DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mydementia

Bane - Great work (as usual)!
I just downloaded the Beta (12/29am) and really like the new look/feel.  When I clicked the 'Update Library' button in the 'Help' menu, it looked like it updated the library to v1.1, but I get a startup error saying 'The following component files could not be processed: <path>\diylc_beta\library\new.xml - These files were ignored!'.  I click OK and the program opens just fine...

A few notes since your still in development:
1  When the user changes units to 'in' (using the toggle in the upper left corner) it would be nice if all units were changed to inches (those of us on this side of the pond don't tend to think in mm).
2  Is there a 'save preferences' feature?  I notice that each time I start up, I need to change the units back to 'in' and move the library bar back the far edge - not a big deal.  Would be nice to be able to 'anchor' the library bar...
3  Regarding 'save preferences', I like 0.4-inch spacing for my resistors and 0.3-inch spacing for my caps - everything seems to come in with 0.5-inch spacing.  How do I tell DIYLC that I want to always use my preferred spacing?  Maybe this won't be such a big deal when copy and paste works... bug?
4  A normal transformer symbol would be nice - multi-tap capability would be really nice :)
5  In the beta, I cannot use the ctrl button for shortcuts (copying and pasting and undoing).  Probably a little bug.  It would be nice if ctrl-R rotated the selected component too... (maybe ctrl-R for CW and ctrl-L for CCW?)
6  Labeling schematic symbols - for completeness, I like to add pinout labels to my tubes, opamps, and FETs when I make schematics.  I guess I could simply add text... but it would be really cool to add the symbol to the 'Properties' window with boxes for text/numbering input.  I'm specifically looking at a tube right now and think it would really help.
7  Is there a 'create project' feature?  I like the schematic, layout, and BOM all on one sheet (easier to trouble-shoot).  I could see creating or inserting in a schematic and creating a layout, but it doesn't look like there's an easy way to add the BOM (without exporting it as an image and importing it back in).  The ability to resize imported images would be nice too.
8  I have a dumb question... what's the intention of layers? 

I can't wait to start using this new version - so much more dynamic and capable than the last one... which was excellent!
Great work!  Thanks so much.
Mike

bancika

bingewood, I have just tried and locking works...are you sure?

about library update, yeah, I put some phony component on the site just to make sure update works...don't worry about that.

mydementia, lets see
1. will think about that, not simlpe.
2. will add saving preferences eventually
3. not simple either. It's easy if you want to open component XML file (in library folder) and change <points> node, that's default
4. yeah, that's gonna be there
5. shortcuts work only when main window is in the focus, still don't work when library is focused
6. ok
7. I'll think
8. IMO having layers is very important, for 2 reasons:
a) to keep components in logical z-order, so that you don't draw enclosure at the top of components and don't see anything below.
b) it's really necessary to have that in my abstract component model. When we come to exporting PCB board alone, program would have to know in advance about pcb trace, solder pads and whatnot else and say somehow that we should export only those. With layers, it's sufficient to dedicate one layer to all these components that make surface of pcb and then just show that layer when exporting. That's very elegant and later changes/additions don't require any program changes, just component update.
cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

BINGEWOOD

I tried it again and the lock works on a new proj but when I open a saved proj it doesn't work.  It shows the check mark next to layer I choose but doesn't lock.

bancika

I'll investigate, thanks!
By the way, I've been working on major code re-organization to make it better written (remember, I'm learning Java with this project, it's my first). As a result we have two cool changes:
a) when you double click on component in the library it's created on the center of visible part of the layout, not fixed position.
b) you can drag component from library to the layout and it's created exactly where you dragged it to.
Stay tuned.
Cheers

bancika

yeah, you're right...I'm gonna have to redo the layer locking thing, it's sloppy.

hgamal

I am running on Fedora 7 and it is very good. I have some issues:

- every time I move some component or change one of its leads the properties box shows up, I need to close and continue. Does it happen running under Windows?;
  - does not exist led component (I am using diodes);
  - does not exist cut track component (somebody has told it before);
  - I miss the board marks on perfboard showing the positions of holes (like the old software does);
  - Is there a way to print the perforated board, including the cut tracks, by the solder view. It could be very helpful!
  - After some time the software became very slow, after restart, it comes fast again.

Even with this few problems, it is a very good software and run fine on linux. Congratulations.
Haroldo Gamal

bancika

Quote from: hgamal on December 31, 2007, 07:10:05 AM
  - every time I move some component or change one of its leads the properties box shows up, I need to close and continue. Does it happen running under Windows?;

hmm, shouldn't work like that. Properties should show up only on double click. I'll check if that's something platform related...

Quote from: hgamal on December 31, 2007, 07:10:05 AM
  - After some time the software became very slow, after restart, it comes fast again.

few other people complained about that. I don't know much about java, but it probably doesn't clean up memory or I have some memory leaks...

hgamal

One more problem: "resitor standing" components are not showed in the BOM!
Haroldo Gamal

bancika

BINGEWOOD

bancika

yeah, but it's a hack and it's not gonna be displayed when PCB is exported (see the story on layouts). It's very easy to make dedicated bendy trace component which will work right.
Cheers

BINGEWOOD

I gotz my workarounds. Dedicated bendys would be kool.  Makes fer some cool routing.

bancika

Roobin

Has anyone managed to get DIYLC 2 running in Debian/Ubuntu? hgamal, I've seen that you've managed to get it running under Fedora.

And those bendy traces look cool!

bancika

How about transformer symbol with ability to set number of primaries and secondaries  :icon_wink:

BINGEWOOD

arma61

Hi, how do you let the traces keep connected to a component? I mean you move the component and all traces connected to its pins remain connected to it increasing or decresing length or changing angles, is this possible?
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

bancika

at the moment no, there is no interaction between components. Next option I'll add is "sticky points" which means that moving/stretching component will also move components that are linked to it.
cheers

arma61

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen