DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Bancika...

first...REALLY a cool program...thank you for the time and effort you've devoted to it...next time i get a little money in my paypal account I'll be sure to donate a few $$$ to the cause :)

a couple of thoughts....

1) even though its pretty simple, a short "instructions" guide would probably be helpful, especially to those who haven't seen this thread (future users)...a few paragraphs I'm sure would be more than enough. ( maybe you've already done this and I'm just missing it...)

2) as a guy who's done tons of layouts, i find that occasionally I'll have to move a part long after i originally placed it on the layout. the "undo" feature on your program won't allow for this...am i missing a "delete" command for the parts ?

3) it would be nice to be able to start with a larger board than needed and be able to "delete" rows from the top, bottom, or either side later. that way you could start the layout in the center of the board, complete it, and then reduce the board to the appropriate size. currently you can only remove rows from the bottom and right side.

4) the text feature...it would be nice to be able to add the necessary text, and then be able to click and drag it to the appropriate spot...you may already be able to do this, and I'm just missing the "how to"  ?  then again, the ability to click and drag text and components might be a lot more programming than is really necessary... (also, is there a way to control the "size" of the text...?  just wondering...)

anyway, thank you for the effort you've put into this...it goes way "above and beyond" what it necessary...

AC

Dragonfly

bancika

Hi Dragonfly!
Thanks  :icon_cool:
1) yeah, I was thinking about it. But that's 100% hardest part of the job for me. I have many apps on my software-related site www.storm-software.co.yu and I totally hate writing program description and manual. Not because I'm lazy, but because I don't know how :) Also, I spend all my energy on software features...have to hire someone, a secretary :)
2) yes, you can delete component by selecting it in Explorer (right side) and then press Del on keyboard, or select Delete from drop down meny (right click). In new version this is possible for multiple components.
3) you can change size and cut it on right side and bottom side. I'll think about elegant solution for deleting first row and first column. Basically, all I have to do is move all components for one hole up and reduce number of rows. I just don't know where to put that option :)
4) hm...I don't know how would I do that :icon_rolleyes:...You can still "drag" components with arrow buttons on the right.

Thanks for great layouts, I'm uploading them to the gallery  :icon_mrgreen:
Btw, I don't have PayPal account, they don't support my country (Serbia)  :icon_frown:
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Dragonfly

Quote from: bancika on June 04, 2006, 11:08:31 AM

1) yeah, I was thinking about it. But that's 100% hardest part of the job for me. I have many apps on my software-related site www.storm-software.co.yu and I totally hate writing program description and manual. Not because I'm lazy, but because I don't know how :) Also, I spend all my energy on software features...have to hire someone, a secretary :)

I'm sure one of us can come up with a "basic overview" manual.

2) yes, you can delete component by selecting it in Explorer (right side) and then press Del on keyboard, or select Delete from drop down meny (right click). In new version this is possible for multiple components.
A-HA !!!  see...one more thing for the manual !  works great !

3) you can change size and cut it on right side and bottom side. I'll think about elegant solution for deleting first row and first column. Basically, all I have to do is move all components for one hole up and reduce number of rows. I just don't know where to put that option :)
is there a way you could select the components on the right side and "group" them? that way you could just select them all, and move the layout as a group toward the top left corner of the board...then it'd be simple to delete the unnecessary rows.... (just an idea that might be easier to impliment)

4) hm...I don't know how would I do that :icon_rolleyes:...You can still "drag" components with arrow buttons on the right.

didnt realize how to drag till i saw this...thats another for the manual !

Btw, I don't have PayPal account, they don't support my country (Serbia)  :icon_frown:

well...if theres a charity you'd like us to donate to .... 

anyway,
   rock on,
   AC

markm

First of all,
My hats of to you bancika on a job Very Well Done!!
Being new to doing layouts I think this be quite a useful program.
All I've been doing with it is playing around with it a bit to get the hang of how it works but, I must say
I think I'll be putting it to good use soon!
Again, Thank you so much, it easy to see it was alot of effort for you.
Hey Dragonfly,
Do you have anything new coming up?????
I've built a bunch of your builds and I've been very impressed.
Love to see something new soon......hint, hint, hint......nudge nudge :icon_biggrin:
Thanks for your work too!!

Dragonfly

Quote from: markm on June 04, 2006, 12:05:15 PM
First of all,
My hats of to you bancika on a job Very Well Done!!
Being new to doing layouts I think this be quite a useful program.
All I've been doing with it is playing around with it a bit to get the hang of how it works but, I must say
I think I'll be putting it to good use soon!
Again, Thank you so much, it easy to see it was alot of effort for you.
Hey Dragonfly,
Do you have anything new coming up?????
I've built a bunch of your builds and I've been very impressed.
Love to see something new soon......hint, hint, hint......nudge nudge :icon_biggrin:
Thanks for your work too!!

BUNCH OF NEW STUFF COMING UP / ALREADY DONE !   I had some trouble loading pictures into my gallery, which with the help of Aron, i was finally able to solve. I just have to bring the disc i have the layouts stored on up here (i dont have internet access at my house) and download 'em !

Also, i'm working on some cool new tube based designs...still figuring those out !

thanks,
  AC

bancika

You can do multi select two ways:
1) select first component, hold shift and click on second component. All components between those two will be selected.
2) hold ctrl and click on each component you want to select
That's it :)
Only problem is, I did it today, so it's not updated yet. I'm waiting to fix few more things today before updating.
Thanks for layouts :)

Dragonfly

Quote from: bancika on June 04, 2006, 12:46:31 PM
You can do multi select two ways:
1) select first component, hold shift and click on second component. All components between those two will be selected.
2) hold ctrl and click on each component you want to select
That's it :)
Only problem is, I did it today, so it's not updated yet. I'm waiting to fix few more things today before updating.
Thanks for layouts :)

GREAT !  i just sent more layouts for ya !

hairyandy

Hey Dragonfly &/or Bancika,

I just downloaded and opened Dragonfly's Mosfet Boost & Sparkle Boost layouts from Bancika's website and the text was all scrunched and illegible.  I just thought I'd let you know in case it's a software thing between versions, as we all know that Dragonfly is the King Of All Vero and would NEVER submit a screwy layout like that...

;D
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Dragonfly

Quote from: hairyandy on June 04, 2006, 01:36:25 PM

I just downloaded and opened Dragonfly's Mosfet Boost & Sparkle Boost layouts from Bancika's website and the text was all scrunched and illegible.  I just thought I'd let you know in case it's a software thing between versions, as we all know that Dragonfly is the King Of All Vero and would NEVER submit a screwy layout like that...

;D

Torchy is, was, and always will be the king...I'm just trying to help a few people out :)

see ya in about a week andy !  much beer to be had, noise to be made ....

hairyandy

Quote from: Dragonfly on June 04, 2006, 01:45:33 PM
Quote from: hairyandy on June 04, 2006, 01:36:25 PM

;D

Torchy is, was, and always will be the king...I'm just trying to help a few people out :)

see ya in about a week andy !  much beer to be had, noise to be made ....

Yes, and you do, yes, yes and yes...
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Dragonfly

hmmm...i just tried opening files from the page and all i get is the "code" ...no image at all ....i tried using internet explorer AND mozilla, no luck ...must be missing something....

bancika

Hm..andy, did you try opening those layouts with new or old version? I'm opening it with new with no problem.
Dragonfly, try right click and "Save Target As..." in your browser. Because .DIY is only a text file default browser action is to open them instead of download.

Dragonfly

Quote from: bancika on June 04, 2006, 01:58:37 PM

Dragonfly, try right click and "Save Target As..." in your browser. Because .DIY is only a text file default browser action is to open them instead of download.

THAT WORKED ...THANKS !

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

bancika

Thanks Peter  :icon_cool:

well...if theres a charity you'd like us to donate to .... 

I'd be more than happy with a postcard and a resistor (or cap) :icon_wink:

Goin' back to study and I'll try to upload new release today. Damned 28.8K dialup :)

SuperGeo

VERY NICE program you're making!

I think It would be less confusing and cleaner if on the Explorer windows just appear the components you have used on the layout, not all components. So if I use 2 leds and a capacitor, it will appear just 2 groups - [Led] and [Capacitor].

EDIT: I'm having also an problem deleting an SIL chip.

Gilles C

The SIL deleting works with the other 2 kinds of layouts, but not with the pcb type. So it must be related to the traces.

Gilles

bancika

stumper1

I have skipped over this thread until today - thanks for re-naming it!!!  I am a software IDIOT and I was able to start moving around in it in about 5min. - GREAT WORK!

I did a perf layout for a SparkleBoost (thanks Dragonfly).  I ran into one issue.  Unlike strip-board -  components can come off of the top or bottom of the board - not just the sides.  Is there any way to create more space between the Title/Credits and the board and the parts list and the board to make room for offboard components/connections/text above and below the board?

Thanks again - this thing ROCKS!!
DericĀ®