All no...I've produced intentional distortion!!

Started by jmusser, December 16, 2005, 12:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

Here's the site:    http://photobucket.com/albums/v324/caseyseffectpage/    got to "Fuzz and Overdrives", and then to "Peachy Fuzz". For some reason if you try to got to the complete link all at once, it kicks you out. This is an A. Leo circuit from back in 1968 out of Popular Electronics. He just called it "Fuzz Tone". The first words after" Fuzz tone" are "Produces intentional distortion". I know I read an old article on here once upon a time, that had this EE pulling his hair out, because after all they had done to produce high fidelity, "there are people that are intentionally distorting their guitar tones"! I guess A. Leo must have decided that "if those darn kids are bent on distorting their amplifiers, than By God we'll give it to em"! I went ahead and made this thing plug and play, since I'm out of DPDT switches at the moment. I left out the "Normal" selection too, so that just leaves fuzz. Really, this is not nearly as much a fuzz circuit as it is a grinding, snarling, and thick, distortion. This old 68 circuit gets right at the edge of Heavy Metal, and you can pretty much grind out your Black Sabbath tunes with it. This is a wicked little distortion circuit. I can't remember exactly what I bought these 2N3565 transistors for, but I was thinking it might have been the FTM. I decided not to build it, since I already have a French Toast, so maybe that's where they came from. This circuit sounded great through either my tube amp, or my SS amp. It has real good sustain and volume too. I would guess that somehow this massive 4.7 Meg resistor between Q1 base and Q2 emitter has something to do with heaviness of this distortion. This is a basic simple circuit, but it's a sleeper im my estimation. I believe Brian Wenz built this circuit last year sometime, but it seems to have had some sort of problem, and it didn't seem to go much of anywhere. I would guess that the "Normal" mode is basically a boost off the first transistor, and I really didn't need that.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

R.G.

Digging through the old Markus circuit collections, eh?   :icon_biggrin:

If you'll look closely, you'll find that same circuit reincarnated as the swell circuit on the Experience pedal.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jmusser

I think it's neat to dig around in the old stuff, and see what the old circuits sounded like. Of course, I don't know how close we're approximating them, with transistor and other component subs. This one, I happened to have the proper transistors for though. Like you said in your text, some of the circuits may actually sound better now than they did initially because the components are so much more consistant than they were. I also know that it's "Oh no" instead of "All no", but I thought I'd throw out some Southern Ohio slang :icon_biggrin:. As in "tires" are pronounced "tars" around here.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

snabero

good day to all.im on a search for a simple circuit for heavy metal sound and i spotted this circuit.I hope you can post a sound sample from this unit.hope to hear your replies.(",)

petemoore

It looks like the DPDT switches between two' circuits, or different parts of the same circuit to get 'normal' and "Fuzz' tones, I believe a second DPDT would be need to be added to make it a true bypassed circuit.
  Good One !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

casey

im glad someone is still getting some use out of my old site.  there are alot of great projects in there, i just havent had time to add to it....
Casey Campbell