TZF Electric Mistress (sample and layout)

Started by markusw, June 13, 2006, 04:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markusw

Dave_B

Quote from: markusw on September 07, 2006, 07:50:07 AM
For those willing to invest a second SAD here's the updated link
Thanks, Markus.  Do you still have the mp3's?
Help build our Wiki!

markusw

Quote from: Dave_B on September 26, 2006, 10:15:00 PM
Quote from: markusw on September 07, 2006, 07:50:07 AM
For those willing to invest a second SAD here's the updated link
Thanks, Markus.  Do you still have the mp3's?

Yup, they are here

http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/wind_me_up.mp3

http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/noise.mp3

BTW, forget about the noise. Since I put it in a box it's absolutely quiet.

Markus

Pierre

hi !!!
I'm re floating this tread with a couple of questions...
I'm planing to build the TZF board (i allready made 2 pcb's for this project) and i have a little concern about IC 45580...it seems that i can't find this particular chip anywhere...can i replace it with another chip..? I tried to get the datasheet without success so i really don't know nothing about this IC...
Another question is: is it possible to use this TZF board in my A/DA flanger clone...?

Thank you !!!
Pierre

markusw

Quote from: Pierre on August 29, 2007, 02:33:47 PM
hi !!!
I'm re floating this tread with a couple of questions...
I'm planing to build the TZF board (i allready made 2 pcb's for this project) and i have a little concern about IC 45580...it seems that i can't find this particular chip anywhere...can i replace it with another chip..? I tried to get the datasheet without success so i really don't know nothing about this IC...
Another question is: is it possible to use this TZF board in my A/DA flanger clone...?

Thank you !!!
Pierre

4558O is just a 4558. The O is from the package name in Eagle. Sorry  ;)
Finally,  I went with a NE5532. It doesn't make a real difference though, I just somehow like 5532's...

Markus

QSQCaito

Is good you reborn this ;). I have a doubt, you still have your normal flange if you want? Is it worth doing it. And last, can it be done with the deluxe version?

Thanks a lot

bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

Pierre

thank you Markus...
I can't wait to put both projects together, i pretty much have all components for your 9V Electric Mistress and the TZF board...and definitively I'll give it a try in my A/DA...

Dagreb

Mark Hammer said:
QuoteThe Line 6 Liqui-Flange does very nice stereo TZF, and having the TZF move around across two amps is little short of mesmerizing.  Stick a decent fuzz ahead of the flanger so you get lots of harmonic content to comb filter and its damn near paralyzing

Dagreb says:Good to know. The TZF project is beyond me, so....y'know

Dagreb

i'm a doofus. had to edit my post......

markusw

Quote from: Pierre on August 29, 2007, 05:03:05 PM
thank you Markus...
I can't wait to put both projects together, i pretty much have all components for your 9V Electric Mistress and the TZF board...and definitively I'll give it a try in my A/DA...

After heaving read puretube's "guidelines" on  having two separate delay lines in http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=25380.msg166584#msg166584 I now would design the TZF add-on board differently.
Although I didn't notice in the first tests there is a bit of clock noise when the TZF board is switched in.
So it might be a good idea to at least filter the signal going into the second SAD1024. One could e.g. simply duplicate the output filter stage of the TZF add-on board and put it in front of the SAD's input.

Re ADA: I really like the ADA as it is because it's damn close to TZF, especially if you run the clock a bit higher. Also I would be afraid to introduce some clock noise into a really quiet circuit. So in case of the ADA I would go for an external fixed delay.

BTW, recently we compared an original deluxe Mistress with my DIY 9V Mistress. While the sound of those two units is a matter of taste we got serious clock noise when we put the Deluxe in front of the 9V Mistress even when the deluxe was in bypass. So obviously there is some clock noise emitted from the deluxe Mistress that casues heterodyning in combination with my 9V Mistress (this was independent of TZF).

Regards,

Markus

Ry

QuoteI really like the ADA as it is because it's damn close to TZF, especially if you run the clock a bit higher

What did you do to run the clock higher on the ADA, change the cap values?  I can dig through the ADA flanger thread if you documented it there, but I was hoping you would remember quickly.

I'm still not entirely happy with the clock on mine.

Ry

Pierre

QuoteAfter heaving read puretube's "guidelines" on  having two separate delay lines in http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=25380.msg166584#msg166584 I now would design the TZF add-on board differently.
Although I didn't notice in the first tests there is a bit of clock noise when the TZF board is switched in.
So it might be a good idea to at least filter the signal going into the second SAD1024. One could e.g. simply duplicate the output filter stage of the TZF add-on board and put it in front of the SAD's input.

...having the TZF PCB allready done (and a couple of spare SAD1024's) do you think is still worth to give it try..?
One more question :
where should i connect the "bypass" pad in your Mistress project...? (this is maybe a dumb question... :icon_redface:)...
Thank you !!!

StephenGiles

Quote from: Ry on September 01, 2007, 11:25:21 AM
QuoteI really like the ADA as it is because it's damn close to TZF, especially if you run the clock a bit higher

What did you do to run the clock higher on the ADA, change the cap values?  I can dig through the ADA flanger thread if you documented it there, but I was hoping you would remember quickly.

Look at the circuit and see how the clock is bufferred - that is the trick.

Ry
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Ry

QuoteLook at the circuit and see how the clock is bufferred - that is the trick.

Ah, so I assume that you mean change the values of the resistors on either side of T4, the 'Max Clock' trimmer to allow more voltage into the op amp buffer before the 4007?  Or is it something downstream of this?

I should just dig through the huge ADA flanger thread and make a useable FAQ out of it, I suppose.

Thanks,

Ry

Branimir

Sorry for the off topic, I've tried searching the forums for the answer, but what does TZF means?
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

QSQCaito

D.A.C

markusw

Quote from: Ry on September 01, 2007, 11:25:21 AM

Ry

In my build I used for  C29 47p plus 1M for R69. This might allow for higher clock frequencies. However, I believe it should be also possible with the 39p/2M2 combination.
Basically, you should be able to acchieve higher clock frequencies by tweaking T4 (max %^&* trim) and T5 (clock range).
First I checked the available frequency range with a frequency counter. Max clock frequency IIRC was around 4 MHz (measured at the SAD). Then adjusted it by ear and found that I liked it best if the clock went up to about 2,5 MHz.

Hope this helps.

Markus

markusw

Quote from: Pierre on September 01, 2007, 01:56:57 PM

...having the TZF PCB allready done (and a couple of spare SAD1024's) do you think is still worth to give it try..?
One more question :
where should i connect the "bypass" pad in your Mistress project...? (this is maybe a dumb question... :icon_redface:)...
Thank you !!!

If you already have the PCB I think it's defintely worth a try. With the switch you can always switch to non-TZF for comparison.
If clock noise is too much you can still remove the TZF PCB or add a filter to it's input to see if this improves the situation.
Maybe first check it out without the TZF board and once you know how it sounds mod it for TZF. This way you know about noise levels without modification.

The bypass pad is for non-true bypass.

Regards,

Markus

Pierre

I was thinking...what if I put the TZF board in a separate enclosure, will this attenuate some of the noise..? :icon_rolleyes:

markusw

Quote from: Pierre on September 02, 2007, 04:52:31 AM
I was thinking...what if I put the TZF board in a separate enclosure, will this attenuate some of the noise..? :icon_rolleyes:

This is probably a good idea! You could replace the Clock trim pot with a panel mount pot.
Also there will be more space for modding the TZF board  ;)