Author Topic: So, I have all the parts for the beginner project...  (Read 10290 times)

vikingtyty

So, I have all the parts for the beginner project...
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »
I ordered a dc jack as well as the battery snap...

Instead of wiring the battery snap to where it's supposed to go, could i just wire the DC jack there instead?

aron

Re: So, I have all the parts for the beginner project...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »
Yes, but I would run with battery first, then DC later. Just to get it working.

vikingtyty

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:18:02 PM »
Alright, thanks!

vikingtyty

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:15:59 PM »
another question:

when i'm putting it all together, should i just do it on a wooden work bench? or is there something else i need to do it on? i know that when building computers its best to have a static free surface, etc... so i'm curious as to whether its the same for pedals or not.

aron

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:13:19 PM »
Wood bench is fine. Go for it!

vikingtyty

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 04:56:58 PM »
I'm so excited, haha.

BUT i have a few questions before i get started!

1. holes, and drilling them. should i use a dremel? or a drill with a metal bit on it? if i need the drill, or even the dremel for that matter, what size bits do i need? (for the led, input/output, dc jack, pot, switch)
2. what gauge of wire should i use?

i have a couple of parts that i dont know the purpose for, so i'll make a picture post once i get back from getting the wire/paint/drill stuff and find out what they are.

also, on the beginner project thread, theres a diagram for wiring the switch to the circuit... but which side is the top, bottom, etc?

vikingtyty

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 07:53:28 PM »
also, i'm about ready to solder, but...

i didn't get a transistor socket. so i need to know which way to put the transistor on the board.

like:

the next piece is soldered to the lower part of the transistor, but is that the collector or the emitter?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 08:38:08 PM by vikingtyty »

KORGULL

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »
i need to know which way to put the transistor on the board. ...the next piece is soldered to the lower part of the transistor, but is that the collector or the emitter?

Check out this thread:http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=45560.0

also, on the beginner project thread, theres a diagram for wiring the switch to the circuit... but which side is the top, bottom, etc?
This diagram might help you:http://www.diystompboxes.com/beginner/123DT.jpg

1. holes, and drilling them. should i use a dremel? or a drill with a metal bit on it? if i need the drill, or even the dremel for that matter, what size bits do i need? (for the led, input/output, dc jack, pot, switch)
2. what gauge of wire should i use?

1) I use a regular power drill and a step bit like this: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200307292&R=200307292 Those types of bits are convenient and seem to cut through really well. Regular bits for drilling metal are fine too. I would first indent the spot to be drilled with a center punch or use a hammer and nail or something. This will keep the bit from "walking" off the spot where you want the hole. Then drill a small pilot hole. I don't know the exact bit sizes, if you use the forum search function you can probably find a post that someone made with a list of some hole/bit sizes. I remember seeing that not too long ago. I just estimate and make sure I don't use a bit that is too large. Keep the items to be mounted (jacks, switch, etc...) nearby while drilling and check to see if they fit before moving up to the next size bit.

2) I'd say 22 or 24 gauge are the most commonly used wire sizes. Just make sure that the wire you use isn't too large to fit into the perfboard's holes. Stranded wire can stand up to more bending and movement before it will break than will solid wire.

Hope that helps!

vikingtyty

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:11:22 PM »
i read that thread you linked me to, and the only helpful part i found was when you said:

The three leads are emitter, base, and collector. The emitter is the one depicted with the little arrow on it in the schematic diagram and it connects toward ground in this circuit. The collector connects toward V+ power. The base is the one by itself in the middle and controls the voltage flow between emitter and collector.

BUT that still doesn't answer my question (at least not blatantly, haha)... which one (emitter/collector) is the one in that picture that is soldered with the next piece?

vikingtyty

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »
and as for the switch, i still don't know which side is the top. i guess it doesn't really matter as long as i wire it the same?

KORGULL

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 11:03:20 PM »
BUT that still doesn't answer my question (at least not blatantly, haha)... which one (emitter/collector) is the one in that picture that is soldered with the next piece?

I don't think I can answer that without more info. I need to know exactly which pieces we're talking about. I can't really figure it out from that picture.

Let's see if this helps:
You should have a 10K resistor connected to the collector. (The other side of that resistor connects to 9V+).
The positive side of a 10uF capacitor is also connected to the collector.
The negative side of a 22uf capacitor gets connected to the emitter.

About the switch; yeah, as long as you have it the right way - so the lugs are like this (like that diagram in the last post shows), you could rotate it 180 degrees and it will still operate the same. If you rotate it 90 degrees and wire it when the lugs are like this ||| it won't be right.
To put it another way, look at that last picture I posted of the switch. Notice how the lugs look; they are like this: That is how you want to hold the switch when you wire it; and the wires you would connect to the top row of lugs could just as well go on the bottom row of lugs and vice versa. It will work the same either way. If you turn the switch a quarter turn, the lugs will be like this ||| which is no good. If you have a multimeter with a continuity test function on it you can use it to test the switch and tell which rows of lugs connect and disconnect when you depress the switch.
----------------------------------
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
Imagine this is the switch, either the top or bottom row is always connected to the middle row; say 1 to 4, 2 to 5, and 3 to 6. When you stomp/press the switch it changes to 4 to 7, 5 to 8, and 6 to 9.
It doesn't matter if the wires that connect to lugs one, two, and three are instead connected to seven, eight, and nine.

vikingtyty

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 11:13:04 PM »
alright, i've got it! (the transistor part at least)

in that picture, it's the 22uf. so that would mean the emitter is the one on the lower side, and the collector on top.

and as for the negative on the 22uf..... the cap looks like this ------< < <------

the left lead would be the negative lead, correct?

KORGULL

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 11:17:58 PM »
The negative side is almost always the one that has those marks on it. Also, the negative lead is typically the shorter one.

vikingtyty

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 11:36:09 PM »
well, in the pictures ive seen, the cap was like [   ]===  (the equal sign is supposed to be the leads, meaning they both come out of the same side, basically, in that case, the "negative side is almost always the side with the arrows" comment would work)

but on mine, like i illustrated, its -----[< < <]-----
so im gonna go ahead and assume that the left side is the negative?

vikingtyty

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 12:04:21 AM »
actually, now that i think about it, i don't know about any of the components in the circuit. as in, i don't know which negatives i solder to what, or which positive i solder to what.

KORGULL

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 12:09:02 AM »
well, in the pictures ive seen, the cap was like [   ]===  (the equal sign is supposed to be the leads, meaning they both come out of the same side, basically, in that case, the "negative side is almost always the side with the arrows" comment would work)

but on mine, like i illustrated, its -----[< < <]-----
so im gonna go ahead and assume that the left side is the negative?

Oh, I get what you mean now.
Your type of cap with the leads coming out at each opposite end is called "axial" and the ones with both leads coming out of the bottom are called "radial."
Yeah, you're probably right about the left side being the negative one. Another thing to look for is if one end has an indentation; that should be the positive side.
I looked at the caps I have here, and most have negative symbols ( ) inside of, or in line with the >>> arrow shapes, but a couple have + positive signs and point to the positive lead. I would guess that if you don't have a + or - symbol, then the arrows are probably indicating the negative lead.

vikingtyty

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 12:15:03 AM »
thanks dude. you really have been a lot of help, and i really appreciate it.

if it's not too much to ask, could you explain which negatives/positives i solder to where ever on the board? or explain how i could learn that (or both haha)?

KORGULL

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 12:15:59 AM »
actually, now that i think about it, i don't know about any of the components in the circuit. as in, i don't know which negatives i solder to what, or which positive i solder to what.
There's only three parts that you need to worry about: the 10uF, 22uF, and the 47uF electrolytic capacitors. The schematic diagram has the positive + sides of these parts labelled. Just check that you have that side connected to the right part.

KORGULL

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 12:26:33 AM »

10uF positive to collector
22uf negative to emitter
The 47uF gets attached directly across the middle lug and one of the outer lugs (lugs 1&2) of the 5K boost control potentiometer.
Put the negative side of that cap to lug 1. Lug 1 also gets a wire connected to ground attached to it.

vikingtyty

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 12:34:54 AM »
thanks! now i think i've got it.

which cap is the input capacitor? and the output? in the picture tutorial it says to point the negatives away from the input cap, so i'm just making sure.

and with the schematics... basically whatever line goes from the part, like... the 22uf has a line that goes to the 100k. so i connect those two? and what about the 10k and 47k that cross the line vertically? do i connect them all together or what?