DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzy

Bancika, why does this software gets slow and slow when you have  more component?

When you first start a layout its working fine then after few components are added its gets slower, again after few more components, it gets slower. And there comes a time that this software becomes a pain in the ass to work with almost taking 5-10 sec for each function. I get so pissed.  :-\

pyrop

Quote from: Izzy on January 28, 2007, 11:21:47 PM
Bancika, why does this software gets slow and slow when you have more component?

When you first start a layout its working fine then after few components are added its gets slower, again after few more components, it gets slower. And there comes a time that this software becomes a pain in the ass to work with almost taking 5-10 sec for each function. I get so pissed.  :-\

Yeah that is a problem with this software unfortunately most likely from the way it was originally written i.e. a lot of things were added along the way with many updates.
If read a couple of pages or so back, Bancika says he is planning to rewrite the whole program but doesn't have the time at the moment and this is also why I believe there has been no updates for a while.
Once you know what you need to write into code you can do it in a more efficient way & therefore the program will run more efficiently.
But for now we all just have to put up with it.

Tips to help!

• use the minimum number of tracks & pads as possible.
  • leave placing off board components & their pads til the last step.
  • use the fastest computer you can.

pyrop ;D

pi22seven

I would kill for a Mac version of this. Just joking about the "kill" thing. Mostly.

KerryF

One probablem I found with this... I went to build a circuit I etched from here and realized that the IC holes were WAY too far apart and not the correct size.  I managed to work around this, but it was a pain.

bancika

that's strange because all holes should be aligned to 2.54mm (0.1") grid. IC holes should be 5mm apart. :icon_rolleyes:
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

southtown

is there a way to turn the board around so the strips are running the other way?

bancika

at the moment no, but I haven't seen vertical strips on layout before :icon_eek:

markm

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on January 30, 2007, 10:59:26 PM
One probablem I found with this... I went to build a circuit I etched from here and realized that the IC holes were WAY too far apart and not the correct size.  I managed to work around this, but it was a pain.

I've never had a problem like this.....strange....   :icon_confused:

brett

Hi
I just downlloaded the software  I've been a PCBExpress user for a few years and didn't think I needed anything else..

But this software is fantastic.
Thanks so much, Bancika. :icon_smile:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

ANDYEFFECT

I placed in the site two new PCB, Marshall Bluesbreaker and Marshall DriveMaster with control of tone of the Bluesbreaker.

bancika

Got it, tnx :icon_wink:
We've reached to about 230 layouts in gallery. Great work guys, thanks to all who uploaded their layouts, keep 'em coming :icon_smile:

southtown

slacker

it's windows only as far as I know. It will work on a virtual windows machine using, qemu, but it's slow, or at least it is on my machine.
You might be able to get it running using wine or crossover office.

blanik

most probably a wrong setting of the image in Photoshop or whatever your using... maybe you resized the gif and didn't make shure the (DPI resolution X image size) was correct, it most likely was interpreted wrongly by your graphic app...

R.

Ronsonic

Quote from: blanik on February 14, 2007, 03:09:37 AM

most probably a wrong setting of the image in Photoshop or whatever your using... maybe you resized the gif and didn't make shure the (DPI resolution X image size) was correct, it most likely was interpreted wrongly by your graphic app...

R.

Let me type this again, your program outputs a gif image that is approximately 3 time larger than the board is supposed to be. It needs to be reduced by whatever program is used to panel or print it. A reduction of about 37% works, but is not perfect because the gif is larger than the intended PCB and the "border area" is not to scale. To get it just right requires some stretching. This is not an artifact of the programs we are using to manipulate it, the border is there in the original output and it is overlarge right from the beginning. "Print PnP" does not have this problem, it's output is the correct size, but is of course printed on paper and can't be paneled. It would be a tremendous improvement if that border did not exist then the image could be resized and no additional work needed.

If you like, I can render a PnP and email it to you. Because obviously we are talking past each other. If you were to say, "yes, the output is large you need to scale" I could accept that. But you seem to be insisting that this is not the case and I cannot understand how that is.

Weird finding myself agreeing 1800#^%$#%^

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

bancika

Hmmm, Testing I did was in photoshop and everything was in scale. Which software are you using?

Papa_lazerous

Quote from: bancika on February 14, 2007, 05:32:40 PM
Hmmm, Testing I did was in photoshop and everything was in scale. Which software are you using?

Works perfect size for me.  I print with photoshop too

bancika

most programs (cheap) don't pay attention to actual GIF file resolution but print using default (300dpi I think)
photoshop does it right

Ronsonic

Quote from: bancika on February 14, 2007, 05:32:40 PM

I have used everything I can get my hands on, including photoshop. How can I express this so that you can understand me. THE IMAGE ITSELF IS WAY LARGE. Regardless of what software I use to process it, the image itself is way out of scale. It is the same size in everything I've tried. Everything I use requires a 37% reduction and then a bit of adjustment because the scaling is affected by the border. Why would the program matter? What am I not understanding that causes you to think that the program used would make a difference?

It's manageable, but a nuisance.

Ron

http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

markm

I think I understand what Ron is saying here.
If he prints his PCB graphics without doing it from with in the DIY Creator program, it prints very large.
I have the exact same issue, I print mine through Photoshop too.
One thing I have noticed is, if you do not alter the image at all while in photoshop, it will print fine.
Once the image is altered, saved and reopened to print, it comes out HUGE!