are running?! just an idea.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: bancika on June 26, 2006, 06:16:35 PM
Yeah, you're right. Any try to match size of actual caps is shoot in the dark. There are no guarantees it will be more accurate than it is now.

I order caps from Mouser & Digikey based on their physical dimensions.

What about having two diameters of electrolytic?
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

bancika

About updates: it's my mistake. There's one place in program where I need to update version each time before upload. I forgot to do it so program "thinks" it's still previous version. It'll be ok with next ver.
As for electros...can you think of a way to do it without making new component (like two types of trimmers with same component). It can draw bigger one when hole distance is greater than 1 or 2 perhaps??

d@vide

perhaps 3 or 4 diameters for electro is enough... eg 10uF, 100uF, 1000uF and 2200uF
It obvious that you cannot put any size per any voltage... too much item.
But if I would make a power supply PCB with 2200uF filter caps (like I do now) I must consider diameter and lead spacing.
Idem for poliester caps ( the boxed types) .... here 2 or 3 largenesses is enough.

Anyway W Bancika!

choklitlove

Quote from: bancika on June 27, 2006, 12:29:00 AM
As for electros...can you think of a way to do it without making new component (like two types of trimmers with same component). It can draw bigger one when hole distance is greater than 1 or 2 perhaps??
a way would be an option in the pop-up that happens when you add a component.  you know, where you enter the value and name.  the lead spacing should stay the same for electros and trimmers.  when you enter the value, the program could tell how big the cap would be depending on the value.  if/then statements would work for that i think.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

bancika

It's not hard to do but it would change concept a little. See, as I explained before (100 posts or so  :icon_razz:) I have unique system for storing/drawing components. Each component is determined with 5 properties:
Record type (determines component type), name (component name), value, X1, X2, Y1, Y2 for source and destination hole coordinates. I would have to change that system for adding property that would only be used with electros. It kinda sucks :)

bancika

Today I added rotation, some of you asked for it.
Anyway, it's done like this: you can rotate more than one component at the same time and they are rotated around center of area they cover. I think it's better than rotate each of them around itself. This was little harder to do..
what do you think?
btw, it's uplodaded  :icon_smile:

stumper1

Bancika,

Does that mean you can now "select all" and then "rotate" too?

Thanks SO much for all your hard work.

Deric
DericĀ®

choklitlove

bancika- i downloaded the latest version.  i'm not seeing any rotate button next to the move arrows.  am i missing something? 

bancika

$uperpuma

i really like this program Bancika.. I made a bunch of Mill. 2 bypass boards with it...and it was quick and easy...thanks for all your hard work on it!
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

choklitlove