Would this work? Schem inside

Started by syndromet, May 22, 2006, 03:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

Yesterday I played around with my modified Danelectro Daddy-O, and found it sounded superb with Dragonfly's Snakebite in front. I therefor decided to try designing my first circuit.

The whole thing is based on Wampcat1's Daddy-O schematics posted here a few days ago. I omitted the input buffer, and replaced it with the Snakebite. I also subbed the original tonestack with a BMP-style tonestack. Since I don't have a breadboard, I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I was therefor wandering if any of you guys could tell me what this would sound like?

Can I call this my own design?  Any comments?
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

TELEFUNKON

I`d move R18 to R12 or R13`s place, to avoid loading of the tonecontrol.
Can omit C7 or C8, then.
Saves 2 components, might give better tonerange.
(but than it`s not your own design anymore  :icon_eek:).

Brian Marshall

it looks like it should work... its late so i didnt look at the values too closely, but after reading telefunkons post, id agree that the 20k pot will probably make the middle range of the tone control super quiet.  either that or recalculate for a much larger volume pot.

overall it seems to look a bit like an ibanze SD9

syndromet

Thanx for the reply guys!! Guess I'll just build the thing, and expiriment with differen sized pots, as I'm not good at calculating stuff. I'm realy looking forward to try this one. :) Anyone care to take a guess of waht it might sound like?

JimRayden

I wouldn't run around calling this thing "Big Daddy" though, someone beat ya to it:
http://www.runoffgroove.com/grace.html

Your circuit looks interesting though, I might try it out.

-----------
Jimbo

syndromet

Quote from: JimRayden on May 22, 2006, 09:12:14 AM
I wouldn't run around calling this thing "Big Daddy" though, someone beat ya to it:
http://www.runoffgroove.com/grace.html

Your circuit looks interesting though, I might try it out.

-----------
Jimbo

Oh! Thanx for pointing that out!!
Sorrry, ROG-guys!!!

syndromet

Made a vero-layout for this, but it is not verified yet....
If anyone care to try:

Mark Hammer

I'm not enough of a transistor to guy to know, but is it safe to assume that the reason you put on the input and output buffers was to offset the low input impedance and phase inversion of the inverting op-amp?  In which case, just out of curiosity, why the use of an inverting op-amp? :icon_question: ???

syndromet

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 23, 2006, 12:43:02 PM
I'm not enough of a transistor to guy to know, but is it safe to assume that the reason you put on the input and output buffers was to offset the low input impedance and phase inversion of the inverting op-amp?  In which case, just out of curiosity, why the use of an inverting op-amp? :icon_question: ???

I'll tell you why. Simply because I'm a total noob, and copied what others have done before me. ;) I simply used this design to learn about op amps and how they work. Guess I didn't understand the part about inverted and non-inverted op-amps correctly....
So if anyone care to teach me, I'd be happy to learn. ::)

JimRayden

I love the new name! :D

---------
Jimbo

syndromet

Quote from: JimRayden on May 23, 2006, 02:30:54 PM
I love the new name! :D

---------
Jimbo

Thanks. I hated it when I first put it on there, but it was the best I could come up with at the moment. Now, when I have gotten used to it, I'm starting to lik it. It's kind of an "adult only name", and not suiteable for whimps...  ;D

I'l try wiring up the effect tomorrow, along with a preamp/cab sim. I'll see if I'll be able to post some clips.

MartyMart

The vero layout looks good, Q1's "image" should be flipped over to get DGS top to bottom though,
flat side should be on the left  :icon_wink:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

syndromet

Quote from: MartyMart on May 23, 2006, 06:49:57 PM
The vero layout looks good, Q1's "image" should be flipped over to get DGS top to bottom though,
flat side should be on the left  :icon_wink:

MM
You are absolutely right. I guess I'll never learn the pinout of a j201....
Anyway, the mistake has now been corrected.