DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

skiraly017

Just downloaded the program today with no problems. I looked at it quickly and it's great. Monkey simple and idiot (ie. "me") proof. One question...is there a way/what about adding something that would do the traces for etching? If it's already does, then I just haven't found it yet but it would be nice to build a layout, hit a button and have the trace ready to etch.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

markm

In the upper left column you'll see an icon for "print PNP".
That should do it for ya.

skiraly017

Quote from: markm on July 11, 2006, 12:32:23 PM
In the upper left column you'll see an icon for "print PNP".
That should do it for ya.

Thanks! That's what I get for not trying it thoroughly before asking questions.  :icon_redface:
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

skiraly017

I get the following error if I try to delete a component from a PCB layout -

Access violation at address 004FFBB6 in module 'DIYLayout.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

Any ideas?

markm

I've had this happen.
First, SAVE your project.
Shutdown the program and restart the program.
It should be fine after this.

zpyder

I haven't had a chance to download your software yet but will soon.  What I would really like to get my hands on would be a program that would allow you to actually simulate the circuit... i.e. plug a sine/square wave of your choice (or even a .wav?) into the input and hear what comes out the other end.  That would be a seriously badass tool for experimenting with new sounds.  Know of anything like that?  Have you considered incorporating that into your software?
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Gilles C

You can get free copies of Multisim in some places.

You could start with an evaluation copy for now

http://www.ni.com/academic/companion_products_ewb.htm

I use a student version of Multisim 7

Gilles

bancika

Quote from: zpyder on July 11, 2006, 03:05:53 PM
I haven't had a chance to download your software yet but will soon.  What I would really like to get my hands on would be a program that would allow you to actually simulate the circuit... i.e. plug a sine/square wave of your choice (or even a .wav?) into the input and hear what comes out the other end.  That would be a seriously badass tool for experimenting with new sounds.  Know of anything like that?  Have you considered incorporating that into your software?

that "single" feature takes team of people to be done properly and is out of reach for small DIY piece of software. I know it would be cool, but I don't have time nor knowledge to do it.
About bug, it'll be fixed, don't worry. Just expand category before right click. For instance, if you need to click on trace and trace category in explorer is collapse go and expand it. I know it's a PITA, but it'll be fixed
Cheers

zpyder

www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

bancika

How could I get rich with free software. I was considering that idea, but I would do something like that when I graduate. And I'd need some expirienced audio electronic guy and someone who knows DSP..so at least three man team.
Anyway, I'm uploading new version. That bug should be fixed. Also check "Reveal mode"...it helps see board when it's covered with components. Press SPACE to activate it and once more to deactivate it. Also, when you select component category (like resistors) in explorer and press some transformation button (rotate, move) all resistors will transform. Handy, isn't it :)
Cheers.

cakeworks

Hey, I have a suggestion... if it doesnt already exist...

There is a large space below the pcb image... perhaps a box included in the main form could fill it. It would have the option to put image files in it.
basically so that one may view computerised schematics as they are working on the pcb version.

do you follow?.
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

Gilles C

You can do the same just by loading a schematic in another program and run it at the same time than the Layout Creator.

Run them in 2 smaller windows so that you see both on your screen.

Gilles

cakeworks

Quote from: Gilles C on July 11, 2006, 08:11:02 PM
You can do the same just by loading a schematic in another program and run it at the same time than the Layout Creator.

Run them in 2 smaller windows so that you see both on your screen.

Gilles

I realise that but this would be much more convenient and less fiddly/
-Jack

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

stumper1

Bancika-

Just downloaded new version - works perfect so far!!!

I still can't "print PnP" but I know that's my computers problem - it works just fine on my wife's >:(

Thanks again for all the hard work!!!
DericĀ®

cakeworks

I have found a bug i think.

when i render an image, the "processing please wait" box does not go away, even long after the image is rendered.
-Jack

bancika

cakeworks

yep. I just went to the movies and came back and its still there. (it does go away when i reboot the program though)
-Jack

mydementia

RLBJR65

Love all the new changes Bancika :icon_biggrin: Render works ok for me.
WOW, Andrew has been a very busy fellow.

Richard
Richard Boop