DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choklitlove

Quote from: bancika on June 03, 2006, 08:41:44 AM
Yeah, that parent-child thing needs little fine tuning. I'll upload new release this evening.
choklitlove: to move component select it in Explorer (right side of window) and use buttons with cursor keys (below that) to move it. For deletion, just select component and hit delete on keyboard or select->right click->delete. Hope it helps
cool.  i like the arrow thing, but maybe some click and drag action is in the future?  it's a really nice program though!  also, maybe a rotate button next to the arrows.  anyway, please let us know when that next upload comes.  thanks!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

rockgardenlove

Nice, post it up as soon as you finish the next build! 

bancika

Good news: I'm uploading new version. Missing LEDs from list is fixed; Parent-child thingie is fixed, now child pads move along parent component. I've enabled placing components wherever on "paper", not only on board. This can help with placing  outside connections how you want them.
Bad news: I had to redo some routines with displaying Text, so now when you open files created with older version all text components are invisible (actually they are visible, just very far from display area), so you'll have to replace them to old locations.
Andy and Gilles, please update your layouts and resend them for gallery. I would do it, but I'm really short with time. Sorry for this, but it had to be done. I'm pretty sure that file format has reached final shape and all future versions will be compatible with previous.
Link is: http://storm-software.co.yu/diy/layouts/diy_layout.exe
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

choklitlove

cool.  seems like the whole "parent" thing with the pads works well.

i have a new suggestion that would be nice.  the ability to select/move/delete multiple things.  anyway, i love the program!

Gilles C

About selecting/deleting many components at the same time, you can already do that. You select the first component of the list that you want to select, and you select the last one while holding the shift key. It will select everything between the first and the last items selected. --- Added: Not true anymore. See below.

That's what I do when a layout is finished to save a second version of the layout with only the cut tracks and the jumpers on it. It makes it easier to locate the tracks to cut and tp add thejumpers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I had a strange problem after submiting the layout to your site Bancika. When I try to exit the program, it gives me an error, as you can see in the picture. It opens a window signaling the error, and I can't close that window, or exit the program anymore.???

And it seems to do that only after submiting a layout.

But the rest of the program works better than before.

Added: I kept working with the program again this evening, and I realised that we can't select many components at the same time anymore  :( I will miss that option...

Gilles

choklitlove

i tried the shift thing before i posted.  maybe the version i tried it on was the latest.  i can't remember... but i know that it didn't work.

bancika

I'll put multi-select back soon. As for strange "No active document" bug, I'll try to fix it but so far couldn't replicate it... :icon_rolleyes:

rockgardenlove

Any hope of that box layouter actually being made?  I'm planning to start a rather large project(for me at least) with a bunch of all etched PCBs, PCB mounted jacks, etc...
I box layout thing would be really nice.

Also, it might be nice to have some sort of measurement tool for the PCB drawer, my PCB jacks don't have the normal size legs.  Just so you could measure out what's on the screen in millimeters :)

bancika

Interesting, but I was also thinking about some measurement tool yesterday...as for box layout, it will be done, but can't promise when. I'm stuck with 7 more exams for this month, plus I might start working on some commercial project these days (gotta make a living somehow)...
Btw, multi-select is back. Now you can delete and move more than one component at the same time

rockgardenlove

Nice...
I bought a Windows emulator for my Mac, just so I could use this :)
I'm installing Win98 right now(just because it doesn't have any of that copy protection stuff...)
Have you added undo and redo yet?  IMO those would be two VERY useful additions...
Also, last time I used it, you couldnt put jumpers over/under other components...which is a problem if you want to indicate offboard wiring.

bancika

Hmm...new you can add jumper between any two nodes in a grid, not only on holes. It is always drawn under components, but components are semi-transparent so you can see what's below. There is undo, but not redo.

choklitlove

Quote from: bancika on June 04, 2006, 06:25:34 AM
Btw, multi-select is back. Now you can delete and move more than one component at the same time
do you mean it is in the next build?

radio

Hi

I rarely build effects,so I really got positivly surprized by the simplicity of your tool!!

Just want to say thanks for the time you put in to set this up  :)

Greetings Radio aka JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

bancika

Yeah, it's already done. When I upload it I'll let you know.
radio: thanx  :icon_cool:

choklitlove

RLBJR65

Bancika, that is a really great program you have written! Thank you very much!
I am going to try it out on my next layout. Nice web site BTW.

Thanks again.
Richard

Richard Boop

Gilles C

The "no active document" is strange indeed.

I will check it with another PC when I send you another layout.

The problem is that I can't test it unless I send you a layout... I can always stop sending you layouts to stop the bug from happening  :icon_mrgreen: Na, I'll see if it's caused ny another program on my system...

Gilles

bancika

We'll fix it somehow. I'm also thinking about alternate layout submission concept...
Thanks Richard.
Btw, we've reached 3500 lines of code and about 130000 typed letters :)

Gilles C

Indeed, nice piece of work. I can also tell you, again.

Many years ago, I was programming in C as a hobby. So I know how much it can be. The only programming I do these days is in ASM for uControllers and PICs.

But you're fast. A lot faster than me...

Btw, a little suggestion for the program. When we do a replace, it always opens the Text tree instead of staying in the same component tree we did a replace. Would it be possible to change it so that it stays in the same component tree we're working on (replacing). It would be easier and less of a pain when we are replacing many ressistors for example.

I just changed the size of a stripboard from 24 to 31 and moved everything on the layout. So I had to reopen the trees I was replacing from many times...

Thanks,

Gilles

bancika

Good point. My goal was to open last used tree, just I wan't thinking about replacing components. Routine opens tree with newest component, so when you update existing component it goes back to newest component again. I'll change that!