DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Quote from: Valoosj on September 11, 2007, 08:45:56 AM
I just tried that. It makes it a pcb, but you have to mirror it (with paint or another program)
Nice stuff!

The PCB image does NOT need to be mirrored at all.  :icon_confused:

bancika

I have updated layout section of my site finally with all layouts you guys uploaded in the meantime. Sorry it took so long, it's been busy period :) I'll try to update more frequent from now on, thanks to all for uploading.
By the way, sine I'm not building anything new while in the NY I'll put new pic on front page every often  :icon_cool:
Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Valoosj

Quote from: markm on September 12, 2007, 08:56:13 AM
Quote from: Valoosj on September 11, 2007, 08:45:56 AM
I just tried that. It makes it a pcb, but you have to mirror it (with paint or another program)
Nice stuff!

The PCB image does NOT need to be mirrored at all.  :icon_confused:

doesn't that depend on the method you use for etching the pcb? The ones I made all had mirrored images. I never made a pcb myself (yet) but all the images were mirrored from the wiring diagram
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Ronsonic

The wiring diagram is viewed from the top side of the board. The PCB traces are seen from the bottom. So they aren't mirrored they are simply seen from the other side. Using press n peel you don't mirror image the pattern and that's the major method for PCBs around here. The photo resist process requires a reversed pattern.

I hope I'm not making it more confusing.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

bancika

rikkards

I have a couple of ideas although I don't know how feasible they are but something to keep in mind for a later version:
1. With some people using trim pots to tune in their sound, it would be nice to have some variances i.e 1x3, 2x2 grid sized components as this would make it easier to lay out the components. Maybe allow method to import libraries or create your own?
2. Different types of switches
3. Smaller sized pots (They are HUGE!)
4. Allow busses as part of layout. I have purchased pcbs that have busses and use them extensively. When laying out my circuits I am setting the components with their leads out into space to replicate this. Maybe it could be like a mix of cut track icon and a component laying down the start and end of the bus and filling in everything in between.

No idea if this is possible but thought I should throw this out there.
Thanks!
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

bancika

thanks for suggestions. Yeah, smaller pots would be cool, as for trimpots I don't understand. There are at least 3 different types already there.
I never used busses so have no clue what that is, if you explain me I'll try to add to the new version.
Cheers

rikkards

Quote from: bancika on October 03, 2007, 10:23:00 AM
thanks for suggestions. Yeah, smaller pots would be cool, as for trimpots I don't understand. There are at least 3 different types already there.
I never used busses so have no clue what that is, if you explain me I'll try to add to the new version.
Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I will have to open my eyes and look at the trimpots in it. I saw Potentiometers but don't remember seeing any small pots that I could mount on the board for figuring out placing. I will look tonight.

A bus would just be a separate strip of pads that are all connected. Most of the time a bus is used to provide Ground or Power.
Below would be a strip board with a bus on the left going vertical. 
X   XXXXX
X   XXXXX
X   XXXXX

Most of the PCBs I have bought had a strip or two on each side that run the length of the board that I use to provide Power connections to the circuit. Usability wouldn't change adding this but would help with layout. Plus if this was  "component" that could be added to the board. It would give anyone the ability to more accurately get the look of the PCB they are using.

Otherwise, I am really happy with the tool and it saves a LOT of time when you realize that the placing of your components won't work.

Hope that makes more sense.
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen

bancika

rikkards

Quote from: bancika on October 03, 2007, 11:33:10 AM
Hm, but couldn't you make bus with pads and traces?

Probably. It would take a while to do a 35 pad bus though :)

I was thinking of more for aesthetic purposes than functionality.

Pushtone

I can not print within DIYLC, just like the lad in this post.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48097.0

I have to render and use another program to print the layout and PnP.
I did a search but the thread above is all I could find and that's from a year ago.

Not a big deal, but I would like to know if its my computer or just the program.
I using version 18.10 2006

Thanks
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

bancika

It could be anything, probably something microsoft related :) Sorry I can't give you something useful. Java version should be better because it's not OS dependant once I make it. Damn microsoft screws something up every day, with every new release of IE, office or windows some of my programs don't work any more...

Anyways, I have reorganized my layouts page so now it's all DB driven, so when new layout comes in I only need to add DB entry and page will take care of the rest. For now it looks the same as the old one but it leaves space for future improvements. First will be search/filtering, but I plan to put more stuff, like online layout verification (so you can see who verified it) and more. Stay tuned.
By the way, check out the main page of my site, I added some interesting non-DIY photos...
Cheers

Papa_lazerous

Quote from: bancika on October 12, 2007, 09:03:13 AM
By the way, check out the main page of my site, I added some interesting non-DIY photos...

You wouldnt mean the pic of you meeting Vai would you???  Thats cool mate!!

bancika

Papa_lazerous

bancika

Thanks John!
anyway, I've added layout filtering to the site, so now you can type something like "pcb amp" and it will return all amplifiers that have pcb layout.
more to come.

bancika

Latest update: I have added layout rating system, so visitors can give thumbs up or thumbs down. Check out
http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/index.php?project=layouts
Btw, only one rating per user is allowed. Thanks

s.r.v.

can i ask what you mac users are doing until the flash version comes out? is there a way to run this?

bancika