News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

help

Started by jjucius, June 12, 2006, 02:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjucius

Hi
I want to rehouse some effects, they are all danelectro. a chilli dog a fab echo and a fab flange. now there are two boards in there the big one has the power and switching and then theres a small one with the effect. i also want to make them true bypass. do i need to keep the power supply and switch board or can i build my own power supply? i plan on puting them all in one enclosure. any tips?
Thanks
Joe

jonathan perez

pleeeeeeease be very specific with your subjects! itll "help" all of us.  ;D
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Connoisseur of Distortion

100+ posts? you should know better!  ;)

aron

They are so small, I would just rehouse them in a larger housing if possible and use the circuit boards as is - even the jacks.

Processaurus

On the Fab PCB with the jacks and switching, I see a TL072, which I'm guessing is being used as a buffer.  It may be that the effects need the buffered input or output to work right?  I know the Echo is very similar to the tonepad Rebote Delay (using a fixed resistor for the delay time, see this thread on replacing it with a pot), you may check if its missing an input or output stage.  It may be redundant, though, and that part could be removed and true bypassed very easily in that case.

I've toyed with this idea as I'm a fan of the Fabs, I'd probably end up doing something like Aron is describing, and use a real carling momentary switch to replace the tiny PCB switch, because as far as electronic switching goes, the FAB pedals do it in one of the best ways, with the CD4053, and seems quite transparent to my ears).  That and replace the chinsey PCB mount jacks. 

PS I checked and the 125B size box can accomodate the larger PCB with the jacks, if you trim down the side "wings".  There isn't any copper on these, it just kind of uses the wings for mounting it.    Unfortunately the little effect board is a couple MM too small to just slide into the ribs, but I'm sure it would be easy to put something on the sides (some stiff wire, soldered to a sturdy ground point on the board, could work) to capture it with the ribs.  I bet someone could get two of the Fab effects in a 125B, including 2 of the switching/ jack boards.