DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

andrew_k

Quote from: culturejam on May 11, 2008, 12:18:41 PM
Any word on the progress of the new beta?  :)

+1.

It's great to have the Java version for Mac and Linux, but there are some big memory leaks which means I have to restart it every 10 or 15 minutes when working on larger layouts.  :icon_cry:
It very quickly climbs past 120MB of physical RAM on my mac.

ConanB

If I had spare time I'd offer to help with any development. My Java is a little rusty but easy to pick back up.
If you do need any help with any odd jobs let me know  :)
Great tool, and the beta version is perfect with it's extendable component library!

bancika

Hi guys,
Unfortunately, I don't have any time now because of the work and my studies, it's been in the standstill for almost 4 months now.
I was planning to take open source path and allow other developers to join and work on it, but I don't have time even to do the research on open source (I don't know how it works yet). I hope I'll be able to at least create open source project on sourceforge or something like that because I won't be able to work on it for at least 2-3 months.
Cheers and thanks for kind words
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

ConanB

Let us know if you get it all up on sourceforge.
You've got a great project here and it would be a shame for it to get left behind. So many people in the DIY community use it and love it! So again, great work!

~arph

Making it open source is a great idea! people can discuss here what features they are working on.(I allready did some work on importing old diy files)  It will really speed up developement. I have no idea on how to set up an open source project and keep control of it, but since I work with opensource on a daily basis and since we have just open sourced a major software platform at my company ( navajo.nl ) I'll be happy to investigate.

bancika

thanks for plugging in ~arph. Things I'm most concerned about are

• How to keep my rights as an autor
  • How do other participants keep their rights/credits for work they do
  • How to organize everything, i.e. how to keep the whole project directed and control what's done
Cheers

andrew_k

Quote from: bancika on May 14, 2008, 07:14:58 AM
thanks for plugging in ~arph. Things I'm most concerned about are...

I'd add "preventing 'Company X' from slapping their logo on it and selling it as their own".
Make sure you put the right license on it; especially if it is using any OSS frameworks under the hood and needs to be compatible with their licenses.
I also write and use open source software in my day job (though not Java) and am happy to help in any way I can.

bancika

Quote from: andrew_k on May 14, 2008, 07:34:30 AM
I'd add "preventing 'Company X' from slapping their logo on it and selling it as their own".

yeah, that's good point. They wouldn't sell too much if they sell the same thing we offer for free, but it could be used as a starting point.
Also, I have no clue about licenses and advantages/disadvantages of common licenses (like GNU). any help is appreciated.
Cheers

~arph

Well I've just checked GNU GPL  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

-This will not prevent you from other people selling it, but they can not rebrand it and can not add features without making the source openly available. In other words, if someone sells it they have to share the source so you can offer their version for free again.
-With the license a copyright notice must be included at all time, so everyone get their credits.

To organize it all I recommend using version control (CVS) make branches for releases. So we can release beta versions, release candidates and final releases and never loose any of the code of all versions. It will also ensure that if two persons are working on the same thing they are forced to merge their work.

Regards,

Arnoud

rikkards

Another source to look at is BSD Licensing. I think it is similar to GPL but if I recall correctly, you can give the source out but you can stipulate whether or not someone can sell it.

Quote from: ~arph on May 14, 2008, 07:51:16 AM
Well I've just checked GNU GPL  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

-This will not prevent you from other people selling it, but they can not rebrand it and can not add features without making the source openly available. In other words, if someone sells it they have to share the source so you can offer their version for free again.
-With the license a copyright notice must be included at all time, so everyone get their credits.

To organize it all I recommend using version control (CVS) make branches for releases. So we can release beta versions, release candidates and final releases and never loose any of the code of all versions. It will also ensure that if two persons are working on the same thing they are forced to merge their work.

Regards,

Arnoud

Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

bancika

Quote from: ~arph on May 14, 2008, 07:51:16 AM

I work with CVS every day at my job so no problem there, I know about it :)

~arph

Yes that one is interesting too..I'll check that one now

Also.. there is the GNU LGPG which is the LESSER version of the GPL, which you should use in this case instead of the normal GPL.
The difference is that with the LGPL version you restrict your libraries (source) only to be packaged with your software. Where the GPL allows others to use your source for their software too.

PS.  Doesn't sourceforge offer CVS?

bancika

~arph

I've just registered a dummy project there to see what it offers. See if the accept my submission  ???

as for BSD.. this is the whole BSD license (template):

Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    * Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

bancika

I have setup a project on sourceforge under both GPL and BSD licences, let's wait till they approve it...

~arph

Cool. Let's get this thing rolling.

In the BSD case all you have to do I think is include the license with the code.
For LGPL you have to include the license in every source file (which I actually like better)

As for now you could start with gathering information on what you wish to see done. ( I believe you have an bug/feature request page, let me check that) and let other people start at that.

Regards,

Arnoud

bancika

yeah, there's request page here http://storm-software.co.yu/flyspray/
I already did many request but didn't make a release yet. However, they are marked in the list...
Thanks

~arph