DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Dragonfly

Quote from: zpyder on October 25, 2006, 03:13:59 PM
bancika-
why not make the "Traces" available on Perf boards as well as PCB?  It is possible to place traces on a perf project, but only by trickery.  The leads are so tiny looking and tend to blend into edges of other components like IC's.  MarkM's perf layout gallery (http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album77) includes many perf layouts using your software that utilize traces.  I think they look great.  He's done this (I'm assuming) by either creating the project as a PCB layout and then changing the board to perf when complete, or laying all the traces before placing components - as either method will allow you to get traqces onto a perf project.

cheers,
zpyder

Bancika...the way i "used" to covert PCB images to perfboard images simply was this...

1) select PCB on the "board properties" table.
2) do a completed PCB layout.
3) save PCB layout.
4) render PCB image.
5) render PNP.

that gives you the PCB layout...the way the program "used" to be, it was super easy to convert the PCB layout to a perfboard layout....

1) with the PCB layout still open (and saved), select "board properties".
2) select "perfboard"
3) this is where things have changed....you "used" to be able to select "save image as", and you could simply add the word "perf" after the circuit name...the new version of your software doesn't have "save image as"...it only has "save image", which automatically overwrites the original PCB version that was saved.
4) render image.

anyway,  miss the "save image as" option...it meant that there was no "re-drawing" of the layout involved....

other than that, fantastic sofware !

keep it up !

AC

RLBJR65

Save project as is still there it's just been moved from the quick tasks menu to the project menu on the bottom of the page.

RB
Richard Boop

bancika

Quote from: RLBJR65 on October 29, 2006, 04:19:23 PM
Save project as is still there it's just been moved from the quick tasks menu to the project menu on the bottom of the page.

RB

yep :)
I just moved options from left menu to new popup menu at the bottom to leave space for growing list of components. In PCB mode (which has more components) all item menus couldn't fit (when using 1024x768 resolution) so user must scroll. I hate that so I made new menu :)
Cheers

ubersam

Great piece of app(lication)! I used DIY Layout Creator to design my first pcb. The board is for my 2nd DIY project.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/ubersam/SanctusMicaelis/sanctusmicaelis_render.jpg

I made a couple of observations: 1) I cannot get the app. to print to Adobe PDF. 2) When rendering the PnP, it comes out twice as big as it should be. 3) I cannot get the app to print to one particular USB printer (HP 1020), but it will print to other printers. 4) On my W2K machines, I cannot render image or PnP in jpg, the only option I have is gif. (jpg and bmp are only available on my XP machine).

It may just be an issue with my setup, other than that, glad I came accross this program. Thanks-

bancika

Thanks!

first, your layout looks great..please submit it to gallery  :icon_redface:

1) As for PDF, no wonder you can't export, I didn't make that function yet. The only way is to use some software printer like Acrobat that will create PDF.
2) it depends on program you open it with, I was using photoshop for testing and it was ok
3) don't know :)
4) I really can't see how you managed to render PnP to anything but GIF because that's the only format available. BMP, JPG and GIF are available only when you export whole layout. Here's why: jpg adds "noise" to picture, so it wouldn't be nice to have them printed on PnP. On the other hand, bmp takes too much space. GIF is the best choice, knowing that only black and white colors are present

Best regards!

scaesic

Another request

The ability to add offboard like jacks so they are floating around the board, without attaching them to a hole on the board.

It'd also be nice to be able to move components once you have them placed instead of having to delete them and replace it.

bancika

1) Who's forcing you to attach offboard component with anything?
2) This is added at least three months ago, if you can't see move buttons read the manual. Most guys start complaining and asking without even trying to look better at window or read manual.  :icon_confused:

Peter Snowberg

Fantastic work! 8) 8) 8)

Your software is very impressive and just keeps getting better!
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

bancika

zpyder

Quote from: scaesic on October 31, 2006, 10:37:41 AM
The ability to add offboard like jacks so they are floating around the board, without attaching them to a hole on the board.

You already can do this... just try.  Make sure you have the newest version.

bancika-
Is t here a ay to select more than one component at a time (for moving) without using the components list at right?  As in, is there a way to click each component ON THE BOARD one at a time that I want to select, or select a region?

cheers,
zyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

bancika

zpyder, multi select is also added some time ago.
1st way: hold ctrl and right click on components on board
2nd way: hold ctrl and left click on components in explorer
region select is not yet supported.
again, it all says in the manual IIRC :icon_rolleyes:\
cheers

ubersam

Quote from: bancika on October 30, 2006, 05:17:26 PM
first, your layout looks great..please submit it to gallery  :icon_redface:
Thanks.. I will submit it once I figure out how to describe it...

...2) it depends on program you open it with, I was using photoshop for testing and it was ok
Previewed the renderings in MS Paint and IE. I really should cough up the dough for a cool graphics app.

4) I really can't see how you managed to render PnP to anything but GIF because that's the only format available. BMP, JPG and GIF are available only when you export whole layout...
My mistake, I rendered the PnP on the W2K machine and when I did not see the JPG or BMP options; I went to the XP machine and rendered the layout instead of the PnP. In the process, I confused myself.. :icon_redface: Anyway, all is good. Thanks again!

zpyder

bancika-

thanks man... I figured it'd be already supported somehow.  Nice'n'easy, too.

thanks
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

bancika

By the way, it's been a while since someone recommended feature/component. C'mon guys  :icon_mrgreen:

zpyder

Quote from: bancika on October 31, 2006, 05:05:00 PM
By the way, it's been a while since someone recommended feature/component. C'mon guys  :icon_mrgreen:

Allow placements of transformers at diagonal angles.  I know this may be difficult to do.....

zpyder

bancika

Well, I don't know how useful it would be. I mean, there are only few stompboxes that use transformers and all of them use them horizontaly. It would be a waste of time

RLBJR65

Quote from: bancika on October 31, 2006, 05:05:00 PM

Really not much left that you could add :icon_biggrin:
But since you asked for it :icon_wink:... how about wah inductors?

Richard
Richard Boop

bancika

I've never seen and inductor live. Can you give me more info, pin number and spacing, ect