DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

And new screenshot, library is reworked, now components are organized into categories. I made few more components just to test.
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

bancika

Thanks Kornell, I'll post alpha version probably today-tomorrow for anyone interested to try.
Cheers,
Bane

bancika

bancika

I put alpha version for all interested to try. You need to have Java 1.5 or newer installed in order for it to work. Just extract everything into the same folder and execute diylc.jar. Still no saving/loading files, I wrote routines, but didn't make GUI part yet.

Here's the link http://www.storm-software.co.yu/temp/diylc_alpha.zip

Let me know what you think, cheers!

Basile

OK it looks promising... I'm curious to see if it works well on Linux!

BR

Basile
The Flammable Project - a website made for DIY'ers.
Current project: The Mutron Biphase

nbabmf

bancika

Also, I forgot to say, double click on the component in the library creates new instance, double click on component on the layout opens properties dialog for that component.
Cheers

scaesic

i think iv come across a problem. I cant delete components once they are created.

Also, the components wont stay selected, they unselect themselves imediately after clicking on them.

also, i dont think i could select the capacitor (schematic) at all.

lastly, this is probably something you just havnt got round to yet and know about, but just incase, there has to be a simpler way of rotating transistors other than typing in an angle (although i do like the fact that you can edit it on that level)

and in the same line of thought, its a bit weird how chips automatically rotate themselves according to the size.

bancika

yeah, I didn't make deletion yet :)

I know about cap symbol selection, will fix it (you can't select any lines yet, but with cap being just a few lines, it's a issue)

yeah, I was planning to make better rotation.

I'll improve chips, it's just basic idea.

It's still early stage of development, there will be many improvements. Thanks for looking into it!

scaesic

I think its good, better than the old version, works much smoother.

frokost

This is great news and a most welcome development! You can't imagine how painful it has been trying to use the program under Q emulator running Win98 on a PowerPC Mac....

EDIT: The "Library" window is empty on Mac, running J2SE 5.0. Maybe there is an upgrade to this now...?

bancika

It probably didn't recognize the folder, did you unpack whole archive in the same folder? try putting everything on C:\

frokost

I see. I'm discarding the "my java is outdated" theory, since

Quote$:~/Desktop/diylc_alpha/diylc$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

Since this is a Mac, it's hard to put anything on C:\ at all. How are you addressing the files? Maybe there's something that confuses java on unix systems, like trying to find ~\comp\*.xml instead of ~/comp/*.xml or something like that. I don't know, but maybe?

bancika

yeah, it does try to find path with \ instead of /, is that an issue for mac?

bancika

anyways, I have updated with version that uses /, try do download it from the same location
cheers

frokost

Unix systems, like MacOS, use the regular slash to separate directories, as opposed to Windows, which uses backslash. I think Java is clever (if that can be said about Java) enough to distinguish between this, but you should check out what the correct way to address files in Java is. I really don't know myself, since I haven't touched Java in nearly ten years.

The file system on Unix systems is case sensitive too, so keep in mind that "DIYLC" is NOT the same directory/file as "diylc". Maybe there's something there? I'm having a hard time figuring out how you make your calls without the source, so this is all I can figure out for the moment. Ktrace/strace isn't that useful with Java.

bancika

scaesic

A minor tweak and isnt really worth bothering about right now, but in the final version can you make the resistors default to being either vertical or horizontal? its very rare that a resistor would be placed diagonally, also, can you default resistors to be 5 hole spacings lead to lead, and capacitors seem to fit easy with 3 holes spacing lead to lead? Thats generally what i find is a good fit, so it makes sense to default to "reasonable" size and shape, even if it doesnt work for every component.

I really like the idea of a ruler too.

I dont want to seem rude, i think you're doing some amazing work for the community.