What my Bosstone sounds like.

Started by Focalized, July 19, 2008, 12:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Focalized

I read a few things about getting a sub octave using big caps in a Jordan Bosstone. I haven't tried that but I got a great effect with using a MPSA13 as Q1 and just one 1N34A in the diode loop. Not a loop anymore. The rest is stock as in this layout:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Richard-Boop-RLBJR65/album69/jordanbosstone.gif.html

It sounds like ass on a clean channel but in front of a screamer like pedal I think it sounds awesome. I've made two of them and they are pretty similar. Sounds better with a battery. Very picky pedal with playing with others.

Have a listen. It's the Clean Amp Channel in my POD xt. The drive in front is a BYOC Screamer with LED clipping on. Then the evil Fuzz. The sub octave isn't on every note on the guitar mainly on the A and D strings. Middle notes. Kind of opposite of how an octave up works. Can be controlled with the guitar volume. The rest is a squashy over the top fuzz. But still good, though noisy. Sounds like the clip through my Classic 30 as well.

http://www.artistserver.com/m1/89/76/media/25644.mp3

What do you think? Is it a hit. Try it out with a Bosstone. I'm sure somebody could make it more tight sounding and with less noise.

And can this damage a speaker at high volumes? The sub octave? I guess the Blue Box would have done that already if it can.

fuzzo

the sound is cool, i must do one !!

What have you change to have this "sub octave" ?

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

fuzzo

Quote from: fuzzo on July 19, 2008, 06:34:19 AM
the sound is cool, i must do one !!

What have you changed to have this "sub octave" ?

Focalized

Hey all I did was use a MPSA13 for transistor 1. And have only one germanium diode at the end. Not sure how much difference the diode positioning makes but looking at the layout, I have D1 removed. Without the diode, it was a little too open and loud. With the second diode it was too compressed. Takes some experimenting there.

squidsquad

Much has been posted about this fuzz (you may already know).   
The *true* sound comes from using lower gain trannys.
Higher gains & larger caps quickly gets you into crazy territory..sub-octave things etc...
Some seem to like that..but I find the mods not usable in a live/band setting.

Focalized

I think this is very useful for Tom Morello type singe note riffs. Harder NIN type noise. With a Wah or a filter it's really fun. With the guitar volume down the octave is gone but it's a juicy mean fuzz.

I've yet to make the bosstone sound like it should but have plenty of normal fuzzes anyway.

jimbob

Very cool sounding build!! I think Ill giver a try the same way
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

8mileshigh

Nice playing & sounds like my clone but mine has a Big Muff tone control.  The Bosstone has this ragged tone to it that many other fuzzes don't have, you gotta love it.

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Dragonfly

Quote from: 8mileshigh on July 20, 2008, 10:19:26 AM
Nice playing & sounds like my clone but mine has a Big Muff tone control.  The Bosstone has this ragged tone to it that many other fuzzes don't have, you gotta love it.

Chris

Yep...I remember posting that one... I probably still have the layout around here somewhere...

Bosstone ---> BM tone stack----> LPB ...

pretty simple, but really great sound.

I like Q1 around 150hfe, Q2 300-350 hfe