DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeromeplank

Quote from: bancika on November 03, 2007, 04:21:05 PM
probably with windows emulator.
cheers

i've tried this using crossover in mac and couldn't get it to work. it seemed to install just fine but when i went to run it a couple errors came up then it crashed.

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

aron

bancika

jeromeplank

Gordo

Hi,

I'm a little new around here, but have a bunch of effects projects under my belt.  I downloaded this app some time ago but am just getting around to working with it and wanted to let you know how thrilled I am with it.  Very nice job.  I used it to crank out the layout for the Soul Preacher and worked very nicely.  A pleasure to use and very intuitive.  I've always thought that one of the cool things about the DIY community is the folks that give back more than they take.  This is a HUGE give back...

Gordo
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

bancika

bancika

Good news everyone. I finally got some strength to start working on Java version. It's getting cold and I've already seen most of New York so I can spend some time working on this.
I got NetBeans and started to get acquainted with it. Stay tuned

Best regards,
Bane

bancika

and the first screenshot

I'm trying to structure the app well in the source so it's maintainable and expandable, none of which is easy with previous version.

Kornell

Thanks bancika for your work. I've used and enjoyed a lot the Layout Creator.  :icon_smile:

Papa_lazerous

bancika

I doubt it, at least for starters. First goal is to match basic functionality of windows version so mac/linux folks can use it. New structure will hopefully enable easier improvements.
I'll try to make rendering engine that will work ok for board layouts, (little later) chassis layouts and (later) schematics.

bancika

Update: I'll try to make it as modular as possible, components will be located in separate files and will be completely independent of the application. Probably board parts, too.
I'll try to abstract as much as possible and treat everything as the same model. With boards treated like any other components it will be possible to make layouts with more than one board on the screen, place board whenever you want, create your own styles of boards, etc.

Also, I'm working on drag&drop engine - hopefully, most of things will be drag&drop-able.

Best,
Bane

culturejam

I got the current version of DIY Layout Creator running on Linux. Only a couple of minor bugs (right-clicking always causes and exception error pop-up window).

I installed it with CrossOver Office Pro 5.0.3. I'm running WINE version 0.9.49 on Debian Etch.

aron

>But that would require a full Windows installation, wouldn't it?

Yes. But I have a number of dead PC machines that had Home XP on them. I just use those old disks.

aron

An alternative to Java is using REALBasic. It will cross compile to Mac/Win/Linux and it is so easy to use.

Aron

bancika

I hate basic :)
Java is not bad, I'm getting to know it and like it. Eclipse is a pain to work with with, I'm doing this in NetBeans. Probably not as flexible as eclipse, but at least I won't spend most of my time configuring it and installing all sorts of ANTs, JARs, WARs, BEANs and all other crap (if they spent the time needed to come up with those silly names to make it actually work it would be much better) :)

aron

>I hate basic

I used to as well. After all the compilers and "foundations" etc.... It's nice to sit down and write an application really fast and have it deploy across all my computers though.

bancika

How powerful is it?
It's probably ok approach if you need quick and simple apps but for larger projects I'm not sure if it can keep up. For DIYLC I need complex drawing routines, XML and stuff.
Cheers

s.r.v.

Thank you so much bancika!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait for the flash version. no more getting out the crappy old pc, i can do layouts on my beautiful mac! thanks again, its a great program