DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

Hi,
I'm thinking about making piece of software for speeding up drawing perfboard and vero layouts. It would have library with components and user would drag&drop them over board. Also, it would have it's own format and ability to save to gif/jpg.
And of course, it would be freeware :)
Would this be useful, should I waste my time on this?
Thanks,
Branislav
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

hairyandy

I for one think that it would be really helpful and I would really appreciate it.  I still haven't gotten the vero layout thing down yet.  Please let us all know if you do this...

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

psiico

I'd use it!  That sure bet the heck out of how I do it now with paper and a lot of erasing!

gaussmarkov

before you do this programming, check out eagle and expresspcb.  i have been doing my perfboard layouts in eagle and recently made a site to make using eagle easier for beginners.  even if you decide to make your own program, working with eagle will give you lots of good ideas for what you want your program to do.

best wishes, gm

RaceDriver205

Yeah, that actually sounds like a pretty damn good idea, bancika!
It shouldnt be too hard either.
I personally rarely ever use perf/vero, but many other people seem to like it. I recon you should go for it.

Unbeliever

I can't remember where now, but I'm sure I've seen something that implements at least some of this functionality. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but rather google around, see if there is anything and maybe get some ideas on how to make your version better.

rockgardenlove

Would be nice...one thing though!

Make it so you can check it against a shematic...just make it so you can make sure all the connections go to the right places...that would be so great.

RaceDriver205

Yeah I think linking it with a schematic diagram makes it a big project im afraid.  :-[

aron

I'd like one for vero layouts for sure. I'd write one as well, but I have no time! darn it!

Go for it!

Coriolis

Go ahead with it, I say.
My personal needs for a program like that would basically just be a virtual "pen and paper".
I never do perf, but I like veroboard a lot, and it would be great to have a simple way to drag and drop components onto a piece of board,
and maybe have them snap to "grid" (holes in the board). One thing though; the shapes and packages of components that people
can get in their respective locations around the world, vary so much, that building a "complete" library is probably not realistic.
But I guess having a jumper-wire  function (like drawing a line in Express PCB, Autocad or whatever)  could solve those problems for most people.

C
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

bancika

Well, I guess I'll do it when I catch some time.
Snap to grid is a must, it would be stupid othewise.
Checking with schematic would make things much complicated. I mean, it is possible, but it would need completely new approach. Board would be represented with mathematical graph, etc etc. I'm not saying I won't do it at all, but at first time I thing that drawing will be enough.
I'll get back when I finish alpha version.
Regards,
Branislav

JimRayden

Hmm, what's the point of an extensive library. One idea would just be clicking at one hole and drag to another, and it creates a component between those holes, no matter the distance or direction. One could choose between different sizes of components and if the pins are pointing downwards or sidewards.

I bet the drag-a-component thing wouldn't be too hard to implement. What programming language are you using?

----------
Jimbo

bioroids

I think it's an interesting program to do.

You can model it after those "Naval Battle" games (i'm sure you can find code for that somewhere) for example this (kinda ugly) http://www.tqm.com.uy/juegos/battleship/battleship.htm

The components would take the place of the different kind of ships...

I think that linking to a schematic would be the most dificult part, but the most interesting too. Maybe you can just make it compatible with some netlist generated with other schem drawing programs, so you don't have to code the schematic editor...

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

markm

Quote from: gaussmarkov on May 01, 2006, 08:56:14 PM
before you do this programming, check out eagle and expresspcb.  i have been doing my perfboard layouts in eagle and recently made a site to make using eagle easier for beginners.  even if you decide to make your own program, working with eagle will give you lots of good ideas for what you want your program to do.

best wishes, gm

I downloaded this software from your site this weekend and was playing around with it a bit.
I'm having a problem with your library though.....I can't seem to incorporate it into the program.
However, I can see how nice this program could work if I could get the hang of it ???

gaussmarkov

Quote from: markm on May 02, 2006, 01:29:50 PM
Quote from: gaussmarkov on May 01, 2006, 08:56:14 PM

best wishes, gm

I downloaded this software from your site this weekend and was playing around with it a bit.
I'm having a problem with your library though.....I can't seem to incorporate it into the program.
However, I can see how nice this program could work if I could get the hang of it ???

cool.  i'd like to figure out what the problem is.  the program is very powerful and has a reputation for a steep learning curve.   :icon_confused:  so i'm trying to make it easier with the instructions on that site.  i think it's worth the effort, for us both, but not everyone will agree with that.

did you follow the instructions for installing and using the libraries?  they are located at

also, you can click on the "adding libraries" menu button when you are in the eagle section of the site.  if you tried this, i'd like to know where things went wrong for you.  if not, i hope you will check it out.

if you are willing to run the issue down, which would be great, send me a pm so that we do not hijack this thread.  :icon_biggrin:  i'm willing to clarify, improve, ... based on whatever feedback i can get.  and i have some more stuff in the pipeline, to lead the user through more steps.

--gm

bancika

I'm using Delphi 7.
Still not sure about component placement. Idea of clicking on two holes isn't bad. Of couse, they would have to be in the same row/column. But that rule can't be applied to IC's and transistors, so I'd have to make double work. I think it's better that way...

JimRayden

Quote from: bancika on May 02, 2006, 04:51:24 PM
they would have to be in the same row/column

Says who? ;) That would be the best part of hole-to-hole component placing. One can place components diagonally for even more compact layout. It sure won't look as neat as a 90-degree-layout but it would sure help making things more compact. And your program more flexible.

Quote from: bancika on May 02, 2006, 04:51:24 PM
But that rule can't be applied to IC's and transistors, so I'd have to make double work. I think it's better that way...

Yes, the semiconductors would have to be drag-and-drop. I guess that would be much easier to implement than the component placement.

Take the time to build a good, flexible and easy-to-use program, do not be hasty. I can help you out with graphical side of things if you need any help.

------------
Jimbo

bancika

Yeah, it can be handy to make *any* angle available BUT...then I have to
a) pre-draw component images in any angle available (about 20 angles would be enough) which is silly
b) make routine that will rotate component image at any given angle, which isn't that hard
Both options have same problem: rotated image looks bad if it isn't anti-aliased, which makes things additionally complicated.
Do you have any other idea how to make rotated components?

RaceDriver205

QuoteYes, the semiconductors would have to be drag-and-drop. I guess that would be much easier to implement than the component placement.
Well, you could have it so you click all the holes (i.e 8 holes for a TL072), and then press enter and it makes a box around to holes to resemeble an IC? That way you can do transistors and transformers etc without the need for libraries.
A tip: make it as simple as possible - complex things have a habit of not getting done!

JimRayden

Quote from: bancika on May 02, 2006, 05:47:57 PM
Yeah, it can be handy to make *any* angle available BUT...then I have to
a) pre-draw component images in any angle available (about 20 angles would be enough) which is silly
b) make routine that will rotate component image at any given angle, which isn't that hard
Both options have same problem: rotated image looks bad if it isn't anti-aliased, which makes things additionally complicated.
Do you have any other idea how to make rotated components?

'b' was what I was thinking of. Diagonal components aren't as widely used anyway, so you can leave it un-anti-aliased and i guess it'll be okay. It will look a tad jaggedy but I guess it wouldn't bother anyone.

----------
Jimbo