DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

Well, I was thinking about entering schematic manually. That's hard enough. Importing from existing image file would be so hard that it's almost imposible. You need to recognize all letters, components and connections. WAAAAY too much work.

It's not much likely to make Mac port, because:
a) I don't have Mac
b) there isn't delphi compiler for mac

Thanks hairyandy :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

bancika

Here's test version. As far as I'm concerned jumper thing is finished. Try it and tell me if you have some suggestions. For all other components there will be the same "engine", but this one had to be done separate.
Link (280KB)

Also, don't try Export and  Print buttons, as well as components other than jumper. It's not done yet

JimRayden

I love the looks of the prog. Especially the parts list.

One thing though: after you've placed a component, it should stay in that mode, I don't have the time to click the same button after every component I place. :D

---------
Jimbo

bancika

I guess you're right. I changed design. Now it looks much cooler (in my eyes)  :icon_cool:

bancika

I finally finished ultra-giga-mega-hi-tech rotation engine  :icon_lol:. I've tested it with resistors, but it will work with caps, diodes and maybe something more. New screenshot http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/bancika/software3.gif
Tell me what you think

rockgardenlove

Looks nice!  I'm going to go load it up on my PC in a second...damn I want a Mac port!

Btw, you're been added to our links pages, cool site...your link is on http://stompboxmods.com/links.php
We'd appreciate a link back :)

Gilles C

You're on the right track.

I agree that it just stay in the same mode until we change it to a new one. That was my only concern, as everything else works well.

I like being able to change the name to J5 after entering J1 and J2 for example and seing the program give J3 for the next one. You did well there.

I can't wait to see it completed... I know. It takes time. But you're fast.

Thanks for the work.

Gilles

hairyandy

Bancika,

That's just completely awesome!  I can't wait to start making layouts!!!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

rockgardenlove

Tried it out, very nice :)
Good work. 

A PCB designer might be nice too while you're at it...don't think it would incorporate much extra work either.  It would be excellent to be able to design the PCB with components drawn out, and then print it out for transfer to photo paper, etc.

bancika

rockgardenlove, I've just put your link on my site. Thanks.
//
Here's last shot
I already changed "mode thing", now it stays until changed. Now I'll make renaming components possible.
Thanks everybody for involvement. I'll make better piece of software if I hear more comments from users.
Also, note component orientation (important for diodes, electros...). Was little tricky to do, but hey I'm a math student :)

RaceDriver205

Dude, good work. You put that together pretty quick.
Dont you have to be able to cut tracks on a strip-board?
I.e ICs?

bancika

Don't you see a trace cut?  :icon_rolleyes:
It's on a:2 hole

JimRayden

Hmm I don't think I notice a "Delete" function there...

[edit] Just noticed it could be done in the parts list. Which is good.[edit]

It would be cool to assign values to components too. Propably not on the layout, the values sould be shown in the parts list.

[edit2] Here's some more ideas. A "move" button would be cool. Horizontally or vertically with arrow buttons in either move mode or when the component is selected in the list.

And a Component List Exporter is a must-have. It would take all the caps and list them under a "Caps:" column (with values, of course), same with resistors and other components.[edit2]

----------
Jimbo

bancika

You can delete components with "del" button on keyboard. I'll add option in component list.
Also, I plan to put component values, don't worry :)
I will put values in list and also when image is rendered they will be printed below layout
Cheers

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

hairyandy

I agree with Peter, this is looking amazing!  ;D ;D ;D

I'll try it on VPC7 to see if we Mac folks can use it.  I'll let you know of my progress...
Andy Harrison

bancika

I just added "thingy" with components values, now there are two rows in component list (now called Explorer, thanks Jim :)) and I'll make it ask user after saving project if he'd like to upload it to layout gallery. I plan to put one on my site.
I'll post shot when I do few more things, but I have to study now, so it will be later this evening.
Cheers

hairyandy

I just loaded the program up under Windows 98SE in VPC6 on my G4 Powerbook and it works like a champ!  Is there a version of it with all components working yet?  I can't wait to start using this!  Bancika, you ARE the man... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Andy Harrison

bancika

Nope, only resistors, caps, diodes, jumpers and cuts. I'll make electrolytes today, since they will be drawn in the sam manner as others.
Great to hear that it works on mac :)

Update: here's new shot. Important changes are electros and new Explorer

JimRayden

Lookin' great!

I'll get those icons ready as soon as possible. They'll be on your desk first thing tomorrow morning. Do you fancy a start-up sceen too, perhaps? E-mail me the text for it, I'll do the visual part.

------------
Jimbo