DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah-Baley

Hi guys, I installed java again, in another way.
Now is better, I can execute the file run.sh draggin it in the terminal, so the software can be open.
Almost done. Now I have to find out how I can execute run.sh with a double click.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

bluebunny

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on July 10, 2020, 10:23:59 AM
Now I have to find out how I can execute run.sh with a double click.

That is in the hands of your file manager.  Which one are you running?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Elijah-Baley

I solved even that. Change preferences in the file manager.
Done!

Thanks to everybody, guys! :)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

roseblood11

One nice addition would be the japanese lever switches for strat and tele.

snarblinge

Mac user here, both the macbook air (2011, not sure which os but a few back) and imac 27" 2019 runing catalina 10.15.6, running fine, and opening my old files.

I do get an error "could not open file  -psn_0_3031780. check the log for details" but all seems ok.
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

denden

I've been looking through the posts and the user manual, but have not found a method for adding boards ... If there is a way to do this can someone point me to the documentation?

Thx,Denis.

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

denden

Thanks GGBB. Now that you say it, makes sense. But having to code them means it is not going to happen. Too many other projects to finish, too many other things to learn before I learn Java ...

Denis.

GGBB

Quote from: denden on October 12, 2020, 11:51:26 AM
Thanks GGBB. Now that you say it, makes sense. But having to code them means it is not going to happen. Too many other projects to finish, too many other things to learn before I learn Java ...

Denis.

I'm afraid I don't understand - no coding necessary.

• SUPPORTER

denden

Form the "adding a component tutorial" ...

"Decent knowledge of Java language, in specific generics, annotations and Graphics2D. Unlike the previous version, you actually need to write Java code to make the component look and behave the way you want it. This makes it harder for non-programmers to make their own components or customize existing ones, but it allows greater flexibility and performance."

I've got a number of BPS boards I'd like to use with DIYLC, but that is going to have to wait now.

11-90-an

you can customize components by double-clicking them, to change their color, size, hole space, etc.

is this a BPS board?

You *can* probably make your own BPS board by just using the "copper traces" on a blank board... you can change the size of the traces, and change their color as to not look confusing... also, you can group all those traces as one with the board...

if that all made sense... :icon_redface:

flip flop flip flop flip

GGBB

Quote from: denden on October 13, 2020, 12:12:24 PM
Form the "adding a component tutorial" ...

"Decent knowledge of Java language, in specific generics, annotations and Graphics2D. Unlike the previous version, you actually need to write Java code to make the component look and behave the way you want it. This makes it harder for non-programmers to make their own components or customize existing ones, but it allows greater flexibility and performance."

That's from the "Component API" documentation not the "adding a component tutorial."

API stands for "application programming interface." That document is about creating custom components to add to DIYLC's toolbox.

The "adding a component tutorial" is part of the user manual in the link I provided before which is about adding components from the toolkit to your project. https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator/blob/wiki/Manual.md

Your original question was very general and, based on your responses, either the obvious interpretation of it was incorrect, or you've become very confused about how to use DIYLC because you somehow mistook the component API documentation for the actual user manual/tutorial.

To use DIYLC you don't need to know anything about programming or Java other than to install it.
  • SUPPORTER

denden

No I think I followed the 'paths' correctly ... DIYLC has a limited number of boards to use, for my current project I'd like to use this one
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/58/BPS-DAT-(SB1660)-Datasheet-1282937.pdf

So I would need to create a 'new' component and then add it to LC ... for that I would need to code it.

GGBB

As 11-90-an alluded - you can easily replicate that in a few minutes with a blank board, pads, traces, and some copying and pasting.

• SUPPORTER

bluebunny

I built my own "tagboard" by grouping together a bunch of existing items.  Took minutes and it's reusable.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

denden

Thanks guys, I'll go have a look at that and see what I can come up with.

akm

I'm trying out DIY Layout Creator, looks great, works on Linux easily, thanks!

I see the comment that it does "export PCB trace mask" here https://bancika.github.io/diy-layout-creator/

Does this include converting from schematic to traces, or is that a manual process?

GGBB

Quote from: akm on November 10, 2020, 07:49:12 PM
I'm trying out DIY Layout Creator, looks great, works on Linux easily, thanks!

I see the comment that it does "export PCB trace mask" here https://bancika.github.io/diy-layout-creator/

Does this include converting from schematic to traces, or is that a manual process?

Unfortunately DIYLC is just a layout and diagram tool. It does not read or write schematics of any kind.
  • SUPPORTER

bancika

Quote from: GGBB on November 11, 2020, 05:48:16 PM
Unfortunately DIYLC is just a layout and diagram tool. It does not read or write schematics of any kind.

That's not *entirely* true, although DIYLC is primarily a drawing tool. In the more recent versions it knows how to generate a SPICE netlist file and analyze guitar wiring diagrams.
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

bancika

Released a ton of updates in the last month or so, feel free to check out the latest version.

https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator/releases

Here's the change set

v4.13.0 (released on 2020-12-20)    
› [New Feature] Added 'Check Trace Proximity' functionality under File -> Analyze menu that checks if there are any conductive surfaces (e.g. traces or pads) that are too close to each other    
› [New Feature] 'Tactile Micro-Switch' component added    
› [New Feature] Added 'Font Size Override' property to most components that display text to allow control over font size    
› [New Feature] Added 'Neutrik Jack' component based on Neutrik NMJx series. Mono/Stereo and PCB/Panel mount options are available    
› [New Feature] Fix for 'Label' editor dialog slowness and freezing on some machines. Analyze fonts in the background to identify ones that are causing slowness when editing 'Label' components and skip font preview for them to optimize performance    
› [Improvement] Improved performance of the application when using dashed and dotted style for 'Hookup Wire' component    
› [Improvement] Technical change: replace mechanism for dynamic JAR loading to ensure compatibility with Java 11 and newer

v4.12.0 (released on 2020-12-13)    
› [New Feature] Added a button in the action toolbar to toggle between snap modes (none, grid, component)    
› [New Feature] Added pinch zooming functionality for compatible devices (tested on Mac and Win laptops)    
› [Improvement] macOS: added meta +/- keyboard shortcuts for zooming    
› [Improvement] macOS: two finger click shows the popup menu without deselecting a selected component    
› [Improvement] Fixed issues when creating leaded components using drag and drop with 'Snap to Grid' option switched on using a metric grid spacing (e.g. 1mm)    
› [Improvement] Do not allow for components like traces, jumpers and wires to be reduced to nothing by dragging connected components    
› [Improvement] In cases when there's already a component in the selection that is reduced to nothing, allow moving the selection to avoid getting stuck    
› [Improvement] Moving a rigid component (e.g. tube/transistor symbol) which is not snapped to grid makes it snap back to the grid when 'Snap to Grid' option is switched on    
› [Improvement] Apply context menu rotation and mirroring to Trimmer Potentiometer components    
› [Improvement] Apply context menu rotation and mirroring to SMD Capacitor and Resistor components    
› [Improvement] Apply context menu rotation and mirroring to Tag Strip components    
› [Improvement] Apply context menu rotation to Breadboard and P-0+o (Proto) Board components    
› [Improvement] When rotating Vero and Tri-Pad boards, change the orientation of strips to match the rotation angle    
› [Improvement] Rotating and mirroring boards that display coordinates also changes coordinate origin    
› [Bug Fix] Dragging components from the component tree to the canvas stops working once the component type is selected in the tree    
› [Bug Fix] macOS: fixed language selection that does not work

v4.11.0 (released on 2020-12-06)    
› [New Feature] Windows: bundle Java JRE with the installation to avoid Java version issues    
› [New Feature] macOS: added quick action toolbar that was already available for other platforms    
› [New Feature] Added ability to rotate images    
› [Bug Fix] Project cloud -> replace project had no effect

v4.10.0 (released on 2020-11-19)    
› [New Feature] macOS: bundle JRE8 with the application to avoid JRE/JDK installation issues    
› [Improvement] Store configuration using the same XML format used for serializing DIY files    
› [Improvement] macOS: added meta +/- keyboard shortcuts for zooming    
› [Bug Fix] macOS Sierra: the app starts and immediately stops on some older mac systems    
› [Bug Fix] Favorites on building blocks show up as "null"
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here