DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaesic

Quote from: slacker on December 09, 2007, 06:20:38 PM
I've also noticed that you don't seem to be able to rotate components like transistors and  opamps.
Double right click and change the angle property. Banicka said he was going to implement this better later though.

slacker

Rmanen

bside2234

First off I want to say thank you for doing this. It is simply amazing that you would do it and distribute it for free!

Second, I have been using the non-java version for a little while now and it seems to work really well except that it is really slow on my PC.
I thought I would try the Java version to see if it ran better and it does. Tons smoother and faster. Plus it is just 100x better.
The only thing is I don't use Perf or Strip. I etch. Am I missing something or is it not possible to do a PCB and export it to PNP yet?

bside2234

Also in the Java version I can't open up an existing file. I get an error, "file format not recognized."  I have tried a few different files (Perf, Strip, and PCB).

Barcode80

great stuff bancika! some questions...

does the new version light up the traces when you highlight them? like if i go to the dropdown list for solder pads in the old version, it would light up the solder pad so i knew which one i was messing with. never worked on traces for me, which was difficult :)

also, is the undo multi-layered in this version?

bancika

bside2234: no PCB stuff yet, but there will be. Note that it's still in alpha development stage. And you can't open old files. This version has much more advanced engine which is too far from the old one. After I release first production version I'll try to make a converter of some kind, but still, it's not easy...

Barcode80: yeah, new traces will light up when you click on them. I don't think we'll need component list now because it will be possible to do everything with mouse directly: select, drag&drop, change properties, etc.

still no undo, but it will be there very soon.

Cheers all and thanks for trying DIYLC...
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

bside2234

I understand. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

This new version is soooooooooooo much better than the older one. I can't wait until it is fully operational!

I don't think you need a component list either as long as you are able to select more than one object with ctrl or something.

Thank you again for doing this!

bancika

currently you can select more than one component with good ol' selection rectangle, a'la windows explorer. But I'll add ctrl selection too.

bancika

Next up will be undo function (unlimited).

How do you guys fill about zoom in/out?
It's not easy to implement and I don't want DIYLC to have many options that are not likely to be used, so I'm asking you for opinion. Is it worth it?

Cheers

bside2234

Zoom might be nice but I don't know if it would be too necessary.

Kornell

Quote from: bancika on December 12, 2007, 09:04:22 AM
How do you guys fill about zoom in/out? Is it worth it?

To me it is NOT necessary,at least I won't miss it.

scaesic

Quote from: 96ecss on December 12, 2007, 01:31:47 PM
I don't really see the need for zoom.

Dave

I think i agree, only reason for it would be for BIG circuits, but people tend to have bigger monitors and resolutions now, so if you get the scale right then you should be able to get away without it. the most you'd ever need would be say 120% and 80%. But im not convinced its needed.

bancika

yeah, but if you have a large project you can always scroll. I have two 19" LCDs joined together at work, so don't have that problem anyways :)

bancika

Styxx

Not sure if you're aware of this, when I tried to use the program I couldn't get veroboard to come up, just came up with a blue dot

bancika