DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyrop

Quote from: alfafalfa on December 22, 2006, 05:13:31 AM
Hi Bancika,

Worked with it for the first time to make a pcb. It's a terrific tool you built, this make designing so much easier !!

Thanks for sharing this with us.
I have one suggestion , don't know if it's actually in there but I would like the possibility to adjust solderpads and traces in width. I would like especially bigger solderpads to solder connectors or potmeters
the larger copper area would give a more reliable connection. If you unsolder parts the trace often comes off if are not very careful.

Best wishes, Alf

Hi Alf, those options are there allready.
When you make a new pad or trace the new component dialog box comes up.
In this box you have the option to change the component value, for pads the default value is "15" and "5" for traces.
These values will stay at the changed values for following new pads and traces.
This is really only an issue when creating a new component (ie transistor) the pads stay at the changed value.
To overcome this you need to place a new pad and change the value to the required size then delete it then place the new component.
Hope that makes sense!!

pyrop ;D

alfafalfa

Thanks Pyrop,

I got it , didn't know it was in there it works like a dream.
Silly of me to think people wouldn't have thought of it before ! :icon_redface:

Alf

pyrop

Quote from: alfafalfa on December 22, 2006, 06:03:54 AM
Thanks Pyrop,

Alf
NO worries,

I usually use the default "15" for component pads & "18 - 20" for wiring pads,
and I use "8" for the majority of traces, "6" for diagonals going close to pads and "12" for ground traces.

pyrop ;D

Ronsonic

Help please. I'm having a devil of a time producing an image of a pcb and getting it the right size.

When I "render PnP" I get something that is way too large. The gif image is yet larger than the PCB and is an irregular shape making it impossible to just resize it according to any calculation. You can't just punch the "keep ratio" button on whatever I'm resizing it with because the gif file doesn't have the same proportions as the PCB. So, the process is one of resize, print, measure, resize, print, measure, then start on the other plane resize, print, measure rinse and repeat.

Things that would help:
The program output correctly sized PCBs.
The gif file be some fixed dimension larger than the PCB on both planes, say .1" each way.
The gif have no border larger than the PCB.

Or maybe I am just missing something really dumb and obvious. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

bancika

try to open/print output file with any more advanced program then MS paint, I don't have problems with photoshop, but people reported it's working OK with free GIMP also IIRC
Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Ronsonic

Okay, so what could I be missing?

I'm not using MS Paint and have tried working with this using several programs. The problem is not that the any of the programs that I'm opening the gif with are doing anything bad to it. The problem is that the resulting gif has a border that is inconvenient until I crop it out. and it just isn't the correct size in the first place. It's something over twice the size it should be.

Is it normal to need to resize the result from "render PnP?"
When I "Print PnP" I get an image that is sized correctly.

Thanks
Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

pyrop

I change the print settings and print them at 36%.
Works perfectly for me!!
I use Paint Shop Pro 7 by the way

pyrop ;D

rockgardenlove

Btw, does this program run *really* slowly for anybody else?  When I use it there's a second or so delay from when I click something and when something actually happens.

bancika

Yeah, I don't know which feature I added lately made it work that slow, but it is :icon_sad:
I still didn't catch some time to work on it, been very busy lately.
My plan is to completely rewrite drawing routines, but it takes a lot of time "at once", I hope it will be soon enough
Cheers

JimRayden

Ooh, cool to see new features, haven't downloaded an update in a while.

Is it just me or are the tube socket pads actually very awkwardly placed? Just don't line up in a circle.

---------
Jimbo

bancika

that's because every connection must be aligned to grid, I placed them in grid rather than circle..

Izzy

I have one question, how does this software work with making PCB?

I mean the resistor and capacitor gaps are bigger than a real world resistors and caps. So when we render the Image I think its going to give the same gap size, right?
So PCB will have same big gaps.
Doesnot that mean there will be some open resistor and capacitor leads?

Or is there other way?

Can you show my any PCB's mad from this software?

pyrop

Quote from: Izzy on January 19, 2007, 10:09:14 PM
I have one question, how does this software work with making PCB?

I mean the resistor and capacitor gaps are bigger than a real world resistors and caps. So when we render the Image I think its going to give the same gap size, right?
So PCB will have same big gaps.
Doesnot that mean there will be some open resistor and capacitor leads?

Or is there other way?

Can you show my any PCB's mad from this software?
Here is one

and another

From memory I think I printed them at 36% to get the right resolution.

Std 1/4watt resistors laying flat are 4 holes long i.e. have 2 holes left in between the resistor leads.
Most caps (not electros) are 3 holes long except the bigger mylars which are 4 holes (0.1uF & up).

pyrop ;D

pyrop

Top view of 2nd board

Top view of a Blackfire board

PCB for Blackfire

Layout for Blackfire

pyrop ;D

JimRayden

Changing the size of the solder pad of a component. When the program listed the automatically created solder pads, I could change their value, now I can't seem to be able to.

---------
Jimbo

JimRayden

Looks like it's only the tube socket that has pads attached to it. Other components do create new editable pads.

[EDIT] I don't know if it's been addressed but it seems like traces don't turn red when selected.

---------
Jimbo

Izzy

I think you are usign those big resistors.
I bought this $14.99 resistor pack from radio shack. They are kinda small.

pyrop

Quote from: Izzy on January 20, 2007, 10:45:55 PM
I think you are usign those big resistors.
I bought this $14.99 resistor pack from radio shack. They are kinda small.
No, I used standard 1/4watt resistors.
You probably can get smaller 1/4watt resistors but if you have smaller one's they are most likely 1/8watt.
With smaller one's, you may get away with a resistor length of just 3 holes on your layouts i.e. 1 hole in between the leads..

pyrop ;D

RLBJR65

Pyrop, that's a nice clean layout!

Really clear close up pic. At first I thought the resistors were 1/2 watt, but if you compair them to the diodes you can tell they are 1/4 watt. Izzy, you have the 1/4 metal film resistors? Those are a bit smaller than the carbon film. 3 holes? Maybe... I'd just stick with 4 to be safe though :icon_wink:

I've been slowly re doing some of my layouts. After etching a few I'm thinking why the H--L did I make that so darn small. The smallest enclosure I use is a 1590B, with 20 - 22 holes wide you get a board that is the perfect width, and if you can keep it 12 - 14 holes deep there is plenty of room for jackes, etc.
So I'm spacing some stuff out making mounting pads etc.

Richard Boop